Carrying bikes on popup trailer

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
nixiebunny

Carrying bikes on popup trailer

Post by nixiebunny » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:49 pm

I need to get our two furry bikes to the playa again this year, but now I have a popup trailer to hang them on. I had used a tent trailer in previous years, with a folding plywood top. This one has a thin metal sheet over some sort of frame, and I don't want the bikes' pokey bits going through the metal.

I assume it makes the most sense to build a rack of some sort to hold the bikes. Flat seems better than upright, as it lowers the danger of colliding with a low roof.

Have any of you built anything to deal with carrying bikes on a popup or similar trailer? Ideas?
--David Forbes

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Carrying bikes on popup trailer

Post by GreyCoyote » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:53 pm

I adapted a 2-bike rack designed for an SUV with a receiver hitch once. Welded it on to the trailer tongue because there wasnt anywhere else that was really structural. Unfortunately, no pictures :cry: but it worked really well and kept the license plate clear. You might try this.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”