The sheriff of Mono, 395?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
ShreddinPB
Burning Since: 2012

The sheriff of Mono, 395?

Post by ShreddinPB » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:30 pm

Hey guys, this is my first year with an RV and I want to take the 395 as I hear the hills are a little more forgiving. I have also read the horror storries of the Sheriff in Mono county. I have also heard that he was replaced due to the fact that burners were boycotting that county. Is there any truth to this? Is that a more, burner safe, route now?

caffeineslinger
Burning Since: 2003

Re: The sheriff of Mono, 395?

Post by caffeineslinger » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:48 pm

As I recall he was replaced by an officer that he fired. It wasn't just burners, apparently he was making things difficult for locals and tourists alike. I say go for it. It's a great drive and a more reasonable sheriffs department now.

ShreddinPB

Post by ShreddinPB » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:46 pm

caffeineslinger wrote:As I recall he was replaced by an officer that he fired. It wasn't just burners, apparently he was making things difficult for locals and tourists alike. I say go for it. It's a great drive and a more reasonable sheriffs department now.
Last year coming back thru the 80 in a SUV with a Uhaul was scary coming down that hill with so much wind.. dont want to attempt that in a giant RV

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:57 pm

It's a fun drive.

Take your time, enjoy the towns along the way.

Drive under the speed limit in and near all towns.

You will be fine.

ShreddinPB

Post by ShreddinPB » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:49 am

In a car I have that problem, in the RV, the speed limit is no issue. I already told all people that we will be going slow ;)

MikeGyver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by MikeGyver » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:40 am

I drive 395 every year I go. No recollection of the town names, but I got pulled over for a "Flickering 3rd brake light" in one town a bit before Nevada. Nothing came out of it was a BS stop so he could take a look inside when I rolled the window down.

Don't have anything illegal in view and you wont have an issue even if you get pulled over for something dumb. Be nice and respectful and enjoy the awesome scenery.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Mon May 23, 2016 11:26 am

MikeGyver wrote:I drive 395 every year I go. No recollection of the town names, but I got pulled over for a "Flickering 3rd brake light" in one town a bit before Nevada. Nothing came out of it was a BS stop so he could take a look inside when I rolled the window down.

Don't have anything illegal in view and you wont have an issue even if you get pulled over for something dumb. Be nice and respectful and enjoy the awesome scenery.
Indeed. They're serious about some stuff, but then they're fine once you're in the clear. I got stopped at the ag inspection station and didn't have firewood, the HP officer there told me to have a great day and waved me on through.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Post by ranger magnum » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:06 pm

If you are coming from the south (La), and you are worried about grades, take hwy 6 out of bishop. Less to see, but easier on the rig.
Praise the Lowered

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:42 pm

Just to elaborate to ranger magnum suggestion:
Take US 6 out of Bishop. Shortly after crossing into Nevada, you'll reach Montgomery Pass, the highest elevation you'll have for the rest of your trip of just over 7100'
About 5 miles after cresting the summit, Nevada SR 360 bears left. Take 360 til it ends at US 95. About 20 miles.
Turn left (north) on 95 toward Hawthorne
Go through Hawthorne, past Walker lake til you get to US 95A just before the town of Schurz.
Go left (north) on 95A toward Yerrington.
Stay on 95A through Yerrington until the highway makes a right at a flashing red light. There'll be a gas station/convience store on your right at that intersection.
Turn right to stay on 95A north toward Silver Spring and Fernley.
At the light in Fernley, turn left and go through Fernley. The street makes a hard right and you'll go under the UPRR underpass, go past the Pilot truck stop on your left, under I80 and past the new Loves truck stop also on your left and a big cement plant on your right. This takes you to Wadsworth and when you get to SR 447, turn right and the playa is about 90mins ahead of you.
Going this route avoids the congestion of Gardnerville, Carson City and Reno. It's all desert which IMHO has a beauty all it's own.
The Loves truck stop in Fernley used to be burner friendly, I don't know if it still is.
Go a mile or two under the posted speeds through towns and you should be just fine.
Have a great time and drive safe which ever route you take. :D :coffee:
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”