Driving an RV from LA to BRC - Routes and Grades

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
eljusticero
Burning Since: 2013

Driving an RV from LA to BRC - Routes and Grades

Post by eljusticero » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:02 am

Hi all,

I'm planning to drive a 26' RV from LA to BRC, and I was looking for some advice on the best route.

I'm trying to decide between the American Dream route (395 to Reno), and the Spooky Desert (taking 395 to Bishop, then veering right on 6 to 95 in order to avoid the grades on 395 post-Bishop).

For a variety of reasons, I think I would prefer to take the American Dream, but I've heard that the Spooky Desert is better for those with a heavy load.

I was hoping to get some advice on just how bad the grades are on 395, for a group of RV-inexperienced drivers, driving up a new rental RV (that hopefully won't be prone to breaking down). Is it a bit annoying, but fine, or is it much safer and better to stick to US 6? I don't want to risk an accident!

Thanks so much for any advice!!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Driving an RV from LA to BRC - Routes and Grades

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:49 am

That has been covered on thsi board before, more than once I"m sure. If you don't get satisfactory results with the search function, try "eplaya" and the highway names on Google.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

MikeGyver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by MikeGyver » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:05 am

eljusticero wrote:Hi all,

I'm planning to drive a 26' RV from LA to BRC, and I was looking for some advice on the best route.

I'm trying to decide between the American Dream route (395 to Reno), and the Spooky Desert (taking 395 to Bishop, then veering right on 6 to 95 in order to avoid the grades on 395 post-Bishop).

For a variety of reasons, I think I would prefer to take the American Dream, but I've heard that the Spooky Desert is better for those with a heavy load.

I was hoping to get some advice on just how bad the grades are on 395, for a group of RV-inexperienced drivers, driving up a new rental RV (that hopefully won't be prone to breaking down). Is it a bit annoying, but fine, or is it much safer and better to stick to US 6? I don't want to risk an accident!

Thanks so much for any advice!!
With a newer rental RV you shouldn't have any problems with the grades, But most people with a heavy load (unless they need to go through reno) will job over to the 95. Your going up steep grades no matter what (I think 95 actually has one steeper one) but staying on the 395 has the one really long grade that is prone to overheating.

But as Fishy said, Look it up, you'll find much more detailed information.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

bzlnguy
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: CouchBurners

Post by bzlnguy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:17 pm

I don't see any advantage on taking the 395 all the way unless you need to pass through Reno, specially if you'll be driving at night... The 395 at the Sierra is prone to have animals crossing the road fairly often, and I've also encountered rocks on the lanes on that region from Bridgeport to Carson City. Nothing too threatening if you're careful, but certainly not an advantage.

MrMullen

Post by MrMullen » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:40 pm

bzlnguy wrote:I don't see any advantage on taking the 395 all the way unless you need to pass through Reno, specially if you'll be driving at night... The 395 at the Sierra is prone to have animals crossing the road fairly often, and I've also encountered rocks on the lanes on that region from Bridgeport to Carson City. Nothing too threatening if you're careful, but certainly not an advantage.

The route from LA to BRC via 395 is better for several reasons; Faster and just plain prettier! I-5N is the bleakest drive in the US. However, if your RV is a real beater, stay on the I-5N so that you stay in cell phone range and CHP finds you faster.
--
Mr Mullen

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”