Running the gauntlet

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
penrose

Running the gauntlet

Post by penrose » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:40 am

Questions / concerns I didn't find answers for.

My old truck being a rolling pile of equipment violations, I wonder if anyone knows just what will be checked should I get pulled over. My plate won't be obscured, my trailer and roof will be packed well, and I won't have felonious substances. But stuff happens.

Might the dime-sized hole in my rear taillight lens attract attention? If I'm stopped, might they care if the horn doesn't work? The backup lights?

Does possession of hundreds of N2O cartridges pose a risk? (Only found, of course, in a thorough search.)

How much thinner is LEO presence the week before the Burn? I imagine the enforcement energy ramps up on the weekend, and I'm coming in before that. I've never had any hint of a problem before, but stuff happens. (My route is 80 eastbound to Fernley, and on up.)

Thanks in advance for your helpful responses!

rmc50
Burning Since: 2013

Re: Running the gauntlet

Post by rmc50 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:29 pm

Having driven "rolling pile of equipment violations" type vehicles when I was younger, my experience is that a bored LEO will use it as an excuse to do something.

My experience at events that attract large groups of people is that the LEOs prefer to make their presense known, and the best way of doing that is to keep the lights flashing, and they will use any excuse to pull someone over.

Last year on the road to Burning Man they had plenty of valid reasons to keep their lights going, mostly from the vehicles that had broken down.

At Burning Man I was returning from the Deep Playa after working on our art installation, a couple blocks from my camp and moving slowly when I got pulled over. The reason: the tags on the license plate were out of date. Ooops! The new tags were sitting on kitchen table, which I had intended to put on before I left but it somehow had been neglected. A lot of "Yes Sir", "No Sir" and being as polite as possible and I was on my way, after the officer had confirmed that indeed my registration had been paid. I would like to note that it was NOT a bad experience at all and I have a lot of respect for all the LEOs at Burning Man.

My suggestion to you is to fix all those things that are in violation. Auto parts stores sell colored transparent tape that will patch up the tailight lense. After market horns are not too expensive. I have never had my backup lights checked, I wouldn't worry about them. All the other lights should work, I highly recommend having them in working order. Do not speed, don't do anything to draw attention to yourself. If you are stopped, be polite and courteous.

Rod

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:36 pm

I imagine that is the N2O is discovered you had better have the equipment and fixins to make whipped cream or you may have some issues.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Fan C
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Mighty Misfits

Post by Fan C » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:44 pm

A "broken light" is an excuse to pull you over. LEO's aren't doing anything any different out there, they find ANY reason to pull over a profiled vehicle and try to intimidate you into a drug bust.

One day I may just deliberately have a light out just to waste their time while they are fishing.

In otherwords the equipment issues are just a fix it ticket, they are only using as an excuse to look for something else.

Getting through is easy (carrying or not) just don't be the low hanging fruit, know your rights, give the LEO's nothing.

There are numerous videos on how to behave the ACLU has one of the best. This applies anywhere, not just at ttitd.

Hell even if searched and something is found there is no point in arguing with anyone who is not a judge.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:11 pm

Why on earth would you go where you damn well know the cops will be looking for such obvious "pull me over" stuff like broken tail lights? Can't you just turn a couple screws and slap on a new lens?

To specifically answer the question, it's fairly unlikely they will do a D.O.T. vehicle inspection and bust you on the horn or backup lights, but the junkier it appears, the more they will look.
And yes, the busted tail light lens is something that can get you singled out. I've been stopped for having a small hole in a tail light lens before. (It wasn't my car).
I wouldn't put that red tail light tape shit on, that stuff screams "everything on this vehicle is half-assed".
Also it's not really a fix, it's still technically illegal because it's not reflective.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:41 pm

Horn? Is it really illegal to NOT have a horn.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:44 pm

Drawingablank wrote:I imagine that is the N2O is discovered you had better have the equipment and fixins to make whipped cream or you may have some issues.
In the state of Nevada it is very much illegal unless you are using it for food, and they can and will fine you the max if they find it (which was $1000 last time I heard of it happening)
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:51 pm

Ratty wrote:Horn? Is it really illegal to NOT have a horn.
Yes, horns are a legal requirement. When they stop big trucks they DO check that.
In a car or pickup truck it's unlikely (but not impossible) to get ticketed for it, but a hole in a tail light lens is like waving a big "pull me over" flag.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:56 pm

Thanks Capt. I drive pretty new cars now that I can. I haven't used my horn in years! You don't have to have side mirrors. Do you? Or a rear view mirror? (I've owned vehicles with no back window.) How about wipers? Just how far have they carried this legal necessity?
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:18 pm

Ratty wrote:Thanks Capt. I drive pretty new cars now that I can. I haven't used my horn in years! You don't have to have side mirrors. Do you? Or a rear view mirror? (I've owned vehicles with no back window.) How about wipers? Just how far have they carried this legal necessity?
Side mirrors: You have to have one on the driver's side. You have to have them on both sides if your rear vision is blocked, such as when you have no back window.
I'm not really sure about the center rear view mirror requirement, I know if you have both side mirrors you don't need it.
Wipers are required. I don't have any on my '55 Chevy, (the wiper motor doesn't clear the engine I have in it, and the wipers are ugly anyway) but I never drive it in the rain. I've actually almost gotten a ticket for no wipers before (I did get a "fix-it" order), back in the '80s while being stopped for lack of mud flaps on a pickup truck. The rule about that is rear tires have to be covered from the halfway point and up.
Funny thing, as far as I can tell, wipers are required but a windshield isn't! You have to wear eye protection as on a motorcycle if you haven't got one, and if you do have one it can't be broken.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:20 pm

Search eBay for new tail-light lenses at a fraction of dealer price. I bought one for my neighbor and I cannot tell it from the original.

Some tail-light lenses are glued in. They are still replaceable, but you would want somebody who has done it before -- unless the lens comes with good instructions.
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:56 pm

Spend the money on your truck instead of those N2O cartridges!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:53 am

Remember, you have to conform to the standards of each and every state you drive through. They will mostly be the same, but there's always some little variation.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”