BRC on a motorcycle, a how to guide & FAQ

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Eddie

Re: BRC on a motorcycle, a how to guide & FAQ

Post by Eddie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:36 am

That is genius. I do that with all my off road bikes. I despise allen keys though. I use black oxide bits. They do not rust and they are hard anodized so they are a bit stronger than the run of the mill bits. I use an awesome little 1\4"x5\16" ratchet thats just 5" long with it.

I also however have honed down my tool kit over years or riding into a compact single little roll that's barely bigger than a burrito that allows me to take care of anything on the bike short of splitting the engine cases.

Tire irons and an extendable ratchet for the wheels are ziptied to the frame of the bike.
FIGJAM wrote:Something I thought was genius.

Had a friend who was a machinist and had an old panhead.

Since he had access to them cheap, he replaced everything he could with grade 8 allen screws.

He could dismantle about 90% of his bike with a set of allen wrenches. 8)

Two-Wheeled-Adventure
Burning Since: 2013

Post by Two-Wheeled-Adventure » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:38 am

I quit carrying a tire iron years ago. I use my kickstand and the weight of the bike to break the bead. Compact tire tools do the rest just fine.
Don't sweat the petty things. Pet the sweaty things.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:20 am

Two-Wheeled-Adventure wrote:I quit carrying a tire iron years ago. I use my kickstand and the weight of the bike to break the bead. Compact tire tools do the rest just fine.
I've done that on numerous occasions as well.

Here is the problem doing it on the road.....you need a second motorcycle! Or one with just the perfect centerstand.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:09 pm

So who's riding in this year?

My house burned down a few months back, lost all my good lightweight and expensive camp gear, thankfully the bikes were across the street at the time.

Working on gear, might just go without and sad face my way into someones loving arms. :(

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:18 pm

I forgot his name but some guy who came on a bike, I think it was one of those BMW all-terrain things, from New York camped next to me.
He was pretty miserable! I ended up spotting him a few comforts, until he tried to make my girlfriend one of them. She didn't like that and I certainly considered it a case of trying to bite the hand that fed you, so I cut him off and left his ass to sweat and starve.

You can do it, I've seen it done. What I don't understand is WHY the fuck you'd want to have such a miserable time at Burning Man! I have a little convertible sports car that I would have WAY more fun driving than my truck, but it isn't about the damn drive. You can go on a drive any time you want.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:11 pm

I've been to the playa a number of times on 2 wheels, never miserable. This year however I simply lost all my gear to a house fire. I have some main items.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:18 pm

That really sucks about the fire, I can't imagine everything in my garage burning up. Ugh.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:05 pm

I'm in an apt, no garage, the only reason I still have a few camping items is because a friend had em. I lent him some stuff for a camping trip a few weeks before the fire. I got out of there with a pair of pants and my dog.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”