RV: To purchase or not ...

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Re: RV: To purchase or not ...

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:28 am

I would have to disagree with you - depending on your price points and usage buying an RV was the best decision we made for BM and our family to use. Storing it off season? 222 a month to park it seems ridiculously high. and 100 a month in fuel to keep the batteries charged and bearings lubricated? This makes little sense. There is no need in modern bearings to "keep them lubricated" They are sealed - the grease is not going anywhere. If your paying 222 a month I would expect it to be stored indoors, with power available - just plug it in.

You may want to revisit your maintenance program - ymmv of course.

5000.00 for fuel to gerlach and home - Mapquest. Keywest to gerlach and back - 2020.00 at current rates and 8 miles a gallon. onve again ymmv.

just sayin.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

mooserider
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

Post by mooserider » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:55 am

mdmf007 wrote:I would have to disagree with you - depending on your price points and usage buying an RV was the best decision we made for BM and our family to use. Storing it off season? 222 a month to park it seems ridiculously high. and 100 a month in fuel to keep the batteries charged and bearings lubricated? This makes little sense. There is no need in modern bearings to "keep them lubricated" They are sealed - the grease is not going anywhere. If your paying 222 a month I would expect it to be stored indoors, with power available - just plug it in.

You may want to revisit your maintenance program - ymmv of course.

5000.00 for fuel to gerlach and home - Mapquest. Keywest to gerlach and back - 2020.00 at current rates and 8 miles a gallon. onve again ymmv.

just sayin.
I like having the beast available; when my ladyfriend and her whole family wanted to join me to go to an amusement park, it was the only vehicle among the bunch of us with enough seating for 7 people (I miss my old '77 full-sized van from my evil days of rock-and-roll). And it sure was nice having a bathroom on board when we were stuck in the parking lot for two hours from traffic from a Jimmy Buffett concert letting out at the same time the park closed.... :wink: And I would never again take a rental where we like to camp. Though I still found it annoying the one year I rented, and the vehicle survived the Canadian wilderness and logging roads, and then the medicine cabinet fell off the bathroom wall while driving on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Talk about potholes.... :P

Re: parking: it used to be $111 a month, but the idiots in the rent-a-storage spot next to me kept gouging my motor home with their work trucks and cargo trailers because they would turn too early coming out of their spots. So I had to rent two adjacent parking spots and straddle them to keep my vehicle away from theirs. :evil: No longer surprised that the folks with the brand-new travel trailer on the other side had rented two spots, too. Rather annoying to have a 10-foot-wide parking spot for a 9-foot-wide vehicle.

I'm still trying to track down the battery leakage that flattens them in a month, so I have to run the generator about 5 hours a month to keep the batteries topped up. At $700 for a new set of batteries, I really don't want to have to replace them every year. Hence why I am looking into solar. Re: bearings: I was more referring to the pistons and whatnot, so the oil doesn't all drip into the crankcase and leave the pistons dry. So I run the main engine for a bit every month just to spread out the oil. These big diesel engines aren't designed to sit unused for months on end. But at least the fuel doesn't go bad sitting there like gasoline would.

I only get 6 miles per gallon, and that's diesel, not gasoline (I like the beast, but it's bigger than I would have bought if I was buying instead of inheriting). I was also accounting for tolls and campgrounds for three nights each way, so it's more than just fuel. Sorry for the artificial inflation.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:20 pm

I'm still trying to track down the battery leakage that flattens them in a month,...
Might be the inverter. If I understand it correctly, an inverter is partly a transformer, and some "juice" always runs thru it. But you should be able to solve this by installing a main switch to separate the batteries completely from the vehicle. Possibly, you might need two main switches -- one for the cranking-batteries and one for house-batteries. A competent vehicle electrician should be able to sort this out.
Or you could simply disconnect the battery cable(s).

As for Diesel fuel not going bad.... Well, yes and no. It is true that Diesel fuel does not have the "light ends" of petroleum that evaporate so easily from gasoline. But Diesel fuel can harbor microbes that grow during storage. The result can be clogged filters. Happened to me last spring -- green slime in the primary filter on my first drive of the season. So it might be a good idea to mix in an additive that is formulated specifically for Diesel storage. Something "anti bio" -- I forget actual names.

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:05 pm

I get ya -
Re the battery leak - a battery isolating switch is sometimes the easiest solution over beating your head on the dash trying to track an errant circuit. Also makes stealing your rig that much more difficult.

MDMF

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:27 am

Another circuit that is always on - is the CO2 detectors. They will drain my batteries if I do not disconnect them. They are hardwired as well, before the panels.

SageV
Burning Since: 1999

Post by SageV » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:11 pm

Since I'm the guy who always comes out with left field suggestions, as I got ancient I switched from a tent to a teardrop trailer and a Yeti cooler.

The teardrop has a comfortable bed, it keeps you out of the elements, it's trivial to store, and you can tow it behind any passenger vehicle. Also, it doesn't isolate you from the burn like an RV or big trailer does, those things tend to become little cocoons on the playa. They have most everything but the toilet, and there are ways to have your own porta pottie by your camp with a little privy tent and a bucket with a seat on it and the right stuff to neutralize and store the waste.

An expensive cooler is the best investment I ever made. Unlike every cooler I've owned, the Yeti actually keeps the ice cold for days if you maintain it properly. They have other competitors but I haven't met others I've found playa worthy.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
-- Hunter S. Thompson

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:06 pm

I've heard that tent-camper line about how being in an RV isolates you from BRC... well yeah, that's what's AWESOME about it!
It's damn fine to be able to escape that hot dirty fucking desert, and I maintain that being able to rest and clean up and generally refresh makes a person much happier and more ready to go back out there on the playa.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:15 & D

Post by Molotov » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:01 pm

Well, the good news for some RV owners traveling west is the unusual price structure of diesel compared to gas this summer. For the first time in a long time gasoline is more expensive than diesel at many filling stations, even the big corporate truck stop chains. (at least in TX, KS, OK, NE, and IA) My 2005 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton turbo diesel averages 20 mpg pulling my small egg shaped travel trailer to TTITD, so at least this year my fuel costs for the 2200 mile trips should be pretty reasonable. No more $135 fill-ups for a while. :wink:

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”