LA - Reno transport? + cheap stay Reno 26-30 Aug + Playabike

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Post Reply
User avatar
Alexztheman
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:51 am
Burning Since: 2014
Location: Sweden

LA - Reno transport? + cheap stay Reno 26-30 Aug + Playabike

Post by Alexztheman » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:10 am

Hi all,

So I hope you can help me with some tips on some questions I can't figure out a good solution for.

First timer from Sweden so this is the plan (which I hope to get better tips from you guys to change/better the plan)

Flying to LAX on tue 25th in the afternoon. 'No-changeable'

Looked online for transport to Reno, found Greyhound for like 70$ leaving LA at 2:00 AM on the 26th, arriving Reno 4 PM. An evening in LA seems nice:-)
Then I have 3 full days in Reno to stack up before departure to Black Rock City. I will bring all my "survivalstuff" with me from sweden since I am allowed extra baggage on the flight, so the things I'm buying in US is customes, bike and food/water.
Greyhound seems very cheap since it's a long way LA-Reno and probably the best way?
Anyone know any better way?
Or is it better to get cool costumes and stuff in LA and go on the 27th to Reno?

Or is there anyone out there who will travel from LA to Reno and need someone to chip in for gas and telling bad aneqdotes? :wink:

Arriving in Reno.
I can't seem to find a cheap hostel or some sort of accomodation for a "backpacker-budget". I obviously want to cut the expences on these things as travel and staying to have more cash to spend on food/bike/customs and preparation for BM. I'm out on a loooong trip after BM aswell so every cheap hostel and bus is another day on the road 8)

I am also looking for a BM-bike in Reno, any ideas or one for sale? 8) Please PM me or mail alexrtw@hotmail.com

Leaving Reno with Burner Express on the 30th :D :D :D

Hopefully I'll get some ideas from you :D

/alex
I just want to be, that's all ;-)

User avatar
dragonpilot
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 12:53 pm
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: LA - Reno transport? + cheap stay Reno 26-30 Aug + Playa

Post by dragonpilot » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:27 pm

Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14699
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: LA - Reno transport? + cheap stay Reno 26-30 Aug + Playa

Post by Elderberry » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:09 pm

I wouldn't advise you to take the Greyhound Bus. You won't like the people you are traveling with--AT ALL. And, the stations are not in the best part of most towns.

I have the misfortune of taking the Greyhound from Los Angeles to Las Vegas several years ago and it was not pleasant nor safe, especially if you are a naive tourist. I ran into a European tourist in Las Vegas that had just gotten beaten up and robbed after getting off the Greyhound.

Additionally, prisons use them for trusted prisoners to move them from one prison to another--they give them their ticket, put them on the bus, and they are on their own getting to their new prison.

DO NOT DO IT.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
Alexztheman
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:51 am
Burning Since: 2014
Location: Sweden

Re: LA - Reno transport? + cheap stay Reno 26-30 Aug + Playa

Post by Alexztheman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:39 pm

Cool!

Couchsurfing seems like a cool community, joining:-)

Thank Dragonpilot 8)
I just want to be, that's all ;-)

User avatar
Alexztheman
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:51 am
Burning Since: 2014
Location: Sweden

Re: LA - Reno transport? + cheap stay Reno 26-30 Aug + Playa

Post by Alexztheman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:46 pm

Elderberry wrote:I wouldn't advise you to take the Greyhound Bus. You won't like the people you are traveling with--AT ALL. And, the stations are not in the best part of most towns.

I have the misfortune of taking the Greyhound from Los Angeles to Las Vegas several years ago and it was not pleasant nor safe, especially if you are a naive tourist. I ran into a European tourist in Las Vegas that had just gotten beaten up and robbed after getting off the Greyhound.

Additionally, prisons use them for trusted prisoners to move them from one prison to another--they give them their ticket, put them on the bus, and they are on their own getting to their new prison.

DO NOT DO IT.
I get what you mean, still think I'm going to give it a go if I won't find another good option, life's a risk :?

I am staying in LA for a night and will ask around at the youth hostel and ask people to try find some better way, even though I'm a pretty big guy with lot's of travel in my backpack there is still no arguing with a knife, gun or madman, so thanks for the advice Elderberry :D
I just want to be, that's all ;-)

User avatar
lucky420
Posts: 8731
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:47 am
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity
Location: Reno, NV

Re: LA - Reno transport? + cheap stay Reno 26-30 Aug + Playa

Post by lucky420 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:25 pm

See if the Sands in Reno still has rooms. It's downtown and close to the Greyhound bus depot. If the Sands is full check out the other casinos sometimes rooms are pretty cheap
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

User avatar
lucky420
Posts: 8731
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:47 am
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity
Location: Reno, NV

Re: LA - Reno transport? + cheap stay Reno 26-30 Aug + Playa

Post by lucky420 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:26 pm

lucky420 wrote:See if the Sands in Reno still has rooms. It's downtown and close to the Greyhound bus depot. If the Sands is full check out the other casinos sometimes rooms are pretty cheap

Also try the Morris Burner Hotel and see if they still have room
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

User avatar
danibel
Posts: 925
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:50 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Location: Ben Lomond, CA

Re: LA - Reno transport? + cheap stay Reno 26-30 Aug + Playa

Post by danibel » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:46 pm

Circus Circus had cheap rooms the last I checked.

There are a lot of burners coming up from LA, not sure about your dates though. Are you on the rideshare board?

I used to take greyhound buses a lot and though the LA station was a bit scary, I had no troubles. Isn't there an Amtrak train or something?
In dust we trust.

User avatar
Alexztheman
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:51 am
Burning Since: 2014
Location: Sweden

Re: LA - Reno transport? + cheap stay Reno 26-30 Aug + Playa

Post by Alexztheman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:12 pm

Thanks for the tips Danibel and lucky420, I'll check them right away.
I just want to be, that's all ;-)

User avatar
Alexztheman
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:51 am
Burning Since: 2014
Location: Sweden

Re: LA - Reno transport? + cheap stay Reno 26-30 Aug + Playa

Post by Alexztheman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:15 pm

danibel wrote:Circus Circus had cheap rooms the last I checked.

There are a lot of burners coming up from LA, not sure about your dates though. Are you on the rideshare board?

I used to take greyhound buses a lot and though the LA station was a bit scary, I had no troubles. Isn't there an Amtrak train or something?

Thanks, I'll get right on it:-)

:D :D
I just want to be, that's all ;-)

User avatar
hug+kiss
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:54 am
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge
Location: Los Angeles

Re: LA - Reno transport? + cheap stay Reno 26-30 Aug + Playa

Post by hug+kiss » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:20 pm

Just checked out Amtrak. Wow, our train system is shitty. Now I get why the want to build that track from LA to San Fran. No strait shot and half of the trip is on a bus. Looks like Grey Hound is your best shot if you don't find a ride with someone else.

User avatar
Alexztheman
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:51 am
Burning Since: 2014
Location: Sweden

Re: LA - Reno transport? + cheap stay Reno 26-30 Aug + Playa

Post by Alexztheman » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:49 pm

hug+kiss wrote:Just checked out Amtrak. Wow, our train system is shitty. Now I get why the want to build that track from LA to San Fran. No strait shot and half of the trip is on a bus. Looks like Grey Hound is your best shot if you don't find a ride with someone else.
Yeah I checked them out as well, so now I'm checking for rideshare but it seems like rideshare.burningman.org doesn't load for me, but found the 2015 share resources, guess thats the page danibel meant. Posting a wish there.

Thanks hug+kiss :D
I just want to be, that's all ;-)

User avatar
Alexztheman
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:51 am
Burning Since: 2014
Location: Sweden

Re: LA - Reno transport? + cheap stay Reno 26-30 Aug + Playa

Post by Alexztheman » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:25 pm

Thanks to the tip on stays in Reno, I now have booking at Sands :D :D :D
I just want to be, that's all ;-)

User avatar
lucky420
Posts: 8731
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:47 am
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity
Location: Reno, NV

Re: LA - Reno transport? + cheap stay Reno 26-30 Aug + Playa

Post by lucky420 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee

and you'll meet lots of burners there too!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Post Reply

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”