Flying And the Burner Express

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
DoubleOh
Burning Since: 2015

Flying And the Burner Express

Post by DoubleOh » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:13 am

So after all 3 of my traveling companions to the burn have dropped out, I'm thinking next year I plan on flying to one of the burner express locations and traveling in this way, as opposed to driving solo for 27 hours. I understand the burner express part, but I have questions on the logistics of the self reliance part.

Which airline lets the most gear go through? small tent, ice chest, backpack, camera bag, etc
Easiest way to stock up on supplies between airport and the burning express? Food, ice, beer, water, etc
How to get rid of the moop before boarding the airplane back?

FIGJAM

Re: Flying And the Burner Express

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:15 am

The train let's you bring more of "All the things".
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

DoubleOh
Burning Since: 2015

Post by DoubleOh » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:35 am

Sadly the closest amtrak train station to me is about 3 hours away.

Also, just a quick check... a train would take roughly 52 hours to go from Oklahoma city to San Francisco, after the 3 hour drive to get to the station.

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Post by spacetime » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:40 am

I think this question is best left for after the burn. This is the 3rd year of BxB and there should be a lot more testimony about the experience (particularly people flying in).

You may want to seek out their camp placement at 6:15 and i or thereabouts and ask people there.

Hope-a-Lope
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Decadent Oasis

Post by Hope-a-Lope » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:52 pm

DoubleOh, the Burner Express website offers tickets that include a 1-hr shopping trip. They also have a certain luggage allowance (and you can purchase a bike spot for extra). Plane+bus=less room for everything, every time. You can also look into burner-organized shipping containers. You buy cubic feet, package your stuff, and it's taken to the playa. Many people on the east coast send shelter, clothing, etc. this way. I don't know your region at all, but it's worth looking into.

Good luck!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:11 am

It is worth pointing out that Burner Express has closed for bookings for the 2015 event.

NikkiG
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Ritual of Victory

Post by NikkiG » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:40 pm

I just received a voicemail message from Reno Airport stating that the bike return corral will be available for those flying in and out. It will be located at the south end of the airport. The donated bikes will be used for local children in need of a bike.
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”