Best Time to Arrive

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
chuckularone
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Re: Best Time to Arrive

Post by chuckularone » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:20 pm

Looks pretty consistent up until the temple burn ends. Good thing I'm planning on leaving when the light the temple!
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

Geekette70
Camp Name: Grogg Trolls

Post by Geekette70 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:34 am

We're planning on arriving as close to dawn on Monday as possible. Having set up camp at high noon in Texas, the spousal unit and I can attest to the added stresses of heat and exhaustion when trying to accomplish anything as a team. I'd rather set up early, get a nap in and then go exploring than make myself crazy just to get an early start and have to get over being grumpy and irritated right from the beginning.

Vladar

Post by Vladar » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:59 am

Wanted to check if anyone has stayed in the city of Lovelock. Anything we should know?
We are thinking of stopping there the night before we head to the gate to get some sleep (coming from MN)

missmelee
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Back Burner

Post by missmelee » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:07 am

Vladar wrote:Wanted to check if anyone has stayed in the city of Lovelock. Anything we should know?
We are thinking of stopping there the night before we head to the gate to get some sleep (coming from MN)
We've stayed in Lovelock and are planning on staying there again. In 2012 we stayed at the Cadillac Inn but this year we're looking at the Lovelock Inn. The Cadillac Inn is old, cute, and clean. Nothing fancy or modern there but it's an inexpensive spot to get some sleep before making the last few hour trek to BRC.

Gattinaro
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Devil's Playground

Post by Gattinaro » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:24 pm

If I have an early Theme camp pass and plan on arriving late Saturday, will I get caught in the massive line for the new Sunday entrance?

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:27 pm

There should be no one in line for the Sunday entry on Saturday. They will get turned away.

That said, I've hit some good sized waits on Saturday before, I would still be prepared.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:45 pm

Gattinaro wrote:If I have an early Theme camp pass and plan on arriving late Saturday, will I get caught in the massive line for the new Sunday entrance?
You'll get caught in a massive line of all the late-arriving EA holders. We usually arrive early on Sat, last year we had some issues that delayed our leaving and we didn't get to the Gate until around 11PM Sat night, there was a decent size line to get in. I think it took us 2 hours - and EAs were still valid for Sunday arrivals then. Just be prepared for a wait.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

Gattinaro

Post by Gattinaro » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:11 pm

Thanks for info. Don't mind waiting with other EA. Just wonder how they weed through those that aren't.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:09 pm

Gattinaro wrote:Thanks for info. Don't mind waiting with other EA. Just wonder how they weed through those that aren't.
If you get to the Gate & don't have an EA, they move you into D Lot or send you back to Reno (probably send you away).
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

Gattinaro

Post by Gattinaro » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:01 pm

Hope they would send you back. But those of us that are EA still have to wait for those to be turned away on a one lane highway. Guess there is no getting around it.

Vladar

Post by Vladar » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:11 pm

I booked a room at the Lovelock Inn on Saturday Night. We see ourselves getting in there around 10PM maybe.
Let me know if any of you are getting a room there.

mom2cats
Burning Since: 1997

Post by mom2cats » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:26 am

We're two old geezers (in our 60's) from Southwest Florida pulling a 21 foot trailer. We haven't been to the Playa for 10 years so we're making a big trip out this year. 3000 miles one way- so we're planning on camping at an RV park in Fallon for Friday and Saturday night before heading 'home' to BRC. Now that we know that we'd be diverted to D lot if we get out there too early, we're adjusting our entry time. We'll be re-provisioning in Fallon on Saturday so we'll be relaxed after five days on the road and ready to hit the Playa.

Really thankful for this thread or we'd be driving out there in the dark, waiting for much longer than we needed to. I'm getting way too excited!
1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 (then the terrible 10 year absence- I was NOT in prison), 2014, 2015

jasonk
Camp Name: Barbie Death Village

Post by jasonk » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:05 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Here's an excellent video of opening last year and the holding area for the people that were just to damn early!!! 8)
I tried to watch the video, but it wants a password :(

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”