Getting to BRC

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
CocoKiora
Burning Since: 2014

Getting to BRC

Post by CocoKiora » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:17 pm

Hi,

I can't find resources anywhere, so I'm wondering what's the best way to travel to BRC when you're going alone, coming from another country, and can't drive?!

Thanks!!! :D

Canoe

Re: Getting to BRC

Post by Canoe » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:23 pm

(fish in a barrel)

try this link http://www.burningman.com/preparation/t ... press.html
read it
register for Jack Rabbit Speaks
solutions provided

use the link in my signature
go read the Survival Guide, and the other preparation materials, where you would have found the above link
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:44 pm

p.s.
by bus from San Fran is longer, and bus costs more (~$95 vs ~$60), but I believe you can save a lot by not taking a plane all the way to Reno. Reno airport is very busy with Burners flying in (apparently as busy as Xmas) and airfare is not discounted due to this demand.

Alternate is the ride share board, or the ride share locations in Reno, one of which is at the airport.

Possibly train to Reno (costs?), then Burner Express in Reno to BRC.

p.s.s. (do NOT hitchhike. Period.)
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

CocoKiora

Post by CocoKiora » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi, thanks so much for helping me out!
Now I have a clearer plan in mind.

What is the ride share board? Is it like an area where people offer ride sharing at Reno?

Is it possible that I just rock up at the airport with no pre-bought bus ticket, and just wing it to see if people are offering rides?

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:27 pm

Well, ...
if you follow that link, and read...

Two things: ride share board, ride share locations in Reno.

You'll discover that the ride share board is where people per-arrange rides to and/or from the playa, typically from places around the States. So from New York or from the Reno airport, or, well, anywhere. You have to make your own judgement as to the suitability of such arrangements. Contributing to gas costs is common, etc.. You can post what you're looking for, or look at posts of what rides are offered. You might find one from San Fran, or even L.A., all the way to the playa. If it doesn't work out, you could end up stranded somewhere along the way.

There are ride share locations in Reno, where people with space in their vehicle stop by to offer rides to the playa. Winging it as you said. Sometimes for free, but it is courteous to offer to contribute towards gas. Protocol is for those offering rides to try to take those who have been waiting the longest, but again, you make your own judgement on each side as to suitability/safety. Make sure they're going to stop for groceries, water or other supplies if you need to acquire such before going to the playa. Or taxi from airport, train or bus depot to Keystone rideshare for the grocery store there, and then rideshare to the playa. The airport has a Playa info booth (name?) where they can advise you on where/how to get supplies and in finding a rideshare ride to the Playa. Rideshare locations can vary. Check the links.

But if you're taking the Burner Express, from San Fran or Reno, it can stop for needed supplies (make sure your bus is scheduled for such), and you're among many others in the same boat, so instant party, co-conspirators, etc..

And the last ditch, once in Reno, is go to a gas station where Burners will be filling up with gas, and have a cardboard sign saying "Going Home". They'll know where you're going...

But NOT hitch hiking at the side of the road...

Follow that link and read...
... lots.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:42 pm

With anyone taking anyone to the playa, they need to know you have a ticket, so they're not on the hook when you get rejected at the Gate and they have to drive you all the way back to Reno.
You'll need to show a valid ticket or Will Call ticket pickup documentation.
They also need to have such, and a Vehicle Pass, or you end up sent away with them when they're rejected.

Appropriate place & safety in showing your ticket/documentation.

It's Burning Man, but usual rules apply.

And to be clear, I'm just another Burner on eplaya. No official connection at all.
You need to check the links so you can check the info I provided for accuracy, and again closer to the event date, to ensure that the way things used to work is the way they'll work this year.

Joeln
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Getting to BRC by Canoe
Subject line seen on Eplaya. :lol:
Collapse first and avoid the rush

delle

Post by delle » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:44 am

Joeln wrote:
Re: Getting to BRC by Canoe
Subject line seen on Eplaya. :lol:
:lol: As if Canoe would ever start such a thread. :roll:
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:20 pm

cute
I'll have to grab a screen shot of that.

PL_FL
Burning Since: 2013

Post by PL_FL » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:07 am

Regarding the burner express...
Does anyone know for sure if they require some kind of ticket-confirmation/number when you "book" the seat? I know they need it when you board, of course. The problem is, if you're waiting for STEP or some other program, you'll be S.O.L. when the express starts selling seats in say mid-March or so, 'before' any official notification of STEP/OMG/low-income/etc.
"Nothing Is Written"
(Lawrence of Arabia: after he returns from going back into the Nefud Desert to rescue Gasim)

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:24 am

Ticket info is not required when booking, but is required when boarding.

PL_FL

Post by PL_FL » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:06 am

Thanks trilobyte,
But there is this strangely disjointed Q&A on the burner-express FAQ page on burningman site, not sure what to make of it, since the answer doesn't really match the question very well..

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/t ... press.html

Q. When I make a reservation, do I get a ticket? How do I prove I have a reservation?
A. To make a reservation, you must have a valid Burning Man ticket number. When you purchase a ticket, you will receive a confirmation that you will need to bring with you to the bus.
"Nothing Is Written"
(Lawrence of Arabia: after he returns from going back into the Nefud Desert to rescue Gasim)

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:44 am

That's the out of date 2013 info displayed until the details for 2014 are available.
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/travel_info/burner_express.html wrote:We are currently working on the final details for 2014 Burner Express service, and they will be posted here and in the Jackrabbit Speaks in early February, but in the meantime, you can read the 2013 information below and get the gist of how the service works.
Go register for Jackrabbit Speaks. It will be announced.

PL_FL

Post by PL_FL » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:25 am

Thanks Canoe,
I've been subscribed to JRS for over a year, and I totally get that it's last year's info but "will be posted in early Feb" doesn't help much, since it's like a month past that :) The express site does say 'check in mid-march' which is coming up, but I was hoping to get the benefit of experience from anyone who did it last year... to know if they actually do require proof at booking.

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it!
cheers,
"Nothing Is Written"

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”