Driving from South Texas - RENO or somewhere else

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Flint
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: not yet

Driving from South Texas - RENO or somewhere else

Post by Flint » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:57 am

Good day all! We're going to be driving up from South Texas. Looking at the map I see towns called Fernley, Silver Springs, Fallon all east of Reno., but still south of Gerlach..I was wondering if these cities would be a good choice for over night stays and if the average burner would be able to find food items and purchase water? Also, it appears 447 is the only road leading into Gerlach...are their different approaches? Insight and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Flint

car2roll
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Circus Combustus/Funk Pirates/Nameless

Re: Driving from South Texas - RENO or somewhere else

Post by car2roll » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:33 am

There are a number of places to stop overnight along I-20 and I-40 leading into Reno. Reno will be your launching point once the BRC gate opens. Plan on getting any food or other supplies you need in Reno. Reno is well prepared in the burner supplies area. Arrive one day early in Reno to give you time to shop. Many hotels in Reno offer rooms to burners for $30-$40 per night.
”if it was so, it might be, and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it
ain't. That's logic!"
-- Lewis Carroll, "Through the Looking Glass"

Shaolinskunk
Burning Since: 2013

Post by Shaolinskunk » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:45 am

We come from west texas! It's quite a drive but worth every second

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:46 am

Hwy 447 is it. Do not try to take the dirt road that goes straight west from Winnemucca -- it is reported by many to be almost undrivable, with many sharp rocks that cut tires.
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

Flint

Post by Flint » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:02 pm

Shaolinskunk wrote:We come from west texas! It's quite a drive but worth every second

we were planning 3 days to travel...ending in Reno (now) on the 3rd day...that might be a little ambitious. How long do y'all usually take? :)

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:15 & D

Post by Molotov » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:21 pm

I have made that drive twice with a small RV trailer from NE TX. I usually take 4 days to drive it solo. YMMV-I don't recommend driving at night on unfamiliar roads.
First time was NE TX-El Paso-Vegas-Reno-Black Rock City (BRC) 2002 miles
Second time-NE TX-Amarillo-Albuquerque-Vegas-BRC 1832 miles
Third time-(this year) taking the northern route-NE TX-Denton, TX-OKC-Wichita-Denver-Cheyenne, WY-SLC-Elko, NV-Winnemucca-Fernley-BRC 2075 miles (crashing at relatives houses along the way and not quite as many mountain summits to traverse with the RV-and many roadside parks to overnight for free.)

So, all in all, between the 3 routes there is only 240 miles or so difference. There are only so many ways to get there from Texas. Drive safely and take lots of breaks-it's a long haul. Fuel up and buy ice, food, water, and spirits in Fernley before the final run to the gates of Black Rock City on 447. Trying to stop for supplies in Nixon, Empire, or Gerlach can be problematic due to the limited parking and quickly depleted store stock.

See you in the dust!

rudbyrd
Camp Name: Black Rock Fun Jet

Post by rudbyrd » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:34 pm

I drive from New Braunfels and go to Wickenburg AZ on day one, stay with my nephew, take the next day off, then into Reno, then the playa the next day. Pick up a trailer in AZ to stay in, and take an extra day going home.

Flint

Post by Flint » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:52 pm

I plan on driving up to Austin to pick up my daughter and friend, then leaving early Friday morning from there...thanks for the advice!!!

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:38 pm

We come from south of Houston, start very early in the am, and try to drive to Las Cruces, NM the first day. May or may not work depending on how the trailer is running, etc, but it's a goal! Regardless how you slice it, it's basically a 3-day drive hauling a trailer. I think the smart thing to do is get into Fallon, Fernley, etc, early and just rest for a day, get a good meal and some quality downtime, have your last shower for a week, and then hightail it into BRC via 447 as the gate opens. The Walmart in Fernley is wonderful if you've forgotten something BTW. Get gas in Fernley too, as there isn't much between Fernley and BRC (although Gerlach has fuel, if you don't mind waiting for it. Personally, I'd be afraid they might run out and leave you stranded on the doorstep of BRC!)

On the way home we allow an extra day to compensate for the sheer exhaustion factor. Again, Fernley, Fallon, etc are great layover points so you can get a good dinner, and a LONG SHOWER, and some quality Zzzzz's before launching back on the interstate home.

No matter how you slice it, you're looking at a minimum 2 week trip, plus packing/unpacking time. But you know, it's SO worth it. hehehehe :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:43 pm

And FWIW, I will be negotiating with The Sands Regency in Reno our annual Barbie Death Village hotel deal open to all burners. Can't say right now what they will offer, but it'll be (if history is any guide) cheaper than the posted internet rate as well as the rack rate. Typically around $25 midweek, naturally pricier on weekends/holidays. But a boatload of burners take advantage of it and it's an excellent way to begin and end your adventure to the playa.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:56 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:And FWIW, I will be negotiating with The Sands Regency in Reno our annual Barbie Death Village hotel deal open to all burners. Can't say right now what they will offer, but it'll be (if history is any guide) cheaper than the posted internet rate as well as the rack rate. Typically around $25 midweek, naturally pricier on weekends/holidays. But a boatload of burners take advantage of it and it's an excellent way to kill off any surviving neurons or liver cells prior to entering rehab.
Fixed that for ya. :mrgreen: And thank you Doc for sheparding this maelstrom every year!
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

fernley1
Camp Name: Camp not for Prophets.

Post by fernley1 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:18 pm

Fernley and Fallon have Walmarts and other stores to do last minute shopping. Silver springs has almost nothing. As others have said, fill up on gas in Fernley, 9 gas stations in Fernley.

Shaolinskunk

Post by Shaolinskunk » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:35 am

Flint wrote:
Shaolinskunk wrote:We come from west texas! It's quite a drive but worth every second

we were planning 3 days to travel...ending in Reno (now) on the 3rd day...that might be a little ambitious. How long do y'all usually take? :)
We actually do it all at once! Not the best idea ever but makes it so we miss less work. It's a little under 24 hours from our door to the line. On the way home we stay at the Wynn in Vegas one night to get cleaned up and sleep on an awesome clean mattress

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:44 pm

And speaking of gas...make sure you'll have enough to get you from the venue back to Fernley or wherever your last gas stop was. You'll be burning gas in the line of vehicles going in and coming out.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:05 pm

We come from fredericksburg. Split the drive to fernley into three days. Pick up our uhaul trailer there, empty the storage unit day 4 enter brc day five. The only thing we can't get in fernley is large blocks of dry ice. Walmart has slabs, but no large blocks. Have to go to Reno for that. Already have hotels going in and out booked. Super 8 in fernley is good. Clean and walking distance to restaurants, across the street from Walmart. There is a pizza place on the main drag that is good. Pick up a pizza to have once camp is set up.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”