Limitations of projecting loads / deck (transporting MV)

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
jabadabaduu

Limitations of projecting loads / deck (transporting MV)

Post by jabadabaduu » Sun May 10, 2015 1:03 am

Hi guys!

I built my first MV last year, and was pleasantly surprised when it passed the day and night inspection. However I really need to step up my game this year so it'll pass the inspection again. The base vehicle is a street legal Dodge RAM 250B van, and last year I built a roof deck out of wood and (because of some last minute hassle) it took me solid 3 days to put together in the playa with all of the decorations and then a full day to take down... I'd like to come 'half ready' this time so I'd have more time attending the event.

My question would be what is legal in California and Nevada what comes to hauling stuff on the roof of the van. I don't want to get pulled over on the way. Last year (after I got to the playa) I removed the bumpers, bolted 2X12" lumber back in their place, and built the deck up from there - This year i'll do something similar, but use metal instead. I know I can't legally drive up there without bumpers, but I was thinking if I could build the platform on top of the roof of the van, bolt it in to the roof (I'll also run beams up from the middle of the van for extra support) and leave it up there. ..Then when I get to the playa, all I'd have to do is build/attach the rails, add the support beams from the bumpers, and decorate the beast. This would also leave more room inside the van for other stuff.

So my question is: are roof decks legal to drive with in CA an NV? Are there some considerations? I quickly made a silly illustration what I mean, see the attached image - the base of the roof deck would be as wide and long as the van itself. It would be supported by metal beams which are attached to the frame of the van (one way or the other). It would be great if I could build this part before leaving, and just drive with it. What do you guys think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Limitations of projecting loads / deck (transporting MV)

Post by ygmir » Sun May 10, 2015 7:34 am

you can put a lot of things on, as long as they are secure,and lower than 14'.
I am not a highway patrol, or lawyer, so, do your due diligence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun May 10, 2015 7:36 am

You could drive with that, just don't exceed 8 feet wide. Max height is 14 feet but keeping under 13 is a good idea.
Make sure none of your support posts obstruct your lights; if they do, install DOT-legal trailer tail lights available at an auto parts store on your supports where they aren't obstructed. Same with your license plate.
If your width exceeds 80 inches, you need truck style clearance lights, three in the center and one at each outer edge front and rear and as high as practical, as well as one at each upper outer edge on the sides. The over-80"-wide clearance lights rule is why dual-rear-wheel pickups always have them.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun May 10, 2015 8:19 am

And don't block your mirrors, or you can get extensions.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Sun May 10, 2015 11:25 am

The width limit is 102 inches -- 8 1/2 feet. Mirrors are allowed to protrude beyond this.

mooserider
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

Post by mooserider » Sun May 10, 2015 6:20 pm

Elliot wrote:The width limit is 102 inches -- 8 1/2 feet. Mirrors are allowed to protrude beyond this.
But I wouldn't advise it.Toll plaza lanes can be very narrow for big vehicles. I had a broken mirror replaced once on my bus-chassis motor home, and the mechanics installed it like on a semi-tractor (sticking out sideways). That made the vehicle so wide it wouldn't fit through a toll booth lane. The toll collectors must have been cracking up while I was stuck in the toll lane attempting to swing the mirror back into its pointing-forward-viewed-through-the-windshield correct position without my toolkit. Took me twenty minutes to pay my toll that day. Dumb mechanics.

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen » Mon May 11, 2015 11:46 am

your picture, looks like your canada post van drove into some raver dude.

thnaks, we need a few less ravers.
)'(

jabadabaduu

Post by jabadabaduu » Tue May 12, 2015 9:46 pm

Thanks guys! Yeah, I think I'll just weld the whole thing together back at home, and drive it up there semi assembled. I can easily stay within 8 feet width, and add mirrors and lights just in case.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”