Comfortable Bicycle Seat... ?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Comfortable Bicycle Seat... ?

Post by Meat Hunter » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:36 am

With my twin titanium hips, my stock Schwinn bicycle seat is a bit problematic.

I have searched locally for a comfortable bicycle seat and the three bike shops in my area cater to the bicycle racing folks and do not have much information regarding cruising bikes.

What "brand specific" opinions do you guys have regarding a comfortable a cruiser bicycle seat?
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Re: Comfortable Bicycle Seat... ?

Post by trilobyte » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:47 am

I don't know that there is anything out there that's going to be really that comfortable. One of the cleverest solutions I've seen was a campmate who'd rigged a pillow to the top of her bike seat by covering it with fabric and using rope and zip ties (I think).

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:25 am

big wide saddle type seats are good.........but you have to ride more upright.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:29 am

What about something like this? It's called a moon seat. Looks pretty comfy....

Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:52 am

TT120 wrote:What about something like this? It's called a moon seat. Looks pretty comfy....

Good Will Hunting, You may find seat like that on exercisers.. We have a end of the line GoodWill where they sell stuff by the pound..Old bikes and exercise machines sell for as little as $15.. I took the whole machine for the seat.. Saved some of the metal for future projects.. The rest go in the scrape metal haul..See Elliots bike repair thread.. There is pic of a seat without the horn.. I have one on my Zappy.. Saw them at Wally World..

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:45 pm

Thank y'all for the input.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Elorrum » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:14 pm

I have one like this, and it's very forgiving. But if you don't do a little bit of breaking in on your own "seat," any bike seat where you sit astride it will likely cause issues. I'm going to be sure to do some breaking in this year, or just try to ride more in my life for fun, like I have in years past. Some people slice open a stuffed animal and tape it to the bike seat, that works too.
”On second thought, Let’s not go to Camelot. It’s a silly place.”
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches. - Robert Frost

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:49 pm

Can't you just bolt your hips into the frame?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:48 am

Hey! I'm the cyborg on this board!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

HappySarah
Burning Since: 2013

Post by HappySarah » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:59 pm

I bought this seat for my everyday bike and it's extremely comfortable

I didn't have it with me last year in the Playa, but I am so taking it this year!

Ashtar
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: MacGyvers' Union

Post by Ashtar » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:37 pm

I have a bike seat like HappySarah's and though I don't have titanium hips, I do have a big fat ass, and I find it super comfortable.

I've also heard of people using tractor or lawn mower seats with back support, if that would be better for your situation, like these: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200403214 I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure what modifications you'd have to do to bolt it to a bike seat post, but I'm sure it's doable.
Image ...accept the fact that this city is headed for a disaster of Biblical proportions. -- Dr Peter Venkman, Ghostbusters

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:43 am

Anyone with experience with a BMX "loaf" seat, supported at the back with sissy-bars?
bmx loaf seat, by seat post & sissy bar.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:18 pm

"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:20 pm

BBadger wrote:Image
Nice seat you have there B boy..

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:15 pm

After going through four different and supposedly "comfortable" saddles configurations on my Schwinn tricycle, I think that I might have actually found a seat that is (for me) the most comfortable -- So far.

Being rectangular in shape, with two convex spaces for pelvis bones and without having the normal appearance of a "T", it does look a bit "unorthodox. But, after riding it for 10 miles around the farm today, I am of the opinion that I just might have found a Playa-tolerable seat for my bony bottom.

It does not have the two traditional under-the-saddle springs. I am not sure of how much support these two coiled springs provided any way.

Using the standard seat riser and the seat hardware, it attached quickly. However, I did have to make a few minor adjustments for Height, Fore & Aft, Pitch and Yaw.

Schwinn defines the seat as being: "No-Pressure...Ergonomic Design...Ultra Comfort...Comfortable Ride...Wide Seat" I will just have to wait and see......

Vidi ego exars.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:34 pm

And then after all that effort and tweaking someone steals your seat. Just the seat.

My friends and I attended one time and one of the bikes we brought didn't have a seat because we couldn't find one as we were traveling there. Despite that, my friend used it and didn't complain at all. People would also see it and invite him in for a beer. Remarkably, someone even tried to steal that bike, but we caught that asshole before he could make his get-away.

Good times!

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:38 pm

Meat Hunter wrote:After going through four different and supposedly "comfortable" saddles configurations on my Schwinn tricycle, I think that I might have actually found a seat that is (for me) the most comfortable -- So far.

Being rectangular in shape, with two convex spaces for pelvis bones and without having the normal appearance of a "T", it does look a bit "unorthodox. But, after riding it for 10 miles around the farm today, I am of the opinion that I just might have found a Playa-tolerable seat for my bony bottom.

It does not have the two traditional under-the-saddle springs. I am not sure of how much support these two coiled springs provided any way.

Using the standard seat riser and the seat hardware, it attached quickly. However, I did have to make a few minor adjustments for Height, Fore & Aft, Pitch and Yaw.

Schwinn defines the seat as being: "No-Pressure...Ergonomic Design...Ultra Comfort...Comfortable Ride...Wide Seat" I will just have to wait and see......
This one?

I have found this type poorly suited for bicycles, but it just might work OK on a trike, where direction and balance are not so critical.

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:30 am

Elliot,

Your photo is similar, but not quite the same.

http://www.afterschool.com/p/schwinn-no ... 1602914753

After riding on it for one day, it appears to work for me on my tricycle.

Vidi ego exars.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:21 am

Wallyworld south Salem had all bike seat marked down yesterday..

Seems they are dropping Bell and going all Schwinn.. Or not..

Bell bike shit is mostly At Big K..

BigInSeattle

Post by BigInSeattle » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:16 pm

That Schwinn no-pressure seat is the real deal. I just bought 2 of them a couple of weeks ago. They are especially great for those of us with a little extra in the rear

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:56 pm

You have more than a little if you're using two seats!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:02 pm

In my opinion, that Schwinn no-pressure seat might be the real deal.

They appear to be especially great for those of us with little or NO extra in the rear.

I have two more seats on order. One of them is 14" wide the other has two different types of gel and one seat that is supposed to have a layer of whipped gel on top and a layer of denser gel below. The one with the two layers of gel also has an optional gel cover for the seat.

Unfortunately, the only to bike shops within 80 miles of me only cater to the needs of the racing crowds, know nothing about cruising and stock no cruising parts.

By this time, I will have five types/styles of seats to choose from.

Vidi ego exars.

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:39 am

Meat Hunter wrote: the other has two different types of gel and one seat that is supposed to have a layer of whipped gel on top and a layer of denser gel below. The one with the two layers of gel also has an optional gel cover...
Sounds almost like a parfait. Everyone likes parfaits.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:27 am

Good Will Hunting yesterday.. Bagged four(more) soft bears..

The Bear Bottom (bike) Seat Co. Will be located at Caravansary unjonharley At G st. X 5:00..

Don't be a sore ass..

Sit on a bear..

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:11 pm

Elliot wrote:This one?

I have found this type poorly suited for bicycles, but it just might work OK on a trike, where direction and balance are not so critical.
I haven't used one like this, or a no-nose, but was reading some reviews. One fellow said that if you had a standard bike, with the pedals nearly straight below the seat, that the back of your thighs might get sore, since your legs do go nearly straight down as you pedal, which is why the astride saddle is the standard. A bike, or trike where the pedals were forward of the seat post, or one where the riding position was lot more upright, (consider that when leaning forward you might be holding your weight on to the seat with your arms as you turn?) might be better suited for this kind of seat. He also said that he adjusted and adjusted and did finally find a way to work it, tilting it forward, that he liked it, but eventually gave it up and got one of the seats that has two independent pads. I think also that this reviewer rode a lot of miles, so the discomfort he found with it might be outside the range of a casual playa pedaler.

chuckularone
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:57 pm

unjonharley wrote:Good Will Hunting yesterday.. Bagged four(more) soft bears..

The Bear Bottom (bike) Seat Co. Will be located at Caravansary unjonharley At G st. X 5:00..

Don't be a sore ass..

Sit on a bear..
Hmmm... How about,"Bear your ass."
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:00 pm

chuckularone wrote:
unjonharley wrote:Good Will Hunting yesterday.. Bagged four(more) soft bears..

Don't be a sore ass..

Sit on a bear..
Hmmm... How about,"Bear your ass."
That may leave a racing strip..

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”