Vehicle Passes and Burning Man Traffic Issues

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
tahiti_treat
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Re: Vehicle Passes and Burning Man Traffic Issues

Post by tahiti_treat » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:48 am

I'm interested to see how this plays out. I'm not automatically opposed to the idea but I could definitely see people buying more passes than they need 'just in case'. Because of the low cost, I could also see people just not bothering to re-sell their extra vehicle pass as time grows short - when you're already paying +$1000 to head to the event and have a billion things to do and only figure out that you don't need that extra pass a few weeks in advance, that $40 may not seem like such a big deal.

The pass system won't change anything in my personal plans. 2 people + stuff in our small vehicle is pretty much the max. We could squeeze in another body, but their gear would have to travel separately.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:47 pm

trilobyte wrote: @motskyroonmatick - your 'more MOOP' argument doesn't make any sense, seeing as the trash you're hauling back out with you is stuff that came into the event with you in the same vehicles. As for having to leave your infrastructure at home because you didn't get a pass, that's either just being silly or implying you're an idiot when it comes to planning for your camp and being resourceful to get your hands on a pass... neither of which is true.
Its true that people should be able to remove their own MOOP without issue but anyone who has left the playa Tuesday or later after the event is over sees the huge amount of trash left where people failed in that regard.
7 out of 10 years I have carried other peoples MOOP off of the playa. All of the people who asked me to take some of their trash were riding in vehicles with 2+ people. It is the reason our camp is soooo communicative on being responsible for your own MOOP. I'd like to hope that everyone will get creative and not run in to MOOP transport problems at the end of the burn but my experience is that cars with high numbers of people in them often have to beg for other people to take some of their MOOP away. I believe more carpooling will increase the number and size of MOOP piles left for camp members and clean up crews to remove. It is an issue that I have seen addressed successfully but not eliminated. A change in the transport ecosystem will result in different outcomes than before and more abandoned MOOP is an outcome I think likely to happen.

It is true that I will employ almost any means necessary to get a vehicle pass and make Stag Camp 8 infrastructure happen. I'm lucky I have a camp of 100 that will have my back on a VP if I can not get one and a ticket too for that matter. None the less faced with perceived scarcity we are planning on covering our backs. I believe this is a totally natural response even if the reality turns out to be that there will be more vehicle passes sold than needed. The fact that there is an announced cap on the # of VP to be sold creates perceived scarcity and that makes people react to secure a predictable future. It would be nice if everybody only bought what they truly needed but that is not how we as a total community act.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:09 pm

Yeah, if it were up to me I wouldn't have put a cap on the number either.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:40 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote: It would be nice if everybody only bought what they truly needed but that is not how we as a total community act.
Yeah. You would have the org would have learned how the community deals with limited entry resources; the lottery.

I have hopes that this will work out and that if some huge hoarding occurs, the org drops the cap for this "experiment" and the people that bought too many vehicle passes get stuck with the extras.
In dust we trust.

Geosomin

Post by Geosomin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:21 pm

We didn't buy a vehicle pass with our tickets because we were going to go up with a group, who now may not be going/have a pass. Is there another chance to get a vehicle pass? We tried to do the right thing and not buy what we didn't need, and it's frustrating to be from Canada- if we have to go on our own we will need one...it's stressing me out. Having tickets doesn't do us any good if we can't get there or get in...I understand the point of vehicle passes but it adds a level of complexity.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:10 am

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Monkeystyle
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Post by Monkeystyle » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:44 am

FIGJAM wrote:New plan for exodus!!! 8)

http://exodusexpress.azcompuguy.com/
Fake site right? Lol

chuckularone
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:45 am

Best one I've seen all day!
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

Monkeystyle
Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Post by Monkeystyle » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:47 am

Geosomin wrote:We didn't buy a vehicle pass with our tickets because we were going to go up with a group, who now may not be going/have a pass. Is there another chance to get a vehicle pass? We tried to do the right thing and not buy what we didn't need, and it's frustrating to be from Canada- if we have to go on our own we will need one...it's stressing me out. Having tickets doesn't do us any good if we can't get there or get in...I understand the point of vehicle passes but it adds a level of complexity.
Where in canada? There will be people offering ride shares.

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:33 am

Brilliant!

"Pulling out never felt so good!"

:mrgreen:

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:11 am

@MonkeyStyle - yes, it's a fake site. One of Scotto's creations for April Fool's Day.

Urban

Post by Urban » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:12 pm

Hello,

I read this blog, searched it and I still have 2 questions.
Before I start, I have tickets and a vehicle pass. In the past 4 burns , we have arrived on Monday noon after spending the night in Reno. We live in the low desert of Southn Cal, so it is more than a day drive.
That said, we want to arrive Sunday and come in as early as possible or at least be in line in accordance with the 10 AM gate opening.
1. What time should we plan on getting into Ingress? 6 AM Sunday? 8 AM Sunday? Saturday night? And if we are unable to get into line at 6 AM Sunday, if there somewhere I can park late late Saturday or early early Sunday that is OK?
If you want to direct me to a previously written note on this, please do so. I found nothing.

2. I have no Art car, but I do have a much needed Handicapped Placard on my Bus. I don't want to drive around on the Playa. Many times, some places will let me in early, because I am slow to set camp. I am not slow. I move slow. My question 2 is: Is there a method of applying for an earlier Ingress with a handicap (California) placard?

We want to go earlier than normal beause when we enter by noon on Monday, much of the space has benn "saved" for others who will not get to Black Rock until Thursday or Friday and it is pretty hard to find a suitable space for an old Dude (me ) with a cane. So we decided this time to try early.

Trilobyte...Any way you can educate me or direct me to a link?

Thanks
Papa and the Evil F. Bunny

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:47 pm

Stay in Reno till 8AM! 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:39 pm

Early entry is not given for disability.
Plan to arrive no sooner than 10 am Sunday. If you are earlier, you will have to wait in D Lot until they Gate decides to let you out. last in first out.
Expect Sunday to be a heavy traffic day in. Other than that, it is impossible to predict what the traffic in will look like. This is the first Sunday at 10 opening, and Sunday at 6 pm and Monday at 12:01 may or may not be good models.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:57 pm

Urban wrote:1. What time should we plan on getting into Ingress? 6 AM Sunday? 8 AM Sunday? Saturday night? And if we are unable to get into line at 6 AM Sunday, if there somewhere I can park late late Saturday or early early Sunday that is OK?
Plan on two hours from Reno (though it will probably be longer) - I wouldn't leave Reno before 8am. There are going to be thousands and thousands of people wanting that 10am slot, it's going to be the busiest time at the Gate all week, the likelihood of being one of the first cars in is statistically very small - plan for safe arrival, don't worry about the time.
I do have a much needed Handicapped Placard on my Bus. I don't want to drive around on the Playa. Many times, some places will let me in early, because I am slow to set camp. I am not slow. I move slow. My question 2 is: Is there a method of applying for an earlier Ingress with a handicap (California) placard?
You need to get your placard approved for use on the playa, read this page on the Burning Man website. It will not get you early entry - the BLM is very strict on limiting the amount of people on-playa pre-Gate. The event does not officially begin until 6pm Sunday night - the 10am opening Gate is as early as it's going to get.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

Urban

Post by Urban » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:50 pm

Eric wrote:
Urban wrote:1. What time should we plan on getting into Ingress? 6 AM Sunday? 8 AM Sunday? Saturday night? And if we are unable to get into line at 6 AM Sunday, if there somewhere I can park late late Saturday or early early Sunday that is OK?
Plan on two hours from Reno (though it will probably be longer) - I wouldn't leave Reno before 8am. There are going to be thousands and thousands of people wanting that 10am slot, it's going to be the busiest time at the Gate all week, the likelihood of being one of the first cars in is statistically very small - plan for safe arrival, don't worry about the time.
I do have a much needed Handicapped Placard on my Bus. I don't want to drive around on the Playa. Many times, some places will let me in early, because I am slow to set camp. I am not slow. I move slow. My question 2 is: Is there a method of applying for an earlier Ingress with a handicap (California) placard?
Thanks Eric.

I do have a placard, but we either walk or if lucky, someone gives us a lift on an Art Car. We don't drive on the Playa. I was really asking about early entry. But thank you. I as guessing the answer for early entry is no, although I am still confused about when to actually arrive for the line at the gate that opens at 10 AM Sunday. I do not expect to be in front. I do not want to be sent to Lot "D". I just want to know when is an acceptable time to get to the line on Sunday morn. Some people said to stay in Reno on saturday night and that it is 2 hours from the Playa but Hotels rates on Saturday night as a world more expensive on Sauturday night compared to Sunday night. That is why we were a little confused about timing to get to Sunday morning. I am still trying to figure out when to actually approach the line which I know will exist.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:52 pm

10 AM is the earliest acceptable time to get to the gate.
Arrive at ten.
Get there two hours before noon.
When the big hand in on 10 and the little hand is on twelve.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:56 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Stay in Reno till 8AM! 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:03 pm

Eric wrote:Plan on two hours from Reno (though it will probably be longer) - I wouldn't leave Reno before 8am.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

Urban

Post by Urban » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:09 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:10 AM is the earliest acceptable time to get to the gate.
Arrive at ten.
Get there two hours before noon.
When the big hand in on 10 and the little hand is on twelve.
OK, Cryptofishist...I will draw a diagram..Big Hand on the 10 and the little hand on the 12..
Wait...Wait...Are you sure? First I have a digital watch. Second, I remember the olden days and I think you got that bag hand little hand thing wrong...

and staying in Reno is for you young fancy rich people. I will sleep in my bus in a Rest Area unless you want to donate a hotel to a retured Burner.

chuckularone
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:14 pm

Is D lot first in last out or last in first out? I've seen both stated with much emphasis. I want to believe it's last in first out to "punish" the earliest arrivers.
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:00 pm

Samey same!!! :lol:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Urban

Post by Urban » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:14 pm

chuckularone wrote:Is D lot first in last out or last in first out? I've seen both stated with much emphasis. I want to believe it's last in first out to "punish" the earliest arrivers.
:coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :idea: Maybe he meant FIFO or LIFO...First in Last Out or Last in First Out!...As long as it is not FINO (First in, Never Out) or LILO (Last in, Last Out) or wait overnight in Reno t'll 8 AM when the big hand is on the 10 and the little hand is on the 12...
:wink:

Fan C
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Mighty Misfits

Post by Fan C » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:55 pm

chuckularone wrote:...I want to believe it's last in first out to "punish" the earliest arrivers.
That was always my understanding. If you you show up stupid early you get a stupid wait, If you just timed it bad not as much of a wait. Or some approximate logic.

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:45 pm

If you are going to sleep in your bus, there's a rest stop near the Wadsworth exit on I-80. Not sure if there is one on both sides of the freeway though. You could also camp at Pyramid Lake (need a pass from the Rez) or there is a nice little campground at the Wadsworth gas station/store. I stayed there a couple of times and it was $26 with full hookups. All of these options put you even closer to the playa than Reno.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

Zrob
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Pump's Raiders

Post by Zrob » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:38 pm

Urban wrote: I as guessing the answer for early entry is no, although I am still confused about when to actually arrive for the line at the gate that opens at 10 AM Sunday. I do not expect to be in front. I do not want to be sent to Lot "D". I just want to know when is an acceptable time to get to the line on Sunday morn.
Urban, in case you're like me and the prior answers haven't quit explained what you're looking for.

There is no "line for the gate" prior to 10:00 AM 08.24.14. It's not like a blockbuster movie on opening day where people line up around the block waiting for the doors to open.
If you show up before the official opening of the gate (10:00 AM), you get sent to D lot. That means if you show up at 9:59 AM you go to D lot. If they did it any other way then people would start showing up hours or days early and mucking up traffic before it's officially time to muck up traffic.
After 10:00 AM and people who showed up on time and not before start getting processed through the gate then the line forms as traffic demands.

So, you're being told to stay in Reno until 8 AM or some other destination until (10:00 AM - length of time to get to the playa from said destination) so that you'll only have 5 minutes to 2 hours depending on your luck to wait, rather than up to possibly 12 hours to wait.
I hope this helps your understanding.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”