Train Party to Reno

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
oracledante
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Otis Spankmore (in Silicon Village)

Train Party to Reno

Post by oracledante » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:40 pm

I know this is a long shot but I want to throw it out there. I've long had a desire to get a group of Burners to take the train from SJ to Reno and just have a train party (drinks, games, talking, etc.) and either rent a van from Reno to go to the Burn or hop on the Burner Express bus from Reno to get the rest of the way. Is there any interest in this? If so, please reply/PM me.

Happy Burn :)
-Dante

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Train Party to Reno

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:00 pm

You're a couple of months too late. Doc Pyro organizes one every January.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:28 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:You're a couple of months too late. Doc Pyro organizes one every January.
I thought you were coming up this year, Fishy.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

danibel
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Post by danibel » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:54 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:You're a couple of months too late. Doc Pyro organizes one every January.
I think the OP was looking to do this for the burn. The January trip sounds like fun though. I might try that sometime.
In dust we trust.

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:52 am

I'm planning on looking into rail travel for 2016, only I am coming from Wisconsin. Wisconsin to Reno, NV might be doable, if I can stand AmTrak's online system and arrange for a ride from Reno and back. And the train is more or less on time. We really need actual railroad passenger service in this nation, not the make-believe system we now have.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

BAS

Post by BAS » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:06 pm

Okay, so-- AmTrak doesn't do Wisconsin to Nevada? So rail isn't an option from the Great Lakes to anywhere near the Black Rock Desert unless you are a freight train. :?
--Russell Kirsch

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:30 am

BAS wrote:Okay, so-- AmTrak doesn't do Wisconsin to Nevada? So rail isn't an option from the Great Lakes to anywhere near the Black Rock Desert unless you are a freight train. :?
Wait, you can get from Chicago to Reno on the California Zephyr!

https://www.amtrak.com/california-zephyr-train

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:48 am

And it stops in Winnemucca as well. Not as close as Reno certainly, but a good place to hitch up with people coming from the East.

BAS

Post by BAS » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:27 am

Well, I was hoping to avoid the extra distance to California, since that adds extra time to an already long trip. It is about 2,000 miles from here to Gerlach by road and a couple days or so. I don't know what those would be for negotiating from here to California to Reno. (I got fed up with AmTrak's trip planing software before I figured out from which stations I could leave and get to a particular station. If there is a way to use it other than guess which two stations might be linked by a train I never found it.)

I didn't recall any postings about hook ups (or much of anything else) in Winnemucca, so I never really looked into getting to there. (All the good pre- and post- events seem to be in Reno, so I figured getting would be easier by public transportation.)

Another thing I had been thinking of doing is renting from that r.v. rental place mentioned under Burntrepenuers(sp?), but I'm not certain I can afford one their rentals.

Mostly I am just re-discovering the frustrations of actually trying to plan going, as opposed to thinking about attending.

*I am going to have to go back to the AmTrak web-site, since I thought it told me that the California Zephyr DIDN'T go from Chicago to California! As I said, their software and I didn't get along at all.
--Russell Kirsch

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”