Electric LED Surfboards?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Re: Electric LED Surfboards?

Post by spacetime » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:26 pm

Ratty wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:49 am
Sparr, Thank you for clarifiying that. I don't care what reddit does or doesn't do. I don't go there. I do care about misinformation. The Reddit page you posted isn't factual. Unless you have contacted BM and have more info than those 2 links, there is nothing there to substantiate banning them. Whoever posted that on Reddit should have done their homework before spreading rumors.
Har-har, ratty that was me! Dropping mad facts. Wrote directly w DMV to establish content in that reddit thread.

Dirkadirka
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Dirkadirka » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:17 pm

The DMV did not recently ban the motorized surfboards. They have not been allowed since the early 2000’s when they imposed the mutant vehicle license rule for motorized vehicles.

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:09 am

What is a rule if so obviously unenforced?

Dirkadirka
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Dirkadirka » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:21 am

spacetime wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:09 am
What is a rule if so obviously unenforced?
Simply that, a rule not being enforced. That can be for a variety of reasons and just because the rule was unenforced doesn’t mean the surfboards were welcome. Saying that they “aren’t allowed anymore” or “banned” relative to this year is a bit of a stretch. Those statements are true, but they have been for something like 15 years.

That being said, I do think they are cool and hope the creators of these things can find away to be approved and licensed with the dmv.

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:51 pm

The new rules are the result of an extensive process that intended to be explicit in what personal vehicles are allowed and not. Electric skateboards are banned, and not in the way they were last year. At least as far as I understand it from my convo w dmv.

I do think it was a mistake to leave them off the list but somehow include hoverboards. And people have questioned whether this will actually be enforced in any way.

FWIW, guys on these boards rolled into our camp bar last year and were not super cool dudes. So I won't be missing them a lot.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:05 pm

PnP patrons no doubt, lemme guess all wearing the same knee length white fur coats that look like they just left the dry cleaners?
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:07 am

Wow Spacetime thank you for doing that. Boy was I wrong! You never disappoint. I'm glad you found out before you built one. Now get back to work on thatart project.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”