Burner Express day question

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
mumblemouth
Burning Since: 2014

Burner Express day question

Post by mumblemouth » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:52 pm

Checked out burner express. they are offering rides starting on sat 23rd. if the gates dont open till monday at 5 or 6 and you cant get there early. where are these people going to stage for 2 days?

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Burner Express day question

Post by Eric » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:59 pm

Gates open Sunday, not Monday (last year at 6pm, it hasn't been announced for this year). There are people who get "weekend-only" Early Arrival passes to help with last minute set-up of their placed camps (if you don't know what that is, you don't have one), the Saturday bus is to get those people to the playa. If you don't have an EA, you cannot buy the Sat ticket (it asks if you have one when you go to purchase).

The Sunday Burner Express is available to anyone, and will get you on-playa on Sunday.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

mumblemouth
Burning Since: 2014

Post by mumblemouth » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:06 pm

k. thanks. i assumed monday cause the event says aug 25 which is a monday

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:13 pm

It does say Monday the 25th on the main page! :shock:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Fly Ranch Project

Post by Just_Joe » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:03 pm

Last year.......
Gates opened Sunday at Six. Event started Monday at 12:01.
Probably worded that way for the permit.
As Trilo indicated, Sat bus travelers will need to provide EA pass before boarding the buses. Sunday and later just need a ticket (number?).

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:48 pm

FIGJAM wrote:It does say Monday the 25th on the main page! :shock:
The event "Officially" starts at 12am the 25th (from the permit, I believe) - the earlier Gate opening on Sunday night is something the BLM has allowed the last few years to try to deal with traffic, but I don't believe it's actually in the permit as the opening time.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:59 pm

I'm not confused, but you know how people are. :roll:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:25 am

I think the BE is a great idea.

That being said, I wondered how those riders deal with their trash? :?

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

delle

Post by delle » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:25 am

FIGJAM wrote:I think the BE is a great idea.

That being said, I wondered how those riders deal with their trash? :?
Do you? Do you really, Figjam??
(says the BE girl whose bag of garbage you so graciously hauled out for us last year) :oops:

Tho, honestly, that was due to a glitch rather than bad planning. Glitches can happen to anyone.
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:29 am

I understand that you ran out of room, and it was my pleasure to help out, but what about the rest of the expressers.

It looks like the idea is going to be a big success and that means a lot of trash. :?

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

delle

Post by delle » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:48 am

The more I think of it, the more important your question is becoming.

We had a small group, and other vehicles in the group. What do those BEers who really fly solo do?

I asked their staff alot of questions last year. That wasn't one of them. I'd be interested in hearing their answer, actually.
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:45 am

They can't use the second bus that brought in luggage to bring out trash?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

mrchiff
Burning Since: 1999

Post by mrchiff » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:24 pm

So who's bought a ticket?

http://burnerexpress.com/faq
Q. What about trash?
A. Once you purchase a Burner Express ticket, you will receive information about the trash and recycling program.

Riv
Burning Since: 2013

Post by Riv » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:36 pm

I don't know what they're doing this year, but last year, they had us put our bags of trash in a pile at the bus depot, saying they'd truck it away later. I don't remember if there was a fee associated with it or not. Felt kind of weird to just abandon it, but I didn't hear any complaints about the bus company MOOPing... They also had a truck (not a second bus) for large luggage.

Popeye
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:30 pm

Last year and I assume this year the trash went on the bus. After all you are taking less out than you brought in- you ate and drank the food and water.
There was an option to have the express guys take the trash at $5.00/bag. Worth it.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

PL_FL

Post by PL_FL » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:11 am

I’m trying to sort out conflicting/confusing info about the Burner Express…
This isn’t my first visit to BRC. I am driving in with someone but my 3 friends are taking the express in, so I asked lots of questions. The people who answer via email are great, but the site/FAQ/info is not always clear. For instance; food and water. They say to put your luggage on a separate bus at Reno. Fine. Then you get on another bus and stop to get food and water. Fine. Now what? Where do I put all that food and water? When I asked, they said that everything must fit into those 2 bags (or whatever bag-allowance you purchased)… you know, those bags I already loaded onto a separate bus, back in Reno? So, that means I have to carry / check an empty bag on the plane? Fine. Does the bus follow us, then unload my (empty) luggage at savemart so I can load it with 100 pounds of food/water? I don't know but fine. Perhaps this would be something they’d want to tell us in the information/FAQ? The process has been a bit like the 60’s game show “what’s my line?” You get good info, if you ask the right question.
"Nothing Is Written"
(Lawrence of Arabia: after he returns from going back into the Nefud Desert to rescue Gasim)

fatchicken
Burning Since: 2011

Post by fatchicken » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:10 am

PL_FL wrote:I’m trying to sort out conflicting/confusing info about the Burner Express…
This isn’t my first visit to BRC. I am driving in with someone but my 3 friends are taking the express in, so I asked lots of questions. The people who answer via email are great, but the site/FAQ/info is not always clear. For instance; food and water. They say to put your luggage on a separate bus at Reno. Fine. Then you get on another bus and stop to get food and water. Fine. Now what? Where do I put all that food and water? When I asked, they said that everything must fit into those 2 bags (or whatever bag-allowance you purchased)… you know, those bags I already loaded onto a separate bus, back in Reno? So, that means I have to carry / check an empty bag on the plane? Fine. Does the bus follow us, then unload my (empty) luggage at savemart so I can load it with 100 pounds of food/water? I don't know but fine. Perhaps this would be something they’d want to tell us in the information/FAQ? The process has been a bit like the 60’s game show “what’s my line?” You get good info, if you ask the right question.
I bought the bigger luggage combo (4).
I put 1 cargo bag in the truck at the airport (contains stuff I brought from New York: tent, air mattress, clothes....)
I bring 2 empty Rothco jumbo cargo bags as carry-on on the bus heading to savemart (to fill them with 100+) pounds of water + canned food. I put these two on the truck.
Plus 1 cooler I will buy at savemart and fill with ice and food before loading it on the truck.

So a total of 4 big items.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:12 am

If you've got questions or issues with the information on the Burner Express site, go here.

PL_FL

Post by PL_FL » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:21 am

Thanks fatchicken, yes, I think my friends are trying to upgrade to the 4-bags now... Would have been nice to have those logistics as part of the info up front. The 4-bag option would have been a no-brainer.

And yes trilobite, they've been very helpful with questions.

thanks,
"Nothing Is Written"
(Lawrence of Arabia: after he returns from going back into the Nefud Desert to rescue Gasim)

Solito

Post by Solito » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Eric wrote:Gates open Sunday, not Monday (last year at 6pm, it hasn't been announced for this year). There are people who get "weekend-only" Early Arrival passes to help with last minute set-up of their placed camps (if you don't know what that is, you don't have one), the Saturday bus is to get those people to the playa. If you don't have an EA, you cannot buy the Sat ticket (it asks if you have one when you go to purchase).

The Sunday Burner Express is available to anyone, and will get you on-playa on Sunday.
I hate to flog a dead horse, but Feenix and I bought our Saturday BXB rides back in May 2014, before their site mentioned anything about EA passes being required for Saturday riders. This year we do not have EA. We then booked our flights from the midwest to land in Reno Sat morning and have it all work like clockwork. So now - EA is explicitly required on their website for Saturday riders and last night we sent questions to BXB about whether we can exchange the ticket for Sunday and get stuck with a taxi and hotel cost we did not anticipate (minor in the scheme of things), or simply ride Saturday. Will let ya'll know the outcome.

I've flown to Reno solo and rented a car once, drove cross-country with a trailered art piece using EA once, flown in as a couple to Reno and rented a car once, and now this year will be the easiest, least impact and lowest cost of all for my fourth Burn flying in as a couple and using BXB. I love the BXB concept, and realize that they are scaling their service up this year and being as compliant of Gate procedures as possible with the revising of their rules. Hats off to that crew. Stay Dusty Friends!
[color=orange]-Solito[/color]

Me encontrare abajo del sol, y solito pues. Hasta cuando me llego a casa - solito no mas, y sin querer.

NikkiG
Camp Name: Ritual of Victory

Post by NikkiG » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Trash
I was sent a letter stating that we will be given 2 seven gallon trash bags marked for the Burner Express. 1 is for recyclables, and 1 is for trash. Only the designated trashbags will be honored. It's up to us to recycle the aluminum cans at Center Camp. Nothing was said about returning our bikes to Savemart. If you have issues with returning the bikes, I suggest you contact Kiwanis, and ask them about their drop off points. I'm very sure you will be happy with their response :wink:

If you want to cut down on trash, I suggest that you take off most of the packaging on your food items. Outer boxes, tags, labels, plastic wrap, twisty ties ect before you bring it on the bus. Those items alone will fill up your trash bag.

Loading of food and water
If you decide to take the bus to Savemart, the luggage trailer will make a stop there too. I suggest that you buy water by the box. Boxes are easier to load and tape together, so they can be considered 1 large Item instead of two... hint hint (write your name on the boxes). You can buy a 5 gallon jug, but each will be considered a large item.

Your food could be packed in your empty backpack. If your small back pack is a soft cooler, that would be even better... hint hint. The backpack is considered a carryon. All packages include one carryon item that should fit between your legs.

Try to bring non perishable items like teabags, coffee with cream already added, breakfast tarts, trail mix, crackers, soup, oatmeal packets, energy bars or granola bars, applesauce, PB&J in one jar, dehydrated fruit and soups, premade chicken or tuna salad in a can, and energy drink powder. I camped without a cooler and a stove last year and I managed quite well. The water in your tent will be almost boiling hot by 5pm and chilly cold in the morning. Many people warm up their canned goods in their car, your tent wouldn't be much different.

Transportation of your stuff on the Playa
The water will be hard to transport on your own, so bring a handtruck that folds into your large suit case. You will need plenty of bungee cords to tie down your water boxes and such. My handtruck can support 150 lbs, and its very compact. I plan on using the handtruck to also haul ice and trash during and after the event.

My grandfather told me to work smarter, not harder. I hope these tips will help you out. I will be taking the bus too. This is my second year using them and hopefully it wont be my last.
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Solito

Post by Solito » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:59 am

I hate to flog a dead horse, but Feenix and I bought our Saturday BXB rides back in May 2014, before their site mentioned anything about EA passes being required for Saturday riders. This year we do not have EA. We then booked our flights from the midwest to land in Reno Sat morning and have it all work like clockwork. So now - EA is explicitly required on their website for Saturday riders and last night we sent questions to BXB about whether we can exchange the ticket for Sunday and get stuck with a taxi and hotel cost we did not anticipate (minor in the scheme of things), or simply ride Saturday. Will let ya'll know the outcome.

I've flown to Reno solo and rented a car once, drove cross-country with a trailered art piece using EA once, flown in as a couple to Reno and rented a car once, and now this year will be the easiest, least impact and lowest cost of all for my fourth Burn flying in as a couple and using BXB. I love the BXB concept, and realize that they are scaling their service up this year and being as compliant of Gate procedures as possible with the revising of their rules. Hats off to that crew. Stay Dusty Friends!
I received an email 2 days after asking my question above, the result was as expected; Feenix and I were advised to purchase tickets for Sunday, and to refund the tickets for Saturday - which BXB will do for valid reasons like this. They reinforced the concept that nobody without an EA will be able to board the Saturday buses. I can only hope the internationals and domestic fly-ins know to check the BXB site and not assume they are safe to board.

We now have a leisurely Saturday in Reno for prep and food/water purchase. Our tickets for Sunday got cheaper because we don't need the shopping stop.

CHEERS! See ya'll in the dust!
[color=orange]-Solito[/color]

Me encontrare abajo del sol, y solito pues. Hasta cuando me llego a casa - solito no mas, y sin querer.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”