Do not use US 395---Dangerous!

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
jneilvindy
Burning Since: 2014

Re: Do not use US 395---Dangerous!

Post by jneilvindy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:22 am

Ummm do they perform a pat down/bag search on your person if you're pulled over and dog gets the find something boy tell on your vehicle?

Do people empty their pockets and purses get searched that you're holding?

Doctor VonBacon
Burning Since: 2013

Post by Doctor VonBacon » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

I wonder if this could be added to the Survival Guide as required viewing.

It's humorous, but there is actually some truthful/useful info in there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR465HoCWFQ
I like eggs.

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:42 pm

I've used the day minder pill thingies, but one could just fill it once you get to the playa with all of your meds in the original containers. I have traveled extensively with Xanax, so it's always in the prescription bottle.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:06 pm

Doctor VonBacon wrote:I wonder if this could be added to the Survival Guide as required viewing.
Whatever's on the link, let's not get all crazy with what the event organizers should be "requiring" from participants. I'm sure they do a hell of a lot of editing to get it down to as few pages as it is, and if you've been paying attention, you'll see that many people don't even read that much. You can certainly recommend it as much as you want to anyone who will stand still, but I've come to be suspicious of people trying to get them to something else in addition.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:32 pm

Ano wrote:That's not "doing their jobs," that's straight up profiling people and trying to intimidate/waiting for any single thing to go wrong to pull you over and start throwing "probable cause" around to get a search.
Sounds like "bullying". I get the same thing from Storey county sheriffs when I go through Virginia City on my way to work and that's driving as a commuter without decorated bikes or any other BM needs. And they see me all the time knowing I'm a local.
Ano wrote:It was a buzzkill to drive in, riding my brake to stay under 5mph, while two BLM officers sat on the side in their cars with radars looking to pull anyone over. Who the fuck are they keeping safe pulling over vehicles going 6mph between Gate/Greeters?
Last time I attended BM was 2010. When I pulled off highway 34 I stopped, got out of my truck and locked my front hubs. When I hit the 5 mile zone I stopped, put the transfer case in 4lo, eased my foot off the clutch and crept in without touching my brakes. I had to accelerate to maintain 5mph.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:16 pm

That makes no sense whatsoever. Why would you lock your hubs?!! You could still shift into 4-low with them unlocked. If you lock them all you're doing is binding up your drivetrain, you're still on a hard enough surface to have zero need for 4WD. Next time do your truck a big favor and leave the hubs unlocked!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Britbrat
Burning Since: 2015

Post by Britbrat » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:40 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Doctor VonBacon wrote:I wonder if this could be added to the Survival Guide as required viewing.
Whatever's on the link, let's not get all crazy with what the event organizers should be "requiring" from participants. I'm sure they do a hell of a lot of editing to get it down to as few pages as it is, and if you've been paying attention, you'll see that many people don't even read that much. You can certainly recommend it as much as you want to anyone who will stand still, but I've come to be suspicious of people trying to get them to something else in addition.
It's a Chris Rock video - How Not to Get Your As Kicked by the Police,

something humorous for the thread at hand is all, and I do believe the thought regarding adding it to the survival guide was tongue in cheek.

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:01 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Why would you lock your hubs?!! You could still shift into 4-low with them unlocked.
I know four wheel drive isn't needed to drive on the playa surface and not the best thing with the hard surface. You're probably right. I'm no Mr Goodwrench, but I've always been under the impression that if you put the transfer case into 4lo or 4hi, the hubs need to be locked otherwise the transfer case could be damaged. If I had automatic locking hubs, and used 4lo for the same reason, wouldn't the four wheel drive system would be engaged? My reason for using it was to reduce having to disengage or ride the clutch or having to brake while in the 5 mile zone and it worked for the most part. I have relatively high (3.31) gears in the differentials and no granny low. More for highway driving than rock crawling. Thanks for your input and I will have to do some research on it.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

The Rod
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: THREAT

Post by The Rod » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:36 pm

melodiousdirge wrote: Something else to consider is that a large number of burners are travelling from states where certain substances are legal for recreational and/or medical use that are NOT legal in NV. Someone who regularly transports one of said substances in their vehicle could trigger a dog without actually having done anything wrong.
I live in one of those states...

As of April this year the State of Nevada's medical marijuana program recognizes and allows protection for out-of-state residents who hold a MMJ card that is issued by their resident state. http://www.kindclinics.com/wp-content/u ... es-Law.pdf See sections 19.5 and 24.9

California's laws are not as clear, but are interpreted as 'likely legal'. See: http://www.theweedblog.com/medical-mari ... alifornia/

If it's legal for you to posses it and legal for you to smoke it, a cop or a dog smelling it in your vehicle is not cause for a search. As long as you're not driving under the influence.

Of course this means absolutely nothing once you enter BLM land and you're in the jurisdiction of the feds. They still have some catching up to do when it comes to 'certain substances'...

Stay safe. Don't do anything stupid. Also nice to know is while its a huge pain to have your shit torn apart and searched and fined $500 they're not out there to arrest people. They just want your money.

Edit: As far as quality of driving and scenery 395 is the best option...
Thecatman wrote: but I've always been under the impression that if you put the transfer case into 4lo or 4hi, the hubs need to be locked otherwise the transfer case could be damaged.
I don't think it'd make much difference whether you locked your hubs or not. Unlocked with the transfer case in 4lo the front axle(s) are just spinning freely. Locked and you have power to the front wheels. 5 mph on the playa in 4lo with the hubs engaged won't damage your truck.
if god can kill his only son you should be allowed to kill yours

Fidget

Post by Fidget » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:46 am

A-RockLeFrench wrote: Stay safe. Don't do anything stupid. Also nice to know is while its a huge pain to have your shit torn apart and searched and fined $500 they're not out there to arrest people. They just want your money.
Totally true and if you're a US resident then it's just a ding on your wallet - if you are from out of country.. good luck ever getting back in. Which basically means no more Burning Man.
Never rub another man's rhubarb.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:25 pm

If you went 4-wheeling often, you'd be amazed how much stuff gets broken at 5 MPH!

You're better off leaving the front hubs unlocked on the playa. You won't hurt the transfer case doing that in 4-low, in fact it's a lot easier on it. When you turn, even slightly, your front wheels don't travel exactly the same distance as the rears. The transfer case is where the front and rear get bound up together... One of two things has to happen. Your tires are forced to slip, or something breaks, most likely a u-joint or axle. On a hard surface like the playa a whole lot of force is required to make the tires skid off that pressure. It's not good for anything in your drivetrain.
So called "all wheel drive" vehicles have a differential between the front and rear, much like the one in your front or rear axle that allows the outside tire to turn faster than the inside one on a curve.
Part-time 4-wheel drive trucks that have hubs you can lock/unlock don't have that, the front and rear are just locked together solid when in 4WD. They depend on the surface being slippery enough that there's never much bind-up.
That's why I say you're much better off leaving the hubs unlocked on the playa.
On a hard surface like that where you don't need 4WD, there's absolutely nothing to gain for binding up and stressing out your drivetrain parts like that.

Now, if it rains out there, that's different. Then lock it up! That way you can get further into trouble :)
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

forty_eight

Post by forty_eight » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:20 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
When you turn, even slightly, your front wheels don't travel exactly the same distance as the rears. The transfer case is where the front and rear get bound up together... One of two things has to happen. Your tires are forced to slip, or something breaks, most likely a u-joint or axle. On a hard surface like the playa a whole lot of force is required to make the tires skid off that pressure. It's not good for anything in your drivetrain.
best explanation i've read for why you shouldn't put a truck in 4WD on dry and hard surfaces.
Captain Goddammit wrote:That way you can get further into trouble :)
lol, this is the truth about 4WD/AWD. gives you just enough confidence to make bad decisions when driving in poor/difficult conditions.

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:28 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote: Now, if it rains out there, that's different. Then lock it up! That way you can get further into trouble :)
Heheheh! truth there lol! Before long someone is bound to jump in here with warnings not to drive on playa if it rains, because yes, you will get further into trouble :D

I might add to the above police-stop-on-the-way-to-Burning-Man discussion, that the best reply to the officer's inquiry of where you are heading to, is to say with some enthusiasm 'we're going to Burning Man!'. Because you are. And he knows that. But if you are weaseling on that its a red flag, and the search is on. Advice from friends on the force. 8)
Burning Man 2003-19-FO2020; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

FossaFerox
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:41 am

I'll just leave this here. They just updated it for this year with info from last year. Incidentally, fuck Mono county and the 395.

http://www.lawyersforburners.com

Whether or not you're doing anything wrong, I wouldn't want to support a county that "[hunts] burners" by stopping there for food or gas.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

forty_eight

Post by forty_eight » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:59 am

lol

that's a broad brush you got there

something about the internet magnifies people's fears and reaction to those fears

sky is always falling and shit

lucky420
Burning Since: 2023
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:34 pm

FossaFerox wrote:I'll just leave this here. They just updated it for this year with info from last year. Incidentally, fuck Mono county and the 395.

http://www.lawyersforburners.com

Whether or not you're doing anything wrong, I wouldn't want to support a county that "[hunts] burners" by stopping there for food or gas.

There's a new sheriff in town. And you do know that the event is held in Pershing County where the Judge is really not so burner friendly at all.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

forty_eight

Post by forty_eight » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:49 pm

^ right! the "community" elected a new sheriff ... no need to punish them!

and all the sketch ass shit we hear about ON-PLAYA, etc. hard to reconcile the standards and follow-on conclusions.

the 395 is my (leads to my) happy place(s), so I'm a little reactionary in defense of it, as well. :)

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:07 am

It is a beautiful drive. :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Fan C
Camp Name: Mighty Misfits

Post by Fan C » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:27 am

48_love wrote:^ right! the "community" elected a new sheriff ... no need to punish them!

and all the sketch ass shit we hear about ON-PLAYA, etc. hard to reconcile the standards and follow-on conclusions.

the 395 is my (leads to my) happy place(s), so I'm a little reactionary in defense of it, as well. :)
I think of it as not punishment per se. More of a demonstration of what they'll miss if they don't keep their stormtroopers in line.

caffeineslinger
Burning Since: 2003

Post by caffeineslinger » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:01 pm

The new Mono County sheriff doesn't start until January.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:47 pm

Well he could be a lame duck who doesn't give a fuck anymore...

Or

He could be an angry duck who still gives a fuck...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”