Leaving Burning Man Early?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
jorza
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:57 pm
Burning Since: 2015

Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by jorza » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:02 am

Hi Guys,
My girlfriend and I are from Australia, looking to make 2015 our first Burning Man Experience. Our Visa's have been finalised however we need to depart on 3rd Sep 2015. Meaning we're going to attend first few days of BM and return in 2016 to do the WHOLE thing.
Does anyone know how we can leave early or what methods of transportation other than hire car there are to leave the event to get back to Reno?

Thanks,
Jorza!

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40313
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:32 am

Check out the threads on the Burner Xpress Bus.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14712
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by Elderberry » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:33 am

Welcome to eplaya.

How are you planning on getting to the burn? I'd assume you'd use the same mode of transportation to leave. If you're planning on coming on the Burner Express Bus from San Francisco or Reno, this year they began return trips on Friday. Probably will be the same next year, if that will get you out in time.

If you've got the bucks, you can buy a ride on a charter plane from BM to Reno departing on whatever day you make your reservation for. There's a pretty scant weight limit on the amount of luggage you can take on the plane.

And of course you can rent a car or truck.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

jorza
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:57 pm
Burning Since: 2015

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by jorza » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:19 pm

I've had a look at Burner Xpress,
I cant seem to find much info on if it does daily trips or not.

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14712
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by Elderberry » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:12 pm

The bus has trips at the beginning of the event and at the end of the event starting on Friday. There is no scheduled service during the week. http://burnerexpress.com/faq/
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
Jovankat
Posts: 1670
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:11 am
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children
Location: Oakland or Australia

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by Jovankat » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:58 am

What visa are you guys coming in on? If you're planning on visiting anywhere else in the Americas that is not the US at the end of your trip you could maybe come back in on an ESTA visa waiver and get another 3 months.

You could also just overstay. I know a few people who've done that without consequences. YMMV though.

jorza
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:57 pm
Burning Since: 2015

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by jorza » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:41 pm

I'm on a tourist visa which is strictly monitored as a Waiver of Ineligibility because I have a criminal record, so my visa is generally approved or declined based on the length of my trip, as this was a last minute addition.
I would overstay, but i've also got a working visa underway, and i don't want to do anything to hurt the chances of that succeeding.

My issue is, we are wanting to get to burning man on 31st August, and Leave on 3rd.
On the 31st we will be checking out of our LA hotel,
whats the best way to get to burning man and then back?
If the burner Xpress runs daily, can i just head back to San Fran and fly..etc.

We can't hire a car.

User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
Posts: 20203
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:23 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art
Location: Wild, Wild West
Contact:

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by AntiM » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:48 am

Looks like charter flight is your best option.

Honestly, I would not risk it, you have a lot at stake. If it rains, you are stuck on the playa, they close the road and the airport. This happened this year, it could easily happen again.

User avatar
Doctor VonBacon
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:05 pm
Burning Since: 2013
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by Doctor VonBacon » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:05 am

AntiM wrote:Looks like charter flight is your best option.

Honestly, I would not risk it, you have a lot at stake. If it rains, you are stuck on the playa, they close the road and the airport. This happened this year, it could easily happen again.
+1 for AntiM.

You want to attend half the burn, and by doing so expose yourself to unnecessary risks to your livelihood (your work visa) and your chances to get a return visa for 2016 to do the entire burn.

Do yourself a favor, and postpone until 2016 where you can stay for the whole burn and plan for weather or other contingencies which will alter your travel plans. You have a LOT at stake here.

Whatever you choose, good luck.
I like eggs.

User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
Posts: 20203
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:23 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art
Location: Wild, Wild West
Contact:

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by AntiM » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:16 am

If it were not for the work visa hanging over his head, I'd say go for it, but a few days up front are chancy and could mean a fat forever fuck you from the US government if anything goes wrong.

Try Yosemite or our other amazing parks and monuments. The US is amazingly varied and vast, lots of good choices.

User avatar
Eric
Moderator
Posts: 9358
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly
Contact:

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by Eric » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:11 pm

Another one agreeing with AntiM - there are too many variables that can close the Gate unexpectedly, and you could get stuck out there for a long time past your deadline. Burner Express starts doing return-rides on the Friday of the event, which would be Sept 4th in 2015, so that won't work. The only option would be flying out, but even then you run the risk of a whiteout or rain (or a missing child) closing the airport down for anywhere from a few hours to over a day. It will still be there in 2016, and you'll be in a safer place to attend.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

User avatar
purcitron
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:35 pm
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by purcitron » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:55 pm

need advice please.
never been to BM.
want to avoid exodus traffic.
-can i drive out on saturday night, shortly after the big burn, around 2am (sunday)? (what time is the big burn itself?)
-allowed to drive at night (to leave)?

thanks!

User avatar
digital
Posts: 608
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:38 pm
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by digital » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:08 pm

Leave whenever you want!

I highly suggest Thursday or Friday, however. Nothing to see after that.

User avatar
some seeing eye
Posts: 3174
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:06 pm
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo
Location: The Oregon

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:18 pm

Exodus is different each year. Last year's waits are at https://twitter.com/bmantraffic. No guarantee of being able to follow Twitter on the playa. But they are also broadcast live on BMIR FM radio. Many people pack completely before the man burn.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

maladroit
Posts: 2374
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:37 pm
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by maladroit » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:03 pm

Driving out Saturday night right after the burn is NOT a way to avoid Exodus. A lot of people have the same idea.

User avatar
purcitron
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:35 pm
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by purcitron » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:02 am

maladroit wrote:Driving out Saturday night right after the burn is NOT a way to avoid Exodus. A lot of people have the same idea.
good point, but surely there are less people leaving saturday night than monday?
-what about driving during darkness.... is it permitted? is it practical?
thanks

User avatar
Sham
Moderator
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by Sham » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:19 am

Again, each year is very different and there is no real answer now.

In 2013, there was a threat of rain, so large crowds left at the same time to avoid getting stuck in the playa mud. In 2014, I left my camp at 9:00am on Monday and never stopped all the way out to the pavement. Our group was expecting a several hour delay, and was so surprised that we had the whole day out in the free world.

Traditionally over the years, I have left my camp at 8:00am on Sunday morning and had little to no delay leaving.

What really helps me, are all the people leaving early to avoid the crowds. Some leave immediately after the Man burn, and others leave after the Temple burn. All these thousands of people with different theories help to clear out the city and alleviate traffic.

I have also found that once you hit the pavement, there is no stopped traffic unless there is an accident. Getting enough sleep prior to leaving is very important. So many people head out on the roads deprived of sleep for many days.

User avatar
purcitron
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:35 pm
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by purcitron » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:01 am

Sham wrote:Again, each year is very different and there is no real answer now.

In 2013, there was a threat of rain, so large crowds left at the same time to avoid getting stuck in the playa mud. In 2014, I left my camp at 9:00am on Monday and never stopped all the way out to the pavement. Our group was expecting a several hour delay, and was so surprised that we had the whole day out in the free world.

Traditionally over the years, I have left my camp at 8:00am on Sunday morning and had little to no delay leaving.

What really helps me, are all the people leaving early to avoid the crowds. Some leave immediately after the Man burn, and others leave after the Temple burn. All these thousands of people with different theories help to clear out the city and alleviate traffic.

I have also found that once you hit the pavement, there is no stopped traffic unless there is an accident. Getting enough sleep prior to leaving is very important. So many people head out on the roads deprived of sleep for many days.
right.
-what about driving during darkness (the man burn ends around 3am?).... is it permitted? is it practical?
thanks

User avatar
FIGJAM
Posts: 10236
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:16 am

Yes.

You can drive anytime.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

User avatar
lucky420
Posts: 8760
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:47 am
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity
Location: Reno, NV

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by lucky420 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:45 am

purcitron wrote:
Sham wrote:Again, each year is very different and there is no real answer now.

In 2013, there was a threat of rain, so large crowds left at the same time to avoid getting stuck in the playa mud. In 2014, I left my camp at 9:00am on Monday and never stopped all the way out to the pavement. Our group was expecting a several hour delay, and was so surprised that we had the whole day out in the free world.

Traditionally over the years, I have left my camp at 8:00am on Sunday morning and had little to no delay leaving.

What really helps me, are all the people leaving early to avoid the crowds. Some leave immediately after the Man burn, and others leave after the Temple burn. All these thousands of people with different theories help to clear out the city and alleviate traffic.

I have also found that once you hit the pavement, there is no stopped traffic unless there is an accident. Getting enough sleep prior to leaving is very important. So many people head out on the roads deprived of sleep for many days.
right.
-what about driving during darkness (the man burn ends around 3am?).... is it permitted? is it practical?
thanks
If your night vision is good, your well rested and not fucked up you're good to anytime
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

User avatar
purcitron
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:35 pm
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by purcitron » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:58 am

lucky420 wrote:
purcitron wrote:
Sham wrote:Again, each year is very different and there is no real answer now.

In 2013, there was a threat of rain, so large crowds left at the same time to avoid getting stuck in the playa mud. In 2014, I left my camp at 9:00am on Monday and never stopped all the way out to the pavement. Our group was expecting a several hour delay, and was so surprised that we had the whole day out in the free world.

Traditionally over the years, I have left my camp at 8:00am on Sunday morning and had little to no delay leaving.

What really helps me, are all the people leaving early to avoid the crowds. Some leave immediately after the Man burn, and others leave after the Temple burn. All these thousands of people with different theories help to clear out the city and alleviate traffic.

I have also found that once you hit the pavement, there is no stopped traffic unless there is an accident. Getting enough sleep prior to leaving is very important. So many people head out on the roads deprived of sleep for many days.
right.
-what about driving during darkness (the man burn ends around 3am?).... is it permitted? is it practical?
thanks
If your night vision is good, your well rested and not fucked up you're good to anytime
terse AAAND eloquent.. i like it.

-can you please tell me at approx what time the man burn & temple burn take place?
thanks

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14712
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by Elderberry » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:16 am

That's an interesting question, I've really never checked the clock. I'd guess a bit after dark, maybe 8-9 ish? Then the fireworks and burn itself and it's over before midnight. It also depends on the weather. If it's too windy, they wait, and wait, and wait until it calms down. Should that be the case (and it has been in the past), all bets are off as to when it's over.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
Sham
Moderator
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by Sham » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:56 pm

I have always planned my flights for late the following day after I leave the playa. It's really a nice down time after leaving the dust to decompress and explore the Reno area before heading back to reality.

I know that purcitron is looking for a solid answer to a question, but there really is none. One might say that if you leave immediately after the burn of the Man on Saturday night, you would get stuck in that traffic. If you wait until 3:00am, all that traffic will be gone and you can drive right out. That might all change due to weather or weather predictions.

User avatar
digital
Posts: 608
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:38 pm
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by digital » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:31 pm

purcitron wrote: -can you please tell me at approx what time the man burn & temple burn take place?
thanks
We usually get the go ahead to light the man around 9. This is hugely dependent on weather / wind conditions.

The burn itself can last anywhere from half an hour to multiple hours as we saw last year. Unfortunately, certain factors prevented us from using desired materials and the structure remained standing longer than planned. We will not suffer from this in 2015.

As others said, many people have the same idea to leave right after the man burn. You will not avoid exodus. In fact, you will be in the middle of it. Why not just enjoy burn night and leave Sunday after a good rest? Exodus isn't necessarily bad... Some people love it with the impromptu parties created after pulsing began.

User avatar
purcitron
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:35 pm
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by purcitron » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:47 pm

digital wrote:
purcitron wrote: -can you please tell me at approx what time the man burn & temple burn take place?
thanks
We usually get the go ahead to light the man around 9. This is hugely dependent on weather / wind conditions.

The burn itself can last anywhere from half an hour to multiple hours as we saw last year. Unfortunately, certain factors prevented us from using desired materials and the structure remained standing longer than planned. We will not suffer from this in 2015.

As others said, many people have the same idea to leave right after the man burn. You will not avoid exodus. In fact, you will be in the middle of it. Why not just enjoy burn night and leave Sunday after a good rest? Exodus isn't necessarily bad... Some people love it with the impromptu parties created after pulsing began.
thanks for the advice.
it sounds like the traffic is worse at 3am sunday than 9am sunday.

is the temple burn also around the same time as the man burn, but on the following night?
-is leaving around 3am on sunday reasonable?
thanks.

User avatar
mgb327
Posts: 1084
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Somerset, Va.

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by mgb327 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:57 pm

Good God, is it page 2 yet?????
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

User avatar
some seeing eye
Posts: 3174
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:06 pm
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo
Location: The Oregon

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:01 pm

Temple burn is a little earlier, targeted for 8. Since the population cap is likely to increase in '16, '15 should be a great year for exodus. There will be plenty of guidance and info on exodus closer to the event, you can read last year's ePlaya threads and subscribe to Jack Rabbit Speaks emails.

(it's too early for page 2)

(and it's never too early to start on packing lists, costumes and meeting burners in your region)
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

User avatar
Eric
Moderator
Posts: 9358
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly
Contact:

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by Eric » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:23 pm

purcitron wrote:it sounds like the traffic is worse at 3am sunday than 9am sunday.
It might be. Or it might not be. It is never the same.

As has been said responding to your question, there is no way to know in advance how exodus is going to be, or at exactly what time anything at Burning Man will happen. It doesn't run on strict schedules, and the weather can play a huge part in deciding how and when things happen - things are very different out there. Even "scheduled burns" (or what some people call "the big Burns" - the Man, the Temple, major pieces of art) are on approximate times, not exact.

As for exodus - it could be great, it could suck. You could drive all the way out without stopping (incredibly rare) or you could be in traffic 6-8 hours (way more common). All you can do is listen to BMIR starting on Saturday night or Sunday morning, depending on when you are rested enough to leave, and hope you hit a good window. It's part of the zen of Burning Man, just accept it. Bring something to read, something to snack on, something to drink - but absolutely no alcohol (because nobody want to be the person who rolls their vehicle on 447, which has happened almost every year)

We used to leave right before the Man burn, because it was smooth sailing - until it wasn't anymore. The last time we did it we ended up in an hour long exodus (still not bad, but we did have to stop & go at the end). Depend on nothing going like you want for exodus, and you'll be much happier.
some seeing eye wrote:(it's too early for page 2)
Incorrect. The question has been answered fully, which is what we hope will happen before the snark flies. Have at, if you must.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

User avatar
purcitron
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:35 pm
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by purcitron » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:44 am

Eric wrote:
purcitron wrote:it sounds like the traffic is worse at 3am sunday than 9am sunday.
It might be. Or it might not be. It is never the same.

As has been said responding to your question, there is no way to know in advance how exodus is going to be, or at exactly what time anything at Burning Man will happen. It doesn't run on strict schedules, and the weather can play a huge part in deciding how and when things happen - things are very different out there. Even "scheduled burns" (or what some people call "the big Burns" - the Man, the Temple, major pieces of art) are on approximate times, not exact.

As for exodus - it could be great, it could suck. You could drive all the way out without stopping (incredibly rare) or you could be in traffic 6-8 hours (way more common). All you can do is listen to BMIR starting on Saturday night or Sunday morning, depending on when you are rested enough to leave, and hope you hit a good window. It's part of the zen of Burning Man, just accept it. Bring something to read, something to snack on, something to drink - but absolutely no alcohol (because nobody want to be the person who rolls their vehicle on 447, which has happened almost every year)

We used to leave right before the Man burn, because it was smooth sailing - until it wasn't anymore. The last time we did it we ended up in an hour long exodus (still not bad, but we did have to stop & go at the end). Depend on nothing going like you want for exodus, and you'll be much happier.
i see. thanks for the practical advice.
but just to confirm.. the man burn is on saturday night & the temple burn is on sunday night?
thanks.

User avatar
Sham
Moderator
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Re: Leaving Burning Man Early?

Post by Sham » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:28 pm

Purcitron, it shows that you will not be attending until 2017. That's 3 years from now. Who even knows if the event will be still going on then. Who knows what the population there will be. The event may have additional exits in 3 years. It may be in Iowa then. Why worry now, about something that is barely an abstract now?

Post Reply

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”