BRC on a motorcycle, a how to guide & FAQ

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Eddie

Postby Eddie » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:28 am

Hey guys,
Been doing a ton of research on going to BM while being self contained. Whether it be by motorcycle, bicycle, or on foot.

Before you think it’s not possible, I’ve done it, and so have a small number of others. I have plenty of motorcycle travel experience and plenty of desert camping and survival experience. This is simply combining the two.

As for my experience my longest ride has been 6 months riding through N. America, that trip was roughly 20k or so slow going miles. I also have plenty of friends who have traveled around the world on two wheels of which brains I've picked endlessly about their respective trips, some two up (meaning man and woman on 1 bike with the bike carrying all their gear as opposed to a solo rider).

I'm currently getting ready to embark on a trip down to Brazil for Carnivale from NYC, again, on two wheels. (That is if I can get my finances in order and sell one of my bikes soon).

Ok enough about me, I thought I would put this together for those who want to go but are worried about the logistics and equipment of spending 8 or possibly more days in the desert with just what they can carry on their bike.

There will no doubt be many naysayers replying shortly saying it's not possible, I can pretty much guarantee that they all have never tried. There ARE riders who have gone to BM self contained. I've had naysayers tell me it's not possible to ride 1000 miles in under 24hrs but I and thousands of others have done it hundreds of times, it actually only takes 16hrs. Or that it is not possible to ride a motorcycle around the world, but again, there are hundreds if not thousands of people who have done it.

THE PLAN, GEAR, PACKING and WATER CARRIER.

I happen to have a large touring bike, a Kawasaki Concours. I upgraded the factory 30 liter panniers to 50 liter GIVI panniers. I added a 70 liter trunk on a custom rack. For road trips I usually remove the trunk and just use a large waterproof duffel bag strapped to the backseat, this way if I happen to pick up a chick willing to deal with a biker who's been on the road for weeks sans shower I just transfer the duffel to the rack and she takes the back seat. Anyway, the bag is a Cabelas boundary waters duffel, It's 2ft wide by 1ft deep and 1ft tall giving me roughly liters of storage space. It's compression straps are generously long and allow me to strap something to the top of it using it's own compression straps. It's also rectangular instead of round, this gives you roughly a 30% increase in storage space over a 24"x12" round duffel. That really helps and the rectangular shape lends itself better to packing awkwardly shaped items like that Pamela Anderson blow up doll you found at that pawn shop in Reno.

This bag contains my “luxury” camping equipment and an extra set of riding pants which are bulky. The bag is usually only about 2\3rds full. This includes

1. MSR Velo tent, 2 person with a generous 40 cubic ft vestibule, large enough for two to sit comfortably in camp chairs with a table in between in case of harsh weather.
2. Slumberjack Diablo sleeping bag, an extra wide, rectangular summer bag rated at 40 degrees.
3. Kelty fleece sleeping bag liner. This can also be used as a lightweight bag or combined with the slumberjack sleeping bag to create a two person sleeping bag in case I am fortunate enough to require it.
3.5 I forgot to list the sleeping pad, it's an Exped Downmat 9DLX, VERY warm. Air mattress' suck. They do not offer any insulation and most cheaper ones go flaccid (unlike me mind you) in the middle of the night when you need them most. Especially in an environment where the day and night temps can differ by 50 degrees. Make sure your air pump has fresh batteries. You will use it every single night.
4. Space all season blanket. This is great, I use it as a ground cloth under the tent in rocky terrain, inside the tent with the reflective surface up in cold weather, in the vestibule in case my friends $20 walmart special tent collapses in the wind and they need shelter. Or a picnic blanket or work space in case I need to fix a flat in the middle of the desert and don't want to lose all the nuts and bolts. You can also use it as a small tarp or make a small lean to shelter. They are much thicker and sturdier than the 2 for a dollar emergency blankets and they only cost about $10 or $12.
5. MSR Dragonfly stove, one of the few camp stoves capable of taking the place of a standard stovetop burner. It’s strong enough to hold up a 5 gallon pot of water and has a large and hot enough flame to bring it to a boil with the fuel capacity to keep it boiling for a good long time.
6. Jetboil, redundant? Maybe, but they both get used on trips, especially if I'm cooking for 4
7. GSI or GCI hard anodized cook set which includes, 2 pots, 2 pans, inside I have an extra steel bowl, utensils, packets of oatmeal, hot chocolate, tea, sugar, microfiber towel and some other stuff.
8. second pair of riding pants
9. a few cartons of smokes if passing a reservation
10. A camp chair! Yes I must be getting too old to sit on the floor. I have a few different models that pack down very small, you can get a $5 walmart special and use it once and throw it away or buy a nice one and use it for 20 years. I have a Kermit chair, which is a beautiful hand made chair made in Tennessee, a GSI or GCI PICO chair which folds down to the size of a large laptop and a GSI or GCI sling chair which breaks down to the size of a 1.5l bottle of soda. Only choose the later if you are light and nimble because you will sit very low to the ground. EDIT: There are a few others on the market now that pack small and are comfy. The REI flexlite, Monarch butterfly (and a few other Monarch models) and the Big Agnes Helinox
11. high tech material camp towel. I have a few, they are light, dry fast, soak up lots of liquid. I like the MSR pack towl personally but there are other brands that I'm sure are exactly the same.

I can get away with less than half this gear if I switch to my lightweight camping gear, in which case it all goes into a 30 liters Kriega dry pack. But thats only for 1 night camps where I stop only to sleep and break camp and continue with my trip the next morning.

lightweight camping gear in the pack includes

Eureka Back Country 2 tent
Big Agnes Summit Park sleeping bag
Exped Downmat 9DLX sleeping pad.
Space all weather blanket

Yes I realize that that is not technically lightweight gear, but the compromise between lightweight, bulkyness, and price is fine by me. If I were carrying it on my back that would be another story, but my motorcycle can handle carrying a 3lb tent instead of me buying a $600 12oz tent.

WATER

I have an idea for water that should work well. If your google fu is strong search for "Swedish 5 g bladder". It's a large rubber water bladder that holds 5 gallons. Each corner has sturdy grommets so you can lash it down. It's doubles as a camp shower as well. Anyway, an idea I had was to pack two and fill them in town just before coming into BRC. I should already have roughly a gallon or so with me in my water bottle plus my nalgene. This will give me 11 gallons of water. Or 1.5 gallons of water for 7 days. I do hope the roads aren't completely terrible on that last stretch, water weighs roughly 8.6lbs a gallon, multiplied by 10, plus the weight of the thick bladders themselves that’s 90 lbs! Which isn't in of itself too bad, it's still lighter than a passenger.

FOOD

Since space is a luxury I am forced to carry small and simple foods. Freeze dried or meals that require nothing more than some boiled water added to it. This is going to be tough because I like to cook. I can probably get away with buying some fish or steak before getting to BRC but only enough to eat on the first few days. Rather not try and keep meats frozen for much longer than that, unless of course I can get some seriously frozen ones. One of the guys who may come with me is Kosher, that’s gonna suck to be him! But it will put a hamper on cooking for me as I would like to at least appease him somewhat. Hopefully not enough for me to be vegan for the week.

COOLER

For years I have been using Polar Bear coolers. These things are great, they keep food frozen longer than most high end hard sided coolers. They happen to also make medical coolers designed to hold organs for transport. Try not to mix up your liver with your liquor. Anyway, they pack flat so I can pull it out in town and fill it before BRC. I currently have two of their medium sized coolers but will pick up their largest before BM. Since my rear rack will be empty, carrying the 48 pack loaded cooler will be no problem. My plan is 1 block of dry ice along with the food. I do not require my water to be cold to drink but will keep 1 gallon of cold on hand at all times in case I want a swig of cool water or at least some cool water to wet a bandana with to wrap around my neck when the mercury rises.

SHADE

Shade will be simple, if the trailer below will not be used then my plan is a simple 16' tarp and pole setup. With the SW section low to the ground it should withstand all but the gnarliest of dust storms. If my poles are hollow on the low end I may pick up some rebar to aid in structural stability of the poles. The guy lines will all be doubles using 2 MSR groundhog stakes each or 12" Military W stakes. Oh, before you say nothing but rebar will work, I have used the ground hogs on the playa numerous times, they hold just fine. In fact I needed vice grips to get em out.

TRAILER

Ok, if I want any sort of resemblance of comfort for 8 days I am considering a small pull behind trailer. I do not "need" to go this route, and will most likely only do it if I end up riding in solo. If my two buddies plan on riding with we can split the load amongst ourselves and then the trailer will not be needed.

If I do go the trailer route my plan is to stop by a harbor freight or tractor supply or other similar type place in the last major city before Gerlach and buy a small 40" x 48" trailer. I just put together a hitch for my bike and will wire up the necessary wiring harness for it shortly. These little trailers are cheap, about $100-$150.

Since the trailer is a bare chassis with just a frame and no actual base there are a few options to accommodate loading it. One would be to take a ride to a home depot, lowes or lumber supply place and have them cut a 1\2"-3\4" piece of treated plywood to size which I would then bolt to the frame. I would use eye bolts so that I would have tie down points all along the perimeter.

Another option would be to take a ride to an evilmart, whether Wally or K and buy a couple of large 50 or so gallon plastic containers and bolting those directly to the frame or simply strapping them down if they are larger than the opening of the bare trailer. The same can be done with a large cooler.

Here is a link to someones project on expeditionportal utilizing the trailer. Many motorcycles use these in conjunction with a car rooftop cargo carrier as a cheap pull behind trailer instead of dropping a few thousand on a bushtec or other brand name motorcycle trailer.
www.expeditionportal.com/forum/archive/ ... 61389.html

Last year I did not end up using the trailer, nor did I end up using the Swedish army bladders. I just bribed someone to bring me some water. Food was not a problem as I had friends in 4 different camps that kept me very well fed. But don’t rely on that yourselves.

Questions? Hints, tips, advice?

Sic Pup

Re: BRC on a motorcycle, a how to guide & FAQ

Postby Sic Pup » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:39 am

Very comprehensive, well done. I have three questions:

Is that tent able to withstand the conditions on the playa?

How are you staking it down?

Which pawn shop in Reno?
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:23 am

Sic Pup wrote:Very comprehensive, well done. I have three questions:

Is that tent able to withstand the conditions on the playa?

How are you staking it down?

Which pawn shop in Reno?

Yes it can handle the conditions of the playa and has. It's rated to 40 or 60mph winds, mesh panels fully seal, self healing zippers (even with caked playa you can get out).

I also "cheat" I make sure there is a wind break between it and the SW. Usually thats my bike or an RV. The latter however is often worse because now you have winds coming at you solely from the lower 12". with no RV it would hit higher on the tent and simply flow right off.

Stakes were MSR Ground Hog stakes, they are short but the triple edge works great in the playa. I also have\brought but did not use old military W stakes.

The pawn shop is right behind larry flints hustler club.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Hey Eddie! Nice work. :D

Clearly it's not that BRC on a motorcycle can't be done--it's just that many ePlayans are weary of 1) trying to explain to virgins what an undertaking it would be, and because 2) new people often lack the social connections to guarantee supplemental food or water (and leaving it to the kindness of strangers is irresponsible to say the least).

So you've done a great thing in outlining your strategy, because it's not only useful information, but gives new folks an idea of the degree of the challenge.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:45 pm

Hasn't Simon done it?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:01 pm

He sure has, but every so oftne someone asks if its possible. and 17 people say it is not, until a few people (like simon) chime in to disagree.

Thought having a step by step guide would be nice.

Kickstand
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Snowballs in Hell / iffy-Pop / Run Free

Postby Kickstand » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:33 pm

Nicely done, Eddie. You are a beast!!! Love it.

I rode last year, but had a full camp with truck and stuff not far behind me. This year I scored an early entry pass. I'll be there four, maybe five days before the showers and hot food shows up, so I'm going to run through your list more carefully and pick up tips. Thanks, man, appreciate the effort.

This year I'll be on a v-strom with full givi panniers and topcase. Last year I was the ass-hat in a broken down Honda Hawk when my front light busted on exodus from all those ruts. I had to park it just outside the entrance, hitch a ride to Reno, and came back the next day with a rented truck to haul back to Reno and fix. It was a nightmare, but coming back to the playa while everyone was going home was a trip.

Keep the rubber side down and the sparkly side up!

Imagehttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3953848117568&l=ca961ef7a3

PS- Don't worry, I put the sign back. It will still be there this year!!!!

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:25 pm

Kickstand wrote:I'll be there four, maybe five days before the showers and hot food shows up, so I'm going to run through your list more carefully and pick up tips. Thanks, man, appreciate the effort.

I didn't have hot meals or showers my first three Burns . . . and I'm girly as fuck. Ask anybody.

. . . Okay, someone made me spaghetti once.

Anyway, that means almost anyone (with the right attitude) can do it. ;)

Two-Wheeled-Adventure
Burning Since: 2013

Postby Two-Wheeled-Adventure » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:05 am

Most Excellent!!!

I'll be arriving on bike as well. I've been hunting a trailer but most are far to fancy for my needs. The harbor freight just might do the trick if my riding companion can't carry the needed supplies on his bike. I'm on a 1200GS Adventure and can carry quite a bit. My good mate is on a much smaller ride. Those Swedish water bladders will do nicely in think. Thanks for the amazing post. My experience of desert survival is minimal at best. Can't think of a better intro than burning man.

Cheers
Don't sweat the petty things. Pet the sweaty things.

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Postby graidawg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:43 am

Savannah wrote:
Kickstand wrote: and I'm girly as fuck. Ask anybody.

Yes Savannah is the very definition of girly. as to the fuck bit i have no knowledge, but my best guess is yes she is a girly fuck (too far?)
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:44 am

Kickstand wrote:Nicely done, Eddie. You are a beast!!! Love it.

I rode last year, but had a full camp with truck and stuff not far behind me. This year I scored an early entry pass. I'll be there four, maybe five days before the showers and hot food shows up, so I'm going to run through your list more carefully and pick up tips. Thanks, man, appreciate the effort.

This year I'll be on a v-strom with full givi panniers and topcase. Last year I was the ass-hat in a broken down Honda Hawk when my front light busted on exodus from all those ruts. I had to park it just outside the entrance, hitch a ride to Reno, and came back the next day with a rented truck to haul back to Reno and fix. It was a nightmare, but coming back to the playa while everyone was going home was a trip.

Keep the rubber side down and the sparkly side up!

Imagehttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3953848117568&l=ca961ef7a3

PS- Don't worry, I put the sign back. It will still be there this year!!!!

Hey Chris, where are you riding in from? I had a Hawk GT also, two actually. I loooooove Hawks. But a touring bike it is not. I tried, but since I have a Concours I take that on anything longer than a long weekend ride. My Hawk had a Corbin seat with backrest, a custom rack with a GIVI top case. I had some small hard locking police saddlebags but then I got a set of Ortlieb throwovers, they were much larger and more waterproof.

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:51 am

Two-Wheeled-Adventure wrote:Most Excellent!!!

I'll be arriving on bike as well. I've been hunting a trailer but most are far to fancy for my needs. The harbor freight just might do the trick if my riding companion can't carry the needed supplies on his bike. I'm on a 1200GS Adventure and can carry quite a bit. My good mate is on a much smaller ride. Those Swedish water bladders will do nicely in think. Thanks for the amazing post. My experience of desert survival is minimal at best. Can't think of a better intro than burning man.

Cheers

I wouldn't use a nice fancy trailer for the playa, the dust will eat right through the bearings. The harbor freight trailer is $100, and will work just fine. Bolt a 50 gallons plastic container to it or strap it down. Hell you can fit two of them on there, maybe 3.

The GS should have enough space though that you don't need it. Do you have a set of panniers on it? Ditch the trunk and replace it with a large waterproof duffel. The Cabelas boundary waters works nicely, you have the space to get the larger one, run it the long way where it sits on the passenger seat and rack. This way you have some space on top of the panniers for a couple of other dry bags.

Where are you riding in from?

Kickstand

Postby Kickstand » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:04 am

Eddie wrote:Hey Chris, where are you riding in from? I had a Hawk GT also, two actually.

Coming in from San Francisco. The Hawk was my buddy's- payback from when I lent him my Jeep for a playa trip years ago. But really like the Hawk- it's one of those bikes they just got right. But yes, kinda shitty touring machines!

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:11 am

Eddie wrote: COOLER

For years I have been using Polar Bear coolers. These things are great, they keep food frozen longer than most high end hard sided coolers. They happen to also make medical coolers designed to hold organs for transport. Try not to mix up your liver with your liquor. Anyway, they pack flat so I can pull it out in town and fill it before BRC. I currently have two of their medium sized coolers but will pick up their largest before BM. Since my rear rack will be empty, carrying the 48 pack loaded cooler will be no problem. My plan is 1 block of dry ice along with the food. I do not require my water to be cold to drink but will keep 1 gallon of cold on hand at all times in case I want a swig of cool water or at least some cool water to wet a bandana with to wrap around my neck when the mercury rises.

It is my understanding that there is no way to just keep things cold in a cooler with dry ice - it will freeze everything in the cooler. You may need to rethink this part if only bringing one cooler.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:26 pm

Drawingablank wrote:
Eddie wrote: COOLER

It is my understanding that there is no way to just keep things cold in a cooler with dry ice - it will freeze everything in the cooler. You may need to rethink this part if only bringing one cooler.

it's for meat

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:39 pm

Regardless of what you put in there, I think it'll be something of a challenge. It's kind of the nature of working with dry ice, IMO. I've had campmates try them before, once didn't do so well with separation and the items closest to the ice were frozen solid, and I think everyone who'd tried was pretty much unable to keep it from sublimating after a day or two. None of those are catastrophic issues, you just end up having to switch over to ice from Arctica once the dry ice cooling's over, and if something gets frozen solid you change up your menu so you're eating it later in the week (sure, you could probably pull it out and thaw it, but it's probably better to let it keep other stuff in your cooler cold for as long as possible).

Good luck with the plans!

SirSlackworthy
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ASTRO SHACK JaVa JoINt

Postby SirSlackworthy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:44 pm

Sounds like it will work. I've ridden a bike to BRC a couple of time, but that was years ago and connected with theme camps with scads of supplementals. But if you go minimal it's eminently do-able IMHO. I plan to try it some time without the external camp backup.

The question I have is this: how are bikes treated as traffic during entry / exodus? I can imagine that 6 hours of stop-and-go in 100-degree heat would play hell with the cooling system, not to mention the rider. The only times I took a bike was in '96, 97, and '99, when traffic was nothing like it is now. Is lane-splitting permitted? If so, you're golden. If not, could be a problem.

Does anyone know the BMORG official policy on this?
Dig this crazy scene, daddy-o!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:59 pm

GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:22 pm

SirSlackworthy wrote:The question I have is this: how are bikes treated as traffic during entry / exodus? I can imagine that 6 hours of stop-and-go in 100-degree heat would play hell with the cooling system, not to mention the rider. The only times I took a bike was in '96, 97, and '99, when traffic was nothing like it is now. Is lane-splitting permitted? If so, you're golden. If not, could be a problem.

Does anyone know the BMORG official policy on this?

I always come in at night.

But everyone I have ever spoken to, both here as well as out there said they would not mind a bike splitting.

The stowaway checkers walked back after checking the vehicle directly in front of me, I said HEY!, he didn't hear me so I rode up next to him, he yelled at me and said WTF do you think you're doing?

I said I just had a quick question.

Yea? what?

You're checking for stowaways right?

Yea.

I looked behind me at my duffle bag and said,

Unless you think I've got a midget in here I ain't got any. Can I pass through?

He said oh sure go right ahead.

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Just be careful!

More people get out of their vehicles than any car line anywhere, so watch out for that unexpected door opening. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

SirSlackworthy
Camp Name: ASTRO SHACK JaVa JoINt

Postby SirSlackworthy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:13 pm

Well yeah, there's the car door thing. And I can't imagine any graceful or safe way to sneak by the traffic on the road that branches off 447 and leads to the turn-off, what with dust on one side and oncoming traffic on the other.

So probably a night-time or late evening / early morning approach would be best. Not a concern this time, but I really do want to come on a bike again sometime.
Dig this crazy scene, daddy-o!

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:25 pm

SirSlackworthy wrote:Well yeah, there's the car door thing. And I can't imagine any graceful or safe way to sneak by the traffic on the road that branches off 447 and leads to the turn-off, what with dust on one side and oncoming traffic on the other.

So probably a night-time or late evening / early morning approach would be best. Not a concern this time, but I really do want to come on a bike again sometime.

Last year I just blasted past everyone. The slow speed limits and 10mph RVers just kept annoying me worse than NYC cabbies.

There were enough vehicles on the road that I didn't have to worry about LEOs

Kickstand

Postby Kickstand » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:43 pm

Last year I went at peak travel time on Sunday. Given the super uptight cop presence, I didn't want to break ANY laws. Not 1 mile over speed limit, not on the wrong side of a double line, and not lane sharing in Nevada (which is legal in CA, but not NV). So 447 is a challenge, because the RVs and trucks are a pain, and the new paving on 447 made all those dotted line center into double solid (very glad BMorg is helping pave the roads, REALLY annoyed with the double yellow crap). But I was able to pass RV traffic, especially the last 1/2 closer to the playa turnoff, without much issue. You really can't go on the shoulder side as too many people get out of their vehicles, but once or twice I "walked" my bike on that side to get around a particularly troublesome/slow/big vehicle. Yes it meant waiting sometimes when I KNEW I could have gone around faster, but quite a few of those times I *wanted* to go, I ended up seeing a cop coming the other way. It just isn't worth the hassle, ticket, searching, etc etc etc. It was still waaaaaaaayyyyy faster than being in a car.

As far as on the turnoff, I was told by BM staff that they WANT us to lane split and get to the gate without waiting in traffic. I was sort of sitting in the traffic because 1) it was dark and whiteout in line when I got there, and b) I didn't want to push my way on playa- the paved road was a different story, it's not like the RVs or cars could go anywhere in traffic, but on playa (before gate) I sorta felt like I should wait my turn. That's when the staff came up to *me*, pulled up the dividing rope on the side lane and said "we don't want you getting tired sitting here with all the cars, go up to the front." I zipped up the rest of the way and got right through (after picking up willcall). When I got to the gate, the guys there smiled and joked "so how many people did you piss off coming here???" And I replied "not as many as I plan to on Exodus." ;) lol... karma got me good.

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:59 am

i have also failed 3 times due to mechanical failure i could not fix on the road.

twice i hitched, one time grabbed a train, then hitched, carrying my fucking saddlebags thru the gate, over my shoulders.

if anything, i would say make sure your rubber, and your engine are up to snuff, nothing worse than not making it because you have to wait 3 days for a part, or worse, blow-out at 60 mph in the hot eastern oregon sun, or just plain old electrical issues because its a 73 honda cb750 w/ original wiring...

its not the desert that will kill you, its the idiots DRIVING RECKLESSLY to the playa that will...as i'm sure any 2 wheelers are aware...

thats the scariest 100 miles......the last ones....

AND...i almost forgot, i came THIS CLOSE to ruining my burn because i listened to a greeter who said it was OK TO RIDE IN BRC WITHOUT A HELMET, IT IS NOT!!! and thank god i was packed to the gills and the cop felt sorry for us and just gave us a friendly warning, he pulled us over literally one block away from the domes, so i had back-up and support that i was legit....it was insured and the plates were good, thank god...

yeah, inches away from major bullshit...

inches away from the camp...

thats how it happens so WEAR YOUR FUCKING HELMET INSIDE OF BRC, ITS THE LAW.

and if i ever find that greeter.....anyway, good luck, but it looks like you dont need it, you're well prepared as far as i can tell....way more than i ever was.
Frida Be You & Me

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:12 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:its not the desert that will kill you, its the idiots DRIVING RECKLESSLY to the playa that will...as i'm sure any 2 wheelers are aware...

Those idea of those last 100 miles scare me even as a regular driver. :shock: @#$% cows and rabbits, all those blind curves, no shoulder to speak of, the remoteness . . . and the likelihood of encountering some idiot who thinks he can drive all that at normal highway speeds.

Kickstand

Postby Kickstand » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:16 pm

Savannah wrote: . . . and the likelihood of encountering some idiot who thinks he can drive all that at normal highway speeds.

cracked windshields, cracked axles, cracked heads, and cracked pots. They're ALLLLLLL goin' home. Be safe. :D

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:01 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:i have also failed 3 times due to mechanical failure i could not fix on the road.

ouch

Simon of the Playa wrote:twice i hitched, one time grabbed a train, then hitched, carrying my fucking saddlebags thru the gate, over my shoulders.

If you ever break down in the NYC area gimme a hollar. I'll come rescue you. I have a trailer in a bag just for that very reason, never needed it for my own bike mind you.

Simon of the Playa wrote:if anything, i would say make sure your rubber, and your engine are up to snuff, nothing worse than not making it because you have to wait 3 days for a part, or worse, blow-out at 60 mph in the hot eastern oregon sun, or just plain old electrical issues because its a 73 honda cb750 w/ original wiring...

ahh, yea, riding a 40 year old bike cross country without tools and the mechanical ability to use em was probably not the wisest move. not that I haven't done exactly the same thing. But I at least had the tools and spares to fix shit on the road. You ever fix a busted head gasket on the side of the road on a 75 year old Danish bike using twine? I did, was not fun.

Simon of the Playa wrote:its not the desert that will kill you, its the idiots DRIVING RECKLESSLY to the playa that will...as i'm sure any 2 wheelers are aware...

I never had an issue on that road, probably because everyone was doing 12mph

Simon of the Playa wrote:AND...i almost forgot, i came THIS CLOSE to ruining my burn because i listened to a greeter who said it was OK TO RIDE IN BRC WITHOUT A HELMET, IT IS NOT!!! and thank god i was packed to the gills and the cop felt sorry for us and just gave us a friendly warning, he pulled us over literally one block away from the domes, so i had back-up and support that i was legit....it was insured and the plates were good, thank god...

yeah, inches away from major bullshit...

inches away from the camp...

if everything was legit how would it have ruined your burn? And I recall Nevada being a no helmet state. I'll double check, I ALWAYS wear my helmet, except after exodus when running around the playa doing cleanup and other randomness. At that point there isn't anyone around.

Simon of the Playa wrote:.....anyway, good luck, but it looks like you dont need it, you're well prepared as far as i can tell....way more than i ever was.

Thanks, yep, all set. Where are you camped this year?

Turns out I did well talking my friend and his wife into coming out to the playa this year, so I will probably just hop in their truck. I have no roadtrip plans for after the burn anyway so no worries about not riding out.

I WAS going to take a run up to Alaska after the burn and spend a month or so up there, but finances are in short supply for that trek.

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:29 pm

Something I thought was genius.

Had a friend who was a machinist and had an old panhead.

Since he had access to them cheap, he replaced everything he could with grade 8 allen screws.

He could dismantle about 90% of his bike with a set of allen wrenches. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:44 pm

eddie the bike was legal.

i on the other hand may or may not have had the appropriate papers ( renegade for 2 decades ) and yes, there is a helmet law in Nevada.
Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:56 pm

and the mechanical ability to use em

i can take my bikes apart and put them back together with my teeth if i have to.

#1 wiring issue, shorting out bike in rainstorms.....got so mad i gave it to some hippies in ohio at a rest stop. seriously. title and all.

#2 tire trashed, rim trashed, forks tweaked....fuck it....sold it for scrap basically.

#3 was a stator and i was in butt-fuck wyoming and they werent too fond of jap bikes, and were fucking with me on the part and how quickly i could get it, so i sold them the bike and put out a thumb.

fucking brooklyn, like we can't turn a wrench up here in WESTERN NEW YORK... :twisted:
Frida Be You & Me

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”