When can I show up to camp?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
ironmonkey
Burning Since: 2013

When can I show up to camp?

Post by ironmonkey » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:49 pm

Hey,

Super newb question:

If I show up at 6pm on Sunday with a regular ticket can I get in and setup?

Only asking because I know the gates open at that time but it doesn't actual begin until Monday.

Thanks in advance!

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Re: When can I show up to camp?

Post by DrYes » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:53 pm

Yes.

portaplaya

Post by portaplaya » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:57 pm

Just as Labor Day is basically pack-up day and has nothing going on, Sunday night is now set-up camp night. You are officially allowed to enter the city and begin your Burn on Sunday at 6pm.

Perhaps in the future they will include this as part of the range of dates on the ticket. But for now, the event's activities are considered to "start" on Monday, even though the gates are open the evening before.

Cabal
Camp Name: Biggest little camp

Post by Cabal » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Wow! That is awesome info portaplaya. The wife and I have been trying to put together a plan on either being there by 1 am when they say the gates open or around 6 am Monday when the sun comes up.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:44 pm

One important note: "gates open at 6 pm" does NOT equal getting in at 6 pm.

There will be multiple thousands of vehicles trying to get in at that time (from the time Gate opens through Monday is the popular period to arrive) - and showing up early means you could get shunted to a side-lot and not be allowed to enter BRC for hours. Aim to be there 6ish, you'll get in when you get in. Make sure you know how to set up your camp in the dark, and be prepared for a slow entry. It's all part of the fun. :D
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Cabal

Post by Cabal » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:05 pm

Shunted to the side lot Eric? What's the norm process of what you're talking about and how does the side lot get moving?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:23 pm

The side lot, or lot d, gets onto the playa, in reverse order of arrival, when the flood slows down some. People have reported very long waits.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:21 am

If you get put into D Lot you can be waiting for a long time. Basically, the Gate does not open until 6, period, and if you show up early you get "punished" by being made to wait until way later to get in - it could be hours and hours. They do not want to encourage people to show up early.

That said, there is nowhere in the surrounding area for people to wait - it's 2.5 hours from Reno (if you're lucky and there's no accidents), possibly longer, I wouldn't plan on leaving the Reno area before 4-4:30 earliest, and just be prepared for lots of traffic heading up with you. Make sure your stuff is secure before heading out, run over any rabbits that jump in-front of your car (really!), drive carefully. Don't pass people like an idiot, you will get a ticket for speeding so Do Not Do It, and remember that everyone is going the same place, so relax and enjoy the ride.

It's a lot less stressful if you get your mind into zen-mode on the drive up: things will happen when they happen. That mindset actually works pretty well for the whole week. Don't forget to hydrate on the drive up!
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Cabal

Post by Cabal » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:01 am

Got it, and you're right about the rabbits Eric. A dead rabbit is a car wreck avoided.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:28 am

Have snacks, water and a pee jug handy for the wait, especially at peak times.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:39 am

they have potties every 1/4 mile along the gate road
Don't link to anything here!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:56 am

Once you're heading North from Fernley:
  • ABSOLUTELY no speeding in the towns.
  • HEADLIGHTS ON, even during the day.
  • highly recommended you do not pass anybody. If you choose to do so, do so with extreme caution. If you're rushing, any time you ave is just going to be spend waiting in the line. No need to kill anyone getting there.
Burning Man Update: The Jack Rabbit Speaks
Volume 17, Issue #31 TRANSPORTATION & TRAFFIC
July 25, 2013
PYRAMID LAKE BURNING MAN TRAVEL ADVISORY
The Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe writes to say:

"The Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe would like to invite all Burning Man travelers to its native and sovereign lands. The Tribe would also like to advise all travelers to SLOW DOWN AND KEEP YOUR DISTANCE while traveling through the Pyramid Lake Paiute Reservation. All of the State Routes on the reservation are two lane roads and the Tribe would like motorists to turn on their headlights during the day and night, and be aware of the dangers associated with high speeds on two lane highways.

Due to the number vehicles traveling to and from the Burning Man Festival, motorists are advised to be extra cautious while traveling on any of the State Routes that run through the reservation. The entire Pyramid Lake Paiute Reservation is an open range area for livestock; motorists are to be cautious of livestock that may be on the highways. While passing though the Tribal communities of Wadsworth and Nixon, the Tribe requests that motorists be cautious of children and courteous to Tribal Members that may attempt to cross the highway, or that are accessing their homes, businesses, or Tribal Services.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:07 am

Canoe wrote:Once you're heading North from Fernley:
  • ABSOLUTELY no speeding in the towns.
To emphasize: Even if you're the sort of unpleasant person who doesn't care about putting others at risk with unsafe driving, you're putting yourself at huge risk to be pulled over. Do not go even 1 mph over the speed limit. The LEOs are watching and are very eager for some speeding ticket revenue and, perhaps, the opportunity to toss your vehicle if you're dumb and let them or give them probable cause.

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:52 am

Speaking of the highway north of Fernley - Last year we rented a 30 foot truck. While driving up that road I was doing about 7 mph under the speed limit (much to the annoyance of my son and rideshare) because the truck rode much more comfortably at that speed. Some maniac passed us and nearly had a head on with a big truck.

The youngsters didn't believe me when I said that guy nearly killed himself to get there 10 seconds before us ... but sure enough when we crossed the tracks at Gerlach he was 20 feet in front of us.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:01 am

lemur wrote:they have potties every 1/4 mile along the gate road
Don't do me much good... I need the deluxe model...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”