Bikes?>

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Galadrielle
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Charlie Unicorn

Bikes?>

Post by Galadrielle » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:09 pm

Hey!

Me and my friends need a bike, and I was wondering if anyone knew how to get a hold of one? are they still doing that service where you can reserve a bike before getting to the playa? Does anyone have an extra/want to trade?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Bikes?>

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:13 pm

The reserved bikes are all taken, long ago... plan on walking.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Here's the run down on bikes.
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p952179

Or you can get a new bike with big fat tires. A 4" tire cruiser fat bike for $199 at walmart, either in advance (store or online), or in Reno f they're not sold out when you get there.

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... st#p945474
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... 80#p964651
If you want it to last, you'll need to grease the hubs, bottom bracket and steering.

If they have some spare, the Kiwanis Bike Program will occasionally put some extra used bikes up at the Savemart Keystone, or at the Kiwanins bike building.

As the Community Bike Program bikes (Yellow Bikes) are in fact green in colour, I don't recommend getting a green bike, as a number of people will end up thinking you've taken a Yellow Bike as though it is yours.

You'll need a light. You'll need a lock. Use them.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

MikeGyver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by MikeGyver » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:13 pm

Playa will be horrible on a bike this year, save the effort, just walk.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Post by tatonka » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:28 pm

Mrpatatomoto wrote:Playa will be horrible on a bike this year, save the effort, just walk.
cause of the rain?
Tales told
Of battles won
Of things we've done
Caligula would grin

viajero loco

Post by viajero loco » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Mrpatatomoto wrote:Playa will be horrible on a bike this year, save the effort, just walk.
why is that? shouldn't be the floor much harder after the rain?
"If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Hiroshi Yamauch, CEO of Nintendo, 1989

atomicray

Post by atomicray » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:14 pm

viajero loco wrote:
why is that? shouldn't be the floor much harder after the rain?
Well after the playa has completely absorbed the moisture and the sun has baked the upper layer dry...otherwise it will become a peeling sheet of wet clay that will build upon itself creating a mass of icky sticky poo poo.
"Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane."
— H.P. Lovecraft

daft

Post by daft » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:52 pm

I was transporting bikes last month and knocked off in transit my front bike light on my BRC bike, oop$
It will be dry if it does not rain again, and if you are there and it rains, only go out barefoot. Fat tires rock as long as they do not rub your frame, lots of light as its crazy out there

oly14
Camp Name: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Post by oly14 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:07 am

Canoe wrote: As the Community Bike Program bikes (Yellow Bikes) are in fact green in colour, I don't recommend getting a green bike, as a number of people will end up thinking you've taken a Yellow Bike as though it is yours.

You'll need a light. You'll need a lock. Use them.
Whoops, birgin mistake. I already decorated my bike green. Granted, it doesn't look exactly like the Yellow Bikes but who's to say how impaired some of our fellow citizens will be. Have a lock; I'm going to have to be very diligent about using it.
BM Bike-sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Post by misfit » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:17 am

check craigslist.org ,,, plenty of good cheap bikes still avalible.......
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

Krokodyle
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too / Camp Space Hole

Post by Krokodyle » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:58 am

oly14 wrote:Whoops, birgin mistake. I already decorated my bike green. Granted, it doesn't look exactly like the Yellow Bikes but who's to say how impaired some of our fellow citizens will be. Have a lock; I'm going to have to be very diligent about using it.
Decorate it some more! I suggest putting a basket on it (I ziptied a cheap yet sturdy plastic basket to the front of mine), functional *and* will help make yours look different. Love the antennas, btw.
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.

"DON'T TELL ME HOW TO BURN©®"

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”