Wheelchair user at Burning Man

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Wheelchair user at Burning Man

Post by lucky420 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:24 pm

MrMAKdaddy!

I sent you an email/pm. :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

mrMAKdaddy
Burning Since: 2014

Post by mrMAKdaddy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:49 am

lucky420 wrote:MrMAKdaddy!

I sent you an email/pm. :coffee:
Hi Lucky420

I have emailed you back, thanks for your help!! :D :D

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:25 am

Not being a wheelchair user myself, you need to take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. My point of reference is bikes, and based upon that experience I would say a wider tire is much better.

If it rains, understand that you're not moving until it dries regardless what tires you put on the chair/bike/truck. Even the off-road chair I posted above with tank treads might have an issue moving on a wet playa.

Playa mud is much like bubblegum mixed with concrete and coated in gorilla snot. You basically get about 2 or 3 wheel rotations until you are hopelessly stuck, so when it rains you need to quickly find the nearest cover and make it a point to get to know the owners. You'll be there a while! Movement just is not possible or safe. Even the big 4-wheel drive trucks made for off-road mud duty get themselves hopelessly mired. Fortunately however, the playa dries quickly. Give it a couple of hours and you're back on the roll.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

mrMAKdaddy

Post by mrMAKdaddy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:36 am

GreyCoyote wrote:Not being a wheelchair user myself, you need to take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. My point of reference is bikes, and based upon that experience I would say a wider tire is much better.

If it rains, understand that you're not moving until it dries regardless what tires you put on the chair/bike/truck. Even the off-road chair I posted above with tank treads might have an issue moving on a wet playa.

Playa mud is much like bubblegum mixed with concrete and coated in gorilla snot. You basically get about 2 or 3 wheel rotations until you are hopelessly stuck, so when it rains you need to quickly find the nearest cover and make it a point to get to know the owners. You'll be there a while! Movement just is not possible or safe. Even the big 4-wheel drive trucks made for off-road mud duty get themselves hopelessly mired. Fortunately however, the playa dries quickly. Give it a couple of hours and you're back on the roll.
Thanks for this information GreyCoyote it is extremely useful, I understood that it was bad when it rained on the playa but didn'y realise it was that bad! I like your description of the playa mud really got my mind thinking about what it was like you don't want to know about the images that popped in to my head especially the "Gorilla Snot" haha.

I liked the off road chair you posted earlier in the messages just wish I could get hold of one + transport it haha.

Thanks again

The Rat Lady
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Mobility Camp

Post by The Rat Lady » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:12 pm

Bigger, smooth balloon style tires, NOT knobby off road style tires and under-inflate them, then they can "float" on top of the dust. For Mobility scooters we often use smooth wheelbarrow tires. If you use a manual chair, look into a 3rd wheel attachment that attaches to the front of your chair, lifts up the small front caster wheels and basically turns your chair into a trike. Makes a huge difference!
One of our campers in Mobility Camp last year from Germany had a Swiss made "puller" attachment that hooked onto the front of his manual chair and it went through some amazingly deep drifts!
I would not recommend a hand cycle unless you are used to using one for hours on end. It sucks to use one for a day, and then have your arms too sore to push your chair even in camp.
There is more info about how to prepare your equipment and about Mobility Camp in general on our website brcdoa.com.
It certainly can be done in a chair!

Rat Lady
"Outside of a dog, books are man's best friends. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read!"
Groucho Marx

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:41 pm

I'll make that a link, so it's easier (at least mentally) to get there.
http://brcdoa.com/
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

The Rat Lady
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Mobility Camp

Post by The Rat Lady » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks fishy:)
"Outside of a dog, books are man's best friends. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read!"
Groucho Marx

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:41 am

IF you are considering a power chair; some of the dust bowls or drifts can be 6" deep or more. In outer playa, the surface forms a 'crust' from the previous years rain. Depending on the amount of rain, this crust varies in thickness. It may turn out 1" crust over 3" dust with camp hard pack underneath.

The above conditions SUCK POWER. If you could get 5 miles out of a battery charge on hard surface like concrete, it may only be 1 mile on playa.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:48 am

Of course.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

mrMAKdaddy

Post by mrMAKdaddy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:55 am

Hi ALL,

Sorry it as taken a while to reply I have been extremely busy at work! Cant wait for this trip to get away from it all for a while :).

Thanks for the advise ExpressoDude, I have decided to go for a power assisted handcycle as this allows the front wheels to be lifted from the ground, which many people are recommending, it also allows me to benefit from not having to manually cycle all of the time and give my arms a break, furthermore if the battery does go on the handcycle I can manually cycle the chair back to my RV. But most of importantly it was affordable, picked a bargain up on ebay :).

Thanks also The Rat Lady I have sent you a private message and I have visited the brcdoa website which is very helpful. I am currently looking into purchasing some smooth, wide tyres for the playa!

theCryptofishist wrote:I'll make that a link, so it's easier (at least mentally) to get there.
http://brcdoa.com/
Thanks for the Link Fishy :).

mrMAKdaddy

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:39 am

Spotted this at Lake Havasu City Western Pyrotechnic Association Winter Blast last week. Probably the ultimate transportation for a wheelchair user
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE

Lehtoga
Burning Since: 1988

Post by Lehtoga » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:59 pm

My name is Gary I've gone for years, with a free wheel you can grab the back of a friends bike and be like a side car. You'll need gloves with out finger tips the best. This works for small short trips but going deep playa and at night not a good ideal. I use a gas golf cart with hand controls is best way to see everything without killing Yourslef. Driving a car on the playa sucks because most people don't understand why your driving and give you weird looks. Some art cars are accessible, but your on their schedule. I'll be camped at 6:30 and H and I'll let you borrow the golf cart for some deep trips.
http://www.gofreewheel.com/

Cheers
-Gary

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:10 pm

Lehtoga wrote:Driving a car on the playa sucks because most people don't understand why your driving and give you weird looks.
True.
The Lady with a Lamprey

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:04 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Lehtoga wrote:Driving a car on the playa sucks because most people don't understand why your driving and give you weird looks.
True.
Yes some people are downright assholes about it!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:52 am

Looks like Gary's used this. It does make a bit of sense to get a longer wheelbase, and a larger wheel out front, so the little wheels don't dig straight down into a dust rut. freewheel.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:57 am

With a quick-release, I wonder if you'd dare setup a tow rope from a bicycle, like they tow gliders up with?
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

*Kat*
Burning Since: 2010

Post by *Kat* » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:44 am

Gary has already chimed in, so I'll just add this:
You (or anyone using a wheelchair) is also welcome to camp with us at Camp Shit Ain't Right. We are 100% accessible (as accessible as the playa will allow it anyway), but there's no rules or fees for the camp. Just let us know you'll be coming well in advance.

- Kat
Sometimes even 15 minutes on the street clock is a world away! A letter of the alphabet can be an entire light-year, a galaxy, a universe. - AntiM

mrMAKdaddy

Post by mrMAKdaddy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:44 pm

Thanks Gary, Kat and Elorrum for your input it is much appreciated.

I have slipped a little on the replies due to not getting a ticket in the first release but I am hoping to get one from the STEP programme. I already have a Freewheel which I purchased for my trip to thailand and it worked a treat, so I am happy to hear that It also works well on the PLAYA I have also purchased a cougar electronically powered handcycle which I am also bring with me.

Thanks Lehtoga and Kat for your offer to camp with you and use your golf cart for a trip deep in to the playa I really do appreciate it! I will have a chat with my friends and get back you about this via a PM.

Expressodude that looks awesome would definitely be the best way to get around ha :)

Thanks again Everyone

Danny

*Kat*

Post by *Kat* » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:03 am

Espressodude: Except with a fine device like that you might find yourself at Arctica most of the time hauling in ice for... everybody ;)
Sometimes even 15 minutes on the street clock is a world away! A letter of the alphabet can be an entire light-year, a galaxy, a universe. - AntiM

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:15 am

a little over done with the weapons , but the tracks would work great.

Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:18 am

tatonka wrote:Image
Clearly an Old School 'Burner from the days when guns were allowed and the Shooting Gallery was open for business! :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:28 am

Yeah, nice wheelchair.

(GC--in this case, omitting the descriptor "Drive-By" lessons the value, imho.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

*Kat*

Post by *Kat* » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:33 am

I'm just wondering.... what WOULD you shoot with that? By the time you are done tearing up the undergrowth, all game would be gone. Apart from the stuff you just ran over. But I doubt you'd need a gun for that... ;)

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:34 am

Maybe the ADT security people...
The Lady with a Lamprey

*Kat*

Post by *Kat* » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:41 am

hehe.

OR all the guys who denied me the footage from their security cameras after my bike was stolen.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

(I don't even know where to start with the thieves...)

chuckularone
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:11 am

*Kat* wrote:I'm just wondering.... what WOULD you shoot with that?
Not what... Who!
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:23 am

birds/fowl? but, looks like a shotgun with a scope (rifled slugs?) and an AR-....probably personal protection since he can't run from trouble, and must face it head on. Probably an ex-marine.
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:25 am

I want one, To protect myself from blue hairs in SUV's at cross walks...

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:19 pm

Look close. 3 long guns.

12 gauge in rack for close in. AR 15 type in hand for mid range multiples. Scoped rifle in rack for reaching out.

Plus, the black box with rack on top may contain other "stuff". :twisted:
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

BRCDMV
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Department of Mutant Vehicles

Post by BRCDMV » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:45 am

Hi,

Chiming in late on the topic, but it's one near and dear to my heart (as both a member of the Black Rock DMV Council and a person with a disabled placard).

The DMV does license Vehicles for persons with disabilities. The general information is here:

http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... enses.html

And you can ALWAYS email us at dmv@burningman.com

We do provide licenses for disabled persons from many different countries and can usually work through any issues or concerns about placards if you contact us directly.

I would strongly suggest you consider applying for a Disability Vehicle license if you will have a vehicle you can use at the event, even if you only want to use it SOME of the time. Black Rock City is a large city and wheelchair durability aside, you may well want the ability to use something beyond the wheelchair from time to time.

Feel free to give us a holler at the DMV - DMV@burningman.com

Sincerely,

-Chef Juke for the DMV Hotties

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”