Playa Bike Locks (Is there a better solution?)

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Playa Bike Locks (Is there a better solution?)

Post by ygmir » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:11 am

where is Gyre when we need him?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

smiffman
Burning Since: 2014

Post by smiffman » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:13 am

Last year we used a lock similar to what Meat Hunter is referring to but instead of numbers it was a word or letters. We still had a bike get jacked too. One year we had a 6ft cable wire that would rival Pee Wee's chain...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:16 pm

The better solution is to have explosive bolts on the frame that spontaneously deconstruct the bike when outside a certain range.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

mcgyver2k
Burning Since: 2014

Post by mcgyver2k » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:09 am

Use a quick release axle on the fron wheel and take it with you when you leave the Bike.

Im thinking about modifying a U lock with magnets. That would look like its the safest lock on the playa and is "locked" in seconds.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:41 am

That's a good idea with the U-lock. It could be strong enough to even stand a grab test, but avoid the annoyance of fiddling with a key or combo. Even just having a push-button unlock could work.

Too bad the U-locks are like $20 for something that isn't a total piece of shit.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Blue_Bike
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: As of 2017, Rootpile Bluegrass Camp

Post by Blue_Bike » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:14 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:Well, this will be of no help to you, but I usually just wrap the cable thru a wheel without even opening the lock, making the cable visible. And the lock has a combo, but I marked the combo numbers with a sharpie. The people taking bikes are too drunk to figure any of that out. I figure that 99.9% of bike thefts are drunk people far from where ever they want to go, maybe after loosing their own bike. They aren't hunting out fancy bikes, figuring out how to remove locks, or whatever, just looking for a convenient bike they can sit on and roll away on without hassle. I've talked to these people out in deep playa, their eyes darting around, explaining how they need to get back to camp. Any sign of cable or lock and their eyes dart along to the next bike. I seriously doubt many locks or cables are cut or that anyone picks up a locked bike to walk it somewhere. But then there are always acceptations...
Mine grew legs and walked off last year during a dust storm when I stopped for 5 minutes to get a closer look at the Man. It was my first playa ride the morning of my first day there. I went back to find that it had not only grown legs and walked off, but it must have grown arms too as it apparently completely destroyed the bike rack it was securely locked to in order to liberate itself.

When I got back to my bus at 4:45 & L and relayed the story to some kind neighbors I had just met, they were so impressed with my generous "gifting" spirit that they loaned me one of their bikes for the rest of the week! (Thanks Mamma and Daddy Dog!) Lost my Burginity quickly last year.

I've since purchased another one, used as was the one last year. But I am seriously considering turning it into a trike for this year. They seem so practical and at the same time full of possibility for creative mods. Either way I will look for something more substantial to lock my bike to than the standard 2x4 and EMT conduit bike racks. I am so looking forward to meeting more incredible people on the playa again this year, and will be back burning in style with a huge felonious grin on my face! 8)

BTW, I believe the folks that made off with my bike took it back to their camp using their bikes, as it would have still not been ride-able after destroying the bike rack to get it. The lock was a heavy duty cable that passed through both wheels and the frame, as well as the rack. The dust storm provided good cover for them.
Fearlessly be Honest.
Honestly be Kind.
Tirelessly be Passionate.
Passionately be Creative.
Openly be Joyful.
Mindfully be the Person You Want to Be.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:48 am

Dayyum, what kind of bike was it that would warrant that level of effort?

I also wonder if you had some sort of tracking device, if you could've gotten some LEOs to come with you and bust those bike thieves, as that went well beyond the regular dirty-hippie-stealing-a-bike level.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:08 am

Bbadger, I was wondering that same thing. Most bike thieves just need a bike to ride immediately. I can't imagine anyone transporting a bike from the man. Besides, if they had bolt cutters the bike would be unharmed. Maybe they just trashed the bike rack for fun.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Blue_Bike
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: As of 2017, Rootpile Bluegrass Camp

Post by Blue_Bike » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:20 pm

BBadger wrote:Dayyum, what kind of bike was it that would warrant that level of effort?

I also wonder if you had some sort of tracking device, if you could've gotten some LEOs to come with you and bust those bike thieves, as that went well beyond the regular dirty-hippie-stealing-a-bike level.
It was a 1999 Schwinn S-20 Carbon that I paid $250 for on Craigslist. It was a moderately expensive bike in its day but was 16 years old and showing the signs of a hard life as a Mtn bike. I thought about getting some sort of tracking device...after the burn. Anything that would be dependable out there would likely cost me as much as I paid for the bike. I have since replaced it with another one, same model. This one cost a bit more, but I love the relatively light weight and full suspension...easy on my well-used bones.

I did run into a couple of BRC Rangers the next day and told them about the missing bike and asked if anyone tracked these kinds of things there, but they told me no. I guess at the time I didn't realize that the local LEOs had a substation set up not far from Center Camp. Not sure if I would have looked them up anyway as I normally don't voluntarily engage with them so much (no disrespect for the LEO community in general, as they exist to keep us safe, but you never know...) and my state of mind and appearance might have been "suspicious" (whatever that means).

Ratty, I guess busting up the rack could have been fun, I admit that demolition is generally a blast (so to speak), but wouldn't burning it have been way more fun than that and more appropriate considering the location?

Anyway, this year I will "ugly" up my bike with a can of black spray paint before dolling it up in some artful and well-lighted way for the playa. Then maybe I will get to keep it for the week. Looking forward to getting back out there and meeting with a grin whatever greets me and whomever meets me there!
Fearlessly be Honest.
Honestly be Kind.
Tirelessly be Passionate.
Passionately be Creative.
Openly be Joyful.
Mindfully be the Person You Want to Be.

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:06 pm

This thread is hilarious!! :lol:

Handle bar shockers, Tesla coils, battery drills and lag bolts, blue tooth-audrino kits. I like how you people think!! :P

Still deciding which way I want to go..... :coffee:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:08 pm

eldergeekaz wrote:This thread is hilarious!! :lol:

Handle bar shockers, Tesla coils, battery drills and lag bolts, blue tooth-audrino kits. I like how you people think!! :P

Still deciding which way I want to go..... :coffee:
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot do you mean "you people"!?

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:14 pm

Sorry, :oops: I was referring to the tinkerers, builders, idea people posting in this thread.
And the fact I am not a true burner yet. So I am not officially one of 'you people'....... yet! :D

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:50 pm

eldergeekaz wrote:This thread is hilarious!! :lol:

... .... :coffee:
(Oh, good. He hasn't found the other thread on this topic.)

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:20 pm

I stumble across it one day..... :wink:

funkill

Post by funkill » Tue May 17, 2016 8:19 pm

I sketched out several ideas for locking my bike... some better than others... tho maybe not much better....

One idea was a rigid device that would attach between a pedal/crank and the frame to prevent the crankset from rotating... pretty much like The Club Pedal-to-Wheel lock used in a car. Wonder if it would work:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/34109609?wmls ... 32&veh=sem

Another idea was to attach a cable from one grip end of the handlebar and, with the front wheel at a 45deg angle, padlock the other end of the cable to the frame/seat tube.

The other ideas are not much better - just looking for a quick and easy way to secure my "less than desirable" bike.... What do you think - either worth pursuing? I don't know if the lock on The Club would hold up to the dusty environment....

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Tue May 17, 2016 9:54 pm

From what I have read the 'Ideal' lock is one that:
  • Is easy to lock and unlock. Ie: minimal effort for when the mind is not working at normal speed.
    Does not require a key that can get lost or misplaced.
    Is somewhat resistant to dust and jamming
    Cheap
Assuming one is not riding a $1500 mountain bike, we are only keeping someone from 'borrowing' the beater bike while one is away from it.

If its locked by itself, could someone pick it up and carry it off? Sure, but for how far before people start looking at them wondering what the hell is going on. And how far does one want to 'carry' a bike? I'm guessing not that far.

Instead of the club, how about a set of hand cuffs from pedal to frame? Still have a key though.
The other ideas are not much beter than using a basic bike lock and more cumbersome. IMHO. 8)

But if one is serious about locking it. A battery impact, 14" lag bolt, & a beefy chain/cable looped through the frame should do it. :wink:

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Tue May 17, 2016 10:13 pm

eldergeekaz wrote: But if one is serious about locking it. A battery impact, 14" lag bolt, & a beefy chain/cable looped through the frame should do it. :wink:
When I suggested the lag screw lock, it was as a joke. But this is actually a great idea for a camp bike rack, where the focus is security more than balancing bikes upright. Take a bunch of 10-foot chains and blast a lag bolt down into the playa through both ends. Now you have a bunch of loose chain loops that can be dragged around and hooked through cable locks, U-locks, whatever.

I dub it the Sunflower Chain Rack.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Tue May 17, 2016 10:27 pm

maladroit wrote: Take a bunch of 10-foot chains and blast a lag bolt down into the playa through both ends. Now you have a bunch of loose chain loops that can be dragged around and hooked through cable locks, U-locks, whatever.
My camp mates did this for the last burn, only difference was that the long chain was padlocked through the RV wheel spokes. It left a nice heavy chain laying around that anyone in camp could splice into in order to secure bikes or whatever.

I found it to be unbelievably simple, yet rather clever...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Wed May 18, 2016 11:16 am

When I suggested the lag screw lock, it was as a joke.
So was mine. :twisted: Would need to carry everything in the backpack....

Great bike rack idea though!!!!

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”