Any advice on where to buy Temporary RV Insurance

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
ninjaferret
Burning Since: 2015

Any advice on where to buy Temporary RV Insurance

Post by ninjaferret » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:51 am

My partner and I are renting an RV to come to burning man. We currently do not own a car, so we don't have existing vehicle insurance. I'm looking for advice on the best place/method to buy temporary RV insurance. We both have great driving records, so no problems there.

Thanks in advance!

-Miss No-no & Mr. Chips

Sham

Re: Any advice on where to buy Temporary RV Insurance

Post by Sham » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:00 pm

I am going to assume that the cost of your rental includes insurance on the vehicle. I know that's how it works with rental cars. Also, if you use a major credit card, MOST (and you should check with that bank) offer insurance that covers the deductibles and other expenses that you would normally be liable for. I think that may work the same for an RV, but you would have to check on that as well.

CaffeineGirl
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: EspressoCamp/Black Rock Power Coop

Post by CaffeineGirl » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:28 pm

The RV companies we have worked with offer insurance for the vehicle (not liability) as an add-on. We checked with our auto insurance, and they will cover the liability but not the RV, presumably since it is worth way more than the average car. I have heard of auto insurance policies that will add a rider for RVs, but ours does not.

And I have yet to see a personal credit card that provides rental insurance on anything bigger than a car - pickups, trucks, cargo vans, and RVs are specifically excluded down there in the very fine print. Also, the cards typically offer only secondary insurance that will kick-in only after any payment from your auto insurance.

If you have AAA it also will exclude RVs unless you pay extra for it, and even then they may argue with you and refuse to come out (happened to a friend).

Bottom line is everyone's situation is going to be different. Do some research and read those exclusion disclaimers real careful.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:34 pm

The cost of minimum state required insurance is usually included in the rent. If you want full coverage it is usually available and fairly expensive at the rental counter. One caution, if you have a wreck then the days of "downtime" may be charged to your cc. This is not covered by insurance.
If you have insurance of any kind check with them. Something might be available under that policy for an extra charge.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

mr chips

Post by mr chips » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:13 pm

Thank you for the replies so far. We are planning to rent from a private party, not a company, so there is no option to get add-on insurance from the renter. I've talked a number of insurance companies, and so far, they just direct me to someone else, as if I'm asking a bizarre question. No luck so far. Keep the advice coming please!
Mr. Chips a.k.a Mission Control
Don't tell me what you believe, show me what you do, and I'll know what you believe.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:28 pm

If your a member of AAA you might try them.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:56 pm

If you have a relationship with an existing insurer, say for household, check with them. The liability associated with taking a vehicle to BM is nontrivial.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Popeye

Post by Popeye » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:57 pm

You can't insure something you do not have an ownership interest in. When you insure a rental RV, car, etc you are reimbursing the insurance cost plus profit to the owner. It sounds like your RV owner is not in the rental business. He may be able to add you as an additional driver to his insurance.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:35 pm

Ulisse wrote:You can't insure something you do not have an ownership interest in. When you insure a rental RV, car, etc you are reimbursing the insurance cost plus profit to the owner. It sounds like your RV owner is not in the rental business. He may be able to add you as an additional driver to his insurance.

You can insure anything you want, whether you own it or not - been doing it for years. You can get a policy online at any of the major insurers for a short term. sign up for the monthly payments, and then cancel online and pay as little as one months premium.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Popeye

Post by Popeye » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:49 pm

mdmf007 wrote:
Ulisse wrote:You can't insure something you do not have an ownership interest in. When you insure a rental RV, car, etc you are reimbursing the insurance cost plus profit to the owner. It sounds like your RV owner is not in the rental business. He may be able to add you as an additional driver to his insurance.

You can insure anything you want, whether you own it or not - been doing it for years. You can get a policy online at any of the major insurers for a short term. sign up for the monthly payments, and then cancel online and pay as little as one months premium.
Did the insurer ever pay off on damages? Are you sure you didn't buy liability insurance?
Renters insurance only covers the renters stuff, not the building. The owners insurance only covers the building not the renters stuff.
I couldn't buy life insurance on you or anything you own. If I could we would have people gaming the system (I know so and so is a lousy driver and a drunk) or knocking off the guy down the street for the insurance.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:20 pm

I thought Walmart took out policies on their greeters.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Popeye

Post by Popeye » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:07 pm

FIGJAM wrote:I thought Walmart took out policies on their greeters.
I don't know about Walmart but they may provide access to insurance, even make it a job requrement but I bet greeters have to sign up for it and and will have control over who gets the money. Walmart would not get any money if the guy died.

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:15 am

I've had success with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd%27s_of_London

It might cost a few more bucks but they managed my situation smoothly.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:02 am

Ulisse wrote:
mdmf007 wrote:

Did the insurer ever pay off on damages? Are you sure you didn't buy liability insurance?
Renters insurance only covers the renters stuff, not the building. The owners insurance only covers the building not the renters stuff.
I couldn't buy life insurance on you or anything you own. If I could we would have people gaming the system (I know so and so is a lousy driver and a drunk) or knocking off the guy down the street for the insurance.

Yes - Buddy loaned me his jeep while deployed. My 19 year old daughter tagged a guard rail. Paid out with no questions.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Popeye

Post by Popeye » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:17 am

I'm glad it worked that way for you. Hope your daughter was ok.

mr chips

Post by mr chips » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:06 pm

We made a LOT of calls, and annoyingly, the only way to do it seems the partial-kinda-sorta-truth-not-really route... tell them you're buying or renting for 6 months or more, then cancel after BMan. The issue with that is you will pay an early cancellation penalty, so in the end, it could cost a few hundred bucks, at least. Insurance is a crooked business, in my opinion, but I still prefer to shoot straight about what I want/need. We're exploring the option of getting a friend in on the RV rental, and seeing if their insurance will allow a binder, or rider, or whatever it's called :-p.
Don't tell me what you believe, show me what you do, and I'll know what you believe.

esinar

Post by esinar » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:56 am

Question still isn't answered...I'm trying to figure out where to buy temporary RV insurance as well. My auto insurance company doesn't provide temporary RV insurance.

Searching online the most common RV insurance agency that pops up is MBA Insurance (http://www.mbainsurance.net) but they are geared towards RV companies/owners not renters - they responded that if a company/owner has an existing policy I can be added to it, but I can't purchase a policy from them on my own.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:39 pm

Google turned up quite a few results. Search for "temporary motorhome insurance."
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

mr chips

Post by mr chips » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:32 pm

Hello there. We ended up using Progressive, believe it or not. Except, the trick is, you are "leasing" the RV, not "renting" it. And, you are leasing for an indeterminate amount of time. This is very important ;-). Then, when you're back home, you can cancel a few weeks later and get pro-rated for the difference. You can do all of this online. It is just about the only thing you can do, we spent sooooo much time trying to find a way to make this work. I hope this helps, and I'm jealous that you're hitting the playa this year. I hope to go back again someday soon!

knobdyspcl
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Existential Crisis

Post by knobdyspcl » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:37 pm

I was borrowing an RV and contacted my ins co USAA. They gave me a 'rider' that covered the RV etc. but not loss of use like hotel rooms and another way home etc. They suggested and additional 'travel insurance' policy from a 3rd party company just in case. They ran less than $100 for peace of mind.
Mir
the next man burns in 399 days
An existential crisis is a moment at which an individual questions the very foundations of their life: whether this life has any meaning, purpose, or value.

mr chips

Post by mr chips » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:40 pm

But... you need to already have car insurance to get a rider. If you live in the city and don't own a car, that's not an option :wink:.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”