RV Key Query

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
helion83
Burning Since: 2014

RV Key Query

Post by helion83 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:30 pm

So this is our first burn (feeling like a noob littering these forums with questions...) and the 4 of us have rented a RV. We've read the preparation guide in regards to spare keys however was wondering how easy is it to get keys cut for a rental RV and is this normally the "done" thing when travelling?

Thanks!
---
Damnit Janet!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: RV Key Query

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:34 pm

Without knowing what RV it is, that's impossible to answer… however, in general, most RV "house" doors have a simple cheap key. As long as the rental company hasn't stamped it "Do Not Duplicate", a door key should be easy.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

helion83

Post by helion83 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:37 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Without knowing what RV it is, that's impossible to answer… however, in general, most RV "house" doors have a simple cheap key. As long as the rental company hasn't stamped it "Do Not Duplicate", a door key should be easy.
Thanks, I'll check what make tomorrow and check further. Didn't think it would depend on the make...
---
Damnit Janet!

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:41 pm

Definitely get multiple keys, either from the rental company or have extra keys cut at a hardware store. 1 key + 4 people + burning man = Problema. The 4 of you *will* get separated at some point. I'm kind of paranoid but I always lock up the trailer when leaving camp. Too much good stuff in there.

Alternately, you 4 could agree on a secure hiding spot in camp to keep the single key, but all 4 of you have to be religious about putting it back in this spot every single time, which might be a recipe for failure.

I keep the key on a caribiner and chained to my belt loop at all times, even when hammered I make myself remember to do this. Have stumbled home multiple times dangling the key by the caribiner, it falls out of my pocket when biking but the chain saves the day.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:46 pm

You should be able find a ACE, Lowes or Home Depot hardware store in most citys in the west..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:52 pm

Most RVs use common parts from RV suppliers. They use common tail light assemblies, roof hatches, appliances, windows, pretty much everything - including the door handle/lock. All the RV manufacturers do is build the body and add the standard common parts.
So, regardless of make, the answer is you can probably easily get a door key duplicate if it's not stamped, but I think your best bet and only way to know ahead of time is to call the rental company and ask them about a spare key.

By the way, good planning! I carry several keys for mine and I even give some to a few friends so I damn near cannot possibly lose all of them. Locking the door whenever you leave an RV is a good idea, but not because of potential thieves. It's your friends who often do the most harm while trying to be nice. They will turn on the water in the sink full blast and leave it on while they wash your dishes for you, running out all your freshwater. Or take a shower the same way, not because they mean any harm, but because they don't understand the limited water supply, or how limited it is. Or do any number of bad things simply because they aren't familiar with RVs. So do yourself a favor, protect yourself from friends trying to be nice, lock that thing up!

Yes I've had all that shit happen… now I even have my water supply divided into several smaller tanks so nothing can destroy all of it at once. Multiple watertight compartments - that's what made the Titanic unsinkable! Oh…. shit.

Uh, by the way, I did kinda contradict myself but the friends I give keys to know what not to do!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

helion83

Post by helion83 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:01 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Most RVs use common parts from RV suppliers. They use common tail light assemblies, roof hatches, appliances, windows, pretty much everything - including the door handle/lock. All the RV manufacturers do is build the body and add the standard common parts.
So, regardless of make, the answer is you can probably easily get a door key duplicate if it's not stamped, but I think your best bet and only way to know ahead of time is to call the rental company and ask them about a spare key.

By the way, good planning! I carry several keys for mine and I even give some to a few friends so I damn near cannot possibly lose all of them. Locking the door whenever you leave an RV is a good idea, but not because of potential thieves. It's your friends who often do the most harm while trying to be nice. They will turn on the water in the sink full blast and leave it on while they wash your dishes for you, running out all your freshwater. Or take a shower the same way, not because they mean any harm, but because they don't understand the limited water supply, or how limited it is. Or do any number of bad things simply because they aren't familiar with RVs. So do yourself a favor, protect yourself from friends trying to be nice, lock that thing up!

Uh, by the way, I did kinda contradict myself but the friends I give keys to know what not to do!
It's just the four of us and hopefully we're going to be fairly water-strict. Have read enough stories about how washing the dishes completely fills up the gray water storage :shock: so am trying to be proactive in finding out information.

Thanks for the advise, it really does seem like a good idea to have several keys out on the Playa and also thanks asr9754 for the caribiner idea. It sounds like a good one to have it clipped to my water bag or such so it doesn't get lost. We're all fairly independent people so we *will* separate at some point so glad to hear it's easy to get keys cut!
---
Damnit Janet!

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:17 pm

Last year there was a locksmith on the playa with his work truck.. People that needed him would go the Playa Info.. They would contact him..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

a figment

Post by a figment » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:46 pm

do not attach your key to anything that can be easily set down (ie water bag) Jella did that one year and lost her key and whip. still misses the whip.

CaffeineGirl
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: EspressoCamp/Black Rock Power Coop

Post by CaffeineGirl » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:56 pm

The place we went RVs from has no problem with us making keys, but they do not supply them. We just stop by the local ACE and get a couple of spare door keys made. Carry them around on good quality lanyards (ones with split rings, not the little hooks that like to separate) hooked to a belt loop. Works fine, minimal fuss. Do not try sharing or hiding keys, for all the reasons listed above.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”