Getting off playa early

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
uncle sticky
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp Settle This Like Men

Getting off playa early

Post by uncle sticky » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:36 am

So, here's another less controversial question. Wife needs to leave Wednesday. Burner express isn't running back to Reno yet. How to get her back? Not comfy with the whole stick out your thumb plan. I'd think that there would be plenty of shuttles running back, mostly empty, but I'm not finding a way to get that info.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Getting off playa early

Post by Ratty » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:37 am

What do you mean by shuttle?
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:42 am

The Burner Express pretty much is the shuttle.

You could fly her back. Or, try the rideshare thread.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:43 am

If someone has a rental car, for $20 reentry fee, they could drive her to the airport. With that as an option, you could always look to see if a camping neighbor is leaving the same time. There are people coming and going all week form the city.

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Post by spacetime » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:23 pm

I don't know much about the BRC airport, but if she doesn't need to pack out a ton of equipment perhaps this is an option.

http://burningman.org/event/volunteering/teams/airport/

I'd figure there are a lot of people on their way in, not so much on the way out at that point?

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:32 pm

Needs to leave on Wednesday, or needs to be in Reno by a specific time on Wednesday?
If it's to get to the airport in time, standard advice is to leave a day early to make sure you make your flight. Too costly to miss.

In past years, advice has included posting your need for a ride at Playa Info.
Running out of time, head to the radio station on-playa and ask if they'll give a shout-out on it. I've even heard one about a woman "... with trailer needs tow to Reno...".
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

uncle sticky
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp Settle This Like Men

Post by uncle sticky » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:09 pm

No specific time, we live in Reno, so that's not a problem. She just needs to be back sometime Weds.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Nipple » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:37 pm

There was a post somewhere on here from a guy named Capt Kirk, who flies to Reno daily from BRC.

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=74451

This one... seems fishy though... Says it's Kirk, but is signed with a picture of Spock. Caveat Emptorprise.

MacGlenver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Post by MacGlenver » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:12 am

Posted this in another Wednesday departure thread, but I figure I should post it here too in case you're interested :)

My very good friend actually has to leave the playa on Wednesday also (ugh!), attempting to get back to SF to fly out for a wedding. I wonder if getting the two of you together could somehow open other options? Perhaps a shared rental car? Not sure where your wife needs to go, but, if not SF, they could carpool to Reno and take buses to final destinations (or one could continue with the car).
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”