Park at Reno Airport, then BXB?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Aurorealis
Burning Since: 2014

Park at Reno Airport, then BXB?

Post by Aurorealis » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:41 pm

Been keeping an eye on the rideshare boards but haven't seen much....

If I drive from Boulder CO down to Reno, will it be reasonable to park my car at the airport for the week (I see on the airport's website that there is long term parking) and take the Burner Express to get to the playa?

Virgin made the rookie mistake of not having everything set in place by last month :oops:

Or if anyone knows of anyone with extra space passing through Boulder or Denver....!

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Re: Park at Reno Airport, then BXB?

Post by pink » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:50 pm

Why aren't you driving to the playa?
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

Aurorealis
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Aurorealis » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:17 am

No vehicle pass, and debating if I would want to drive it onto the playa (I saw some people mention that the dust f*ed their cars)

*Just checked the tickets wanted/tickets offered, so now is just a matter of deciding if I want to drive or not, not too worried about obtaining a pass if I decide to drive

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:24 am

You might look into staying at the Grand Sierra hotel for a night inbound for shopping and a night outbound for showering. Then you might be able to leave your car there at no charge. There is a Barbie Death Village special which may may not still be available and there will be plenty of burners there. if you join a camp, you might be able to arrange a ride hotel-playa-hotel from campmates or on the BM rideboard.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:52 am

I think you would be fine parking at the airport.

How much stuff are you bringing? Because you are very limited to what you can bring on the Burner Express. And plenty of people manage to bring their cars home safely, clean them out, and bring them back next year.

But... If you are with a camp and just have your own personal stuff, I would find the bus VERY tempting. No wait at gate or exodus. No biting the inside of your cheek to stay awake on the long drive. No terror as an idiot in an RV nearly runs you off the road trying to pass you.
Sic Semper Spectatores

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:27 am

yes there is long term parking at the airport. Last time I used it, it was $10 a day
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Milayna
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Milayna » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:29 am

I think it would really be an extra hassle to park and take another means of transportation in. If you close your car up for the week once you've unpacked everything you can minimize the dust that gets inside. I also laid a big plastic drop cloth over the back seats and trunk so that when I packed the car up at the end of the week there would be some protection from all my dusty stuff. When you get home have the air filter changed and have the car detailed. I drove in a brand new car last year, followed these guidelines, and my car didn't sustain any damage whatsoever, I'm taking it again this year.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”