Preparing for 2016--Burner Express/Logistic Questions

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
s_ting
Burning Since: 2016

Preparing for 2016--Burner Express/Logistic Questions

Post by s_ting » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:12 am

Hi everyone,

I am planning for my first burn in 2016 and am trying to work through the logistical details in preparation. I've been doing a ton of reading but wanted to get direct input from people who have traveled in a similar method. My boyfriend and I are coming from Boston and plan on flying to Reno with all the stuff we need and taking the Burner Express to BRC. I really want us to go minimal, and based on all the reading I've done on eplaya it seems doable to fly everything over (This thread and this thread have been extremely helpful to me, as well as a lot of spacetime's posts). I realize that the local shipping container here is an option, but don't want to ship our tent and it doesn't make too much economic sense to ship a portion of our stuff and not the other. We also realize that renting a car in Reno is an option, but we would prefer not to do so.

So far I have three checked bags planned between the two of us:
1) large suitcase or duffel bag for the canvas portion of our Kodiak tent, our ground tarp, and whatever else can be stuffed in there to not exceed 50lb
2) a speaker bag for our tent poles, military stakes, air mattress pads, and sleeping bags
3) a 52-quart xtreme cooler that can fit the remainder of our stuff

We'll both have backpacks, I'll have an additional military crossbody bag to stuff as well, and I'll be wearing the majority of my heavy clothing to maximize the space we have in our checked bags. I haven't actually gone through the motions of packing or acquiring everything I need yet, but in my mind I'm (maybe naively) convinced that this can fit everything.

The reason for three pieces of checked luggage, is so that we have a fourth piece of luggage available on the BXB for two pallets of gallon jug waters when we stop at SaveMart towards our luggage allowance--does that work? I know water needs to be part of our luggage allotment, so I'm assuming I can just say we have four pieces and one piece is the water we end up buying. I was also hoping to repack what we put in the cooler so that when we could get ice at SaveMart and put it in ziploc'ed bags in our cooler, along with some fresh food. We're planning on living off cup noodles and freeze-dried food but I think it'd be nice to have some fresh food available if we want it (nothing crazy, maybe some fruit or some bread). Is that completely stupid? Should I just opt for buying ice at Arctica when I get to the playa and say f-it to the fresh food? To be honest my boyfriend considers fresh food a luxury we don't need, but I thought having ice before getting to the playa would be nice. My main concern here is that with the cooler checked as luggage on the BXB, it will be impossible to dig around and find it during the shopping stop so that we can load it. Any insight anyone has on this would be great!

As of now, I'm not planning on having any additional time in Reno. It'll be airport and straight on the BXB with the shopping stop. I was hoping to rent bikes from Playa Bike Repair to pick up at the playa when we get there. We would really like to join a theme camp, and may have an option of joining one (friend of a friend) but I don't want to rely too heavily on it in case it doesn't work out. It also seems a bit early to keep pestering my friend to ask and confirm if we can join the camp or not. We are planning on meeting 4 other burgin friends (two driving from SF, two driving from LA), so any potential shade structure could be brought in their cars. I just don't want to rely on my friends bringing us anything in case timing of arrival between our three groups doesn't work out. We also plan on arriving Wednesday and leaving Monday, so we unfortunately won't be there for the full duration.

Sorry, that was a really long-winded post! Just excited and anxious to finally talk logistics with people who have the experience and can offer some insight on our travel plans.

Thanks so much in advance!

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Re: Preparing for 2016--Burner Express/Logistic Questions

Post by unjonharley » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:53 am

Doing good.. Now for the tickets..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

s_ting

Post by s_ting » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:57 am

unjonharley wrote:Doing good.. Now for the tickets..
Hah, I definitely am way too confident in our ability to get tickets. I saw a lot floating around last second this year, so I think I'm comfortable booking flights even if I don't get tickets during the individual sale. I fully intend on going next year for a number of different reasons, so hopefully the universe provides!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:41 am

Welcome to ePlaya! For your first year, you might simplify further by not bringing a cooler or stove. I have been able to eat no cook, no ice easily. Your GF may not believe it, and that is something to consider, but maybe try a weekend camping trip at home and find foods you and she crave that are simple and nonperishable. I am also a fan of all duffel bag travel, rather than hard suitcases if that gives you flexibility. Good for starting planning early and meet your regional - they will have plenty of specific to you experience - http://regionals.burningman.org/regionals/.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

s_ting

Post by s_ting » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:00 am

some seeing eye wrote:Welcome to ePlaya! For your first year, you might simplify further by not bringing a cooler or stove. I have been able to eat no cook, no ice easily. Your GF may not believe it, and that is something to consider, but maybe try a weekend camping trip at home and find foods you and she crave that are simple and nonperishable. I am also a fan of all duffel bag travel, rather than hard suitcases if that gives you flexibility. Good for starting planning early and meet your regional - they will have plenty of specific to you experience - http://regionals.burningman.org/regionals/.
Thanks for the welcome! I'm the GF, but I am the one in hopes of some fresh food (:

I'm glad you say you prefer duffel bags! I was looking at purchasing this as our bag #1 mentioned in the initial post. 62" and hopefully we'll be able to cram a bunch in there.

We were planning on bringing a small stove just for boiling hot water (this). We figured hot water would be all we need for any freeze-fried foods and shin ramen. We'll get the propane at SaveMart, and have our friends bring some for us in case SaveMart runs out. My BF did say he'd be okay living off jerky for 5 days, which I wouldn't mind too much either... This definitely makes me feel more comfortable with skipping the ice at SaveMart then, and just buying at Arctica, though. To be honest I was staring at our 52-quart cooler yesterday wondering what the hell I was going to be using it for since we aren't actually planning on bringing any luxurious meals or anything. We just wanted some cold red bulls and beers versus warm/hot, hah.

I've joined all the regional lists for Boston--definitely looking forward to meeting people at the decompression event coming up in November. I know a lot utilize the shipping container here, which my boyfriend is very much for doing, but I just don't want to worry about not having all our stuff when we get arrive, particularly as we're planning on arriving in the middle of the week.

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:34 am

I would not recommend bringing on the plane that you can readily buy in Reno. Fuel for that small burner and water can all be bought once you land. What I tend to do is go to stores local to me (also Boston) and make lists of things I would need. Once you hit Reno, punch that list out.

s_ting

Post by s_ting » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:43 am

Sham wrote:I would not recommend bringing on the plane that you can readily buy in Reno. Fuel for that small burner and water can all be bought once you land. What I tend to do is go to stores local to me (also Boston) and make lists of things I would need. Once you hit Reno, punch that list out.
I will definitely be swinging by Star Market to pull together a food list (: The water / fresh food / propane I plan on buying will all be bought at the SaveMart during the Burner Express shopping stop. That's the only shopping stop we plan on making though, so no other time in Reno for other purchases. I was more or less questioning whether the logistical struggle of trying to dig my cooler out of the bus luggage area in an attempt to fill it with ice was worth it during the shopping stop, but it sounds like we'd be better off just buying ice at Arctica when / if we find that we need ice.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:49 am

the universe provides!

no, it does not.

it's Radical Self Reliance, not Radical Universe Manifest, so stay on top of all ticket info do not wait until the last minute...be ready to pull the trigger each time the opportunity comes to buy tickets.

last year, i did exactly what you are describing, flying in from east coast, burner xpress to the playa. it was great. the system works. I like the service a lot....it's friendly, efficient and a great intro to the culture....and you get to meet new friends.

my suggestion is to ask your airlines about luggage size, weight etc etc....i saw a lot of unhappy campers being charged 100$ or more EACH WAY for oversized and or overweight.

on top of the baggage fees, of course.

take advantage of the shopping bus to get all of the stuff you do not want to carry and is readily available in Reno.

pack light....seriously....i've been going for 20 years, and i've been trying to get it down to as small as possible....you do not use 1/2 the shit you bring, if not more....pare it down.....pare it down some more....form follows function, you are survival camping, don't worry about fabulous costumes, you will make them when you get there.

bring only WHAT YOU NEED...and think real hard about that too...

also remember that you have to pack all of your shit out....the burner express provides you with one garbage and one recycle bag if im not mistaken...USE THEM.

one more thing,

it's your first year, just worry about not dying.

and have fun, of course.
Frida Be You & Me

s_ting

Post by s_ting » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:00 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:no, it does not.

it's Radical Self Reliance, not Radical Universe Manifest, so stay on top of all ticket info do not wait until the last minute...be ready to pull the trigger each time the opportunity comes to buy tickets.

last year, i did exactly what you are describing, flying in from east coast, burner xpress to the playa. it was great. the system works. I like the service a lot....it's friendly, efficient and a great intro to the culture....and you get to meet new friends.

my suggestion is to ask your airlines about luggage size, weight etc etc....i saw a lot of unhappy campers being charged 100$ or more EACH WAY for oversized and or overweight.

on top of the baggage fees, of course.

take advantage of the shopping bus to get all of the stuff you do not want to carry and is readily available in Reno.

pack light....seriously....i've been going for 20 years, and i've been trying to get it down to as small as possible....you do not use 1/2 the shit you bring, if not more....pare it down.....pare it down some more....form follows function, you are survival camping, don't worry about fabulous costumes, you will make them when you get there.

bring only WHAT YOU NEED...and think real hard about that too...

also remember that you have to pack all of your shit out....the burner express provides you with one garbage and one recycle bag if im not mistaken...USE THEM.

one more thing,

it's your first year, just worry about not dying.

and have fun, of course.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This was incredibly humbling to read. I am borderline obsessive with planning and am so determined to finally make this happen--I will definitely be on top of any ticket opportunity that arises.

All of what you said will be 110% kept in mind. I have so much more I could say but don't know how to properly word it all, but thank you so much for this.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:16 pm

I am borderline obsessive with planning
so it would seem....

which is fine, we all have our own demons/angels..

just know that shit will happen along the way, its the unplanned stuff that will either test or delight you..

maybe both.
Frida Be You & Me

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:54 pm

I'll second what Simon said and add the suggestion that you spend a night or two in Reno pre burn. Why? because coming from Boston you will not be acclimated to the heat and be jet lagged. A day or two to get your system back to normal will only add to your enjoyment of BRC. Also, Keystone will be filled, no packed, with smiling Burners and since you have never been to that store things will be hard to find. Allow 15-20 minutes for the checkout line. You have an hour to shop and everyone is usually back on the bus no more than 10-15 minutes late.

BTW there is a fairly decent liquor store near where the bus parks in Reno. :wink:
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:19 pm

Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Post by spacetime » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:09 pm

Glad to see this level of obsession. Keep it up you will do fine. And thanks for the nod.

Fresh food in your situation is a luxury. Best I could do was keep a container of Hummus cold until Ratty spelled me with a cooler on playa.

You will be happy to have cold beer and redbulls. If you can make a cooler work, great, absolutely wait and cool once Arctica opens.

My experience was that gas stove was absolutely the best for eggs. Sounds crazy but we managed to do some legit breakfasts with eggs out there. Sounds crazy getting all your crap in and unbroken eggs, but I'm like mama from Pink Flamingos about eggs at Burning Man after this year.

If possible, it would be great to have your folks in the car bring in a monkey hut for you guys. As per your hope of being self reliant consider the kelty shade I've discussed previously.

I doubled down on the kelty tarp this year and set up both the 12' and 16' for two with mixed results. Waiting a bit to post about my minimalist 2-person setup this year, but tl;dr is that it the 16' requires far more skill (particularly in hard conditions) than the 12'.

On tickets absolutely go hard on each ticket sale. However, do not let failure in any of them stop the preparation. I too saw that for people ready to go there were tickets available this year. ymmv, but I believe your plan to prepare regardless of individual sale results is on the money.

Probably the biggest factor in this risky and highly rewarding venture toward winning BM 2016 is your willingness to relentlessly prepare early and connect ask for feedback along the way.

s_ting

Post by s_ting » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:18 am

Wow, thank you all for the additional tips and feedback!
Simon of the Playa wrote:so it would seem....

which is fine, we all have our own demons/angels..

just know that shit will happen along the way, its the unplanned stuff that will either test or delight you..

maybe both.
It's something I need to work on--I have a hard time just letting things "be" and sometimes it stops me from being as flexible as I could be. I literally have spreadsheets laid out right now of what we're packing in each bag, how much the weights of the items sum up to, what else we need to buy, clothes for each day, etc. Something (probably a lot of things) is bound to not fall according to my plans!
Ulisse wrote:I'll second what Simon said and add the suggestion that you spend a night or two in Reno pre burn. Why? because coming from Boston you will not be acclimated to the heat and be jet lagged. A day or two to get your system back to normal will only add to your enjoyment of BRC. Also, Keystone will be filled, no packed, with smiling Burners and since you have never been to that store things will be hard to find. Allow 15-20 minutes for the checkout line. You have an hour to shop and everyone is usually back on the bus no more than 10-15 minutes late.

BTW there is a fairly decent liquor store near where the bus parks in Reno. :wink:
I'm not sure I can swing spending additional time in Reno (to be honest if I'm there earlier I'll just want to get to BRC earlier), but I will definitely consider it when the dates come closer. Perhaps my schedule in a year will even allow me to go for the full week...! Good heads up on the liquor store (: My boyfriend and I may take the divide and conquer route to tackle the both the grocery store and the liquor store then (:
Jackass wrote:Here's another thread for you...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65341&p=957074&hili ... ja#p957074
This is great, thanks. Will give lemur's post a more detailed read through. Think the main difference is the tent--we're going with a 9x8 Kodiak instead of a smaller and more lightweight 2-person tent, which, weight wise, is one bag in itself. At least there's two of us instead of just one! This would be way harder solo camping.
spacetime wrote:Glad to see this level of obsession. Keep it up you will do fine. And thanks for the nod.

Fresh food in your situation is a luxury. Best I could do was keep a container of Hummus cold until Ratty spelled me with a cooler on playa.

You will be happy to have cold beer and redbulls. If you can make a cooler work, great, absolutely wait and cool once Arctica opens.

My experience was that gas stove was absolutely the best for eggs. Sounds crazy but we managed to do some legit breakfasts with eggs out there. Sounds crazy getting all your crap in and unbroken eggs, but I'm like mama from Pink Flamingos about eggs at Burning Man after this year.

If possible, it would be great to have your folks in the car bring in a monkey hut for you guys. As per your hope of being self reliant consider the kelty shade I've discussed previously.

I doubled down on the kelty tarp this year and set up both the 12' and 16' for two with mixed results. Waiting a bit to post about my minimalist 2-person setup this year, but tl;dr is that it the 16' requires far more skill (particularly in hard conditions) than the 12'.

On tickets absolutely go hard on each ticket sale. However, do not let failure in any of them stop the preparation. I too saw that for people ready to go there were tickets available this year. ymmv, but I believe your plan to prepare regardless of individual sale results is on the money.

Probably the biggest factor in this risky and highly rewarding venture toward winning BM 2016 is your willingness to relentlessly prepare early and connect ask for feedback along the way.
Thank you, kind sir, for all the tips you have both indirectly and directly provided me with thus far (:

Looks like the cooler will stay zip-tied until we get to the playa then. We were going to do freeze-dried eggs, but a nice bacon and egg scramble (that's not freeze-dried) sounds like something I would kill for out there. I have a feeling I'll be packing / buying a lot more food than we need, but better safe than sorry I guess?

Ahh yes the kelty tarp set up looked nice. Way more affordable than aluminet or anything else... I had considered aluminet, shade cloth, or just a heavy duty tarp draped over our tent without any additional air space but was getting a headache trying to think through the best and most simplistic alternative. I'll look out for your post and read up that shade considerations thread in the interim.

Thanks for the words of encouragement with regards to ticket sales. I'm already anxiously awaiting ticket information and we'll definitely be jumping at every opportunity we come across between February and the date of departure.

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:39 am

Food: viewtopic.php?f=276&t=35430. If either of you have strong psychological effects from low blood sugar (I don't) plan accordingly with snacks.

There are many packing lists on the Internet which can help form yours.

Some people like the Black Rock Hardware shade system, deliverable on playa, I believe, but your responsibility to pack it out. There are many solo fly in shade threads.

We have had some discussions on joining a camp or finding a solo spot or some loosely structured camps near the bus depot. Making friends with your regional may turn up other options for a camp.

s_ting

Post by s_ting » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:37 am

some seeing eye wrote:Food: viewtopic.php?f=276&t=35430. If either of you have strong psychological effects from low blood sugar (I don't) plan accordingly with snacks.

There are many packing lists on the Internet which can help form yours.

Some people like the Black Rock Hardware shade system, deliverable on playa, I believe, but your responsibility to pack it out. There are many solo fly in shade threads.

We have had some discussions on joining a camp or finding a solo spot or some loosely structured camps near the bus depot. Making friends with your regional may turn up other options for a camp.
This thread is awesome, thanks for the link! Forgot poptarts existed until reading through the thread. I've been merging a bunch of packing lists (I found Stitch's list which has been helpful as I think through what we may need), so hopefully I get everything down.

I am working on getting to know my regional better--this is definitely a top priority to me. It's been a bit challenging as I just moved to Boston and am not able to make it to the weekly meets, but I'm sure I'll get more connected with time. My concern with camp options is that since we intend to go with other friends from SF and LA, it may be hard to find a theme camp that's willing to accept 6 of us when people in the camp only know two of us (for example, my boyfriend and I may get to know the Boston burners, but they won't have met my other four friends). But of course, I'll never know until I actually try and talk to people.

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:02 pm

On all of the pages of packing lists and suggestions you read, keep in mind that you want to pick and choose what make sense to you. Shelter, sleeping bags, dust mask, goggles, warm clothes etc., but don't feel like you need everything on the list. You'll be dealing with hundreds of lbs. of stuff.

I tend to bring two hard sided suitcases and make sure they stay within the weight limit. My carry-on is stuffed with heavy things that would throw me over the top on the checked bags. Everyone does things differently, but we all think our way is the smartest. :D

s_ting

Post by s_ting » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:15 pm

Sham wrote:On all of the pages of packing lists and suggestions you read, keep in mind that you want to pick and choose what make sense to you. Shelter, sleeping bags, dust mask, goggles, warm clothes etc., but don't feel like you need everything on the list. You'll be dealing with hundreds of lbs. of stuff.

I tend to bring two hard sided suitcases and make sure they stay within the weight limit. My carry-on is stuffed with heavy things that would throw me over the top on the checked bags. Everyone does things differently, but we all think our way is the smartest. :D
Hah yeah, packing light is the name of the game right now (that said, maybe I should reconsider bringing 480 baby wipes...). I see vinegar on a lot of the lists and I'm just hoping to find a nice neighbor who's willing to share some if my feet do get wrecked instead of bringing / buying some. Hope to make your acquaintance at some point this next year if you're based out of Boston (:

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:24 pm

maybe I should reconsider bringing 480 baby wipes

i am dying to find out exactly how you came to this number.

is it number of wipes per crevice per day?

what is the exact formula you are using.....just curious.
Frida Be You & Me

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:36 pm

s_ting wrote:
Sham wrote:On all of the pages of packing lists and suggestions you read, keep in mind that you want to pick and choose what make sense to you. Shelter, sleeping bags, dust mask, goggles, warm clothes etc., but don't feel like you need everything on the list. You'll be dealing with hundreds of lbs. of stuff.

Hah yeah, packing light is the name of the game right now (that said, maybe I should reconsider bringing 480 baby wipes...). I see vinegar on a lot of the lists and I'm just hoping to find a nice neighbor who's willing to share some if my feet do get wrecked instead of bringing / buying some. Hope to make your acquaintance at some point this next year if you're based out of Boston (:
Vinegar and wipes are cheap and frequently needed, don't reconsider your position. :lol: If you're hoping to share items with a neighbor, let them be things you won't need daily. For example: I actually wouldn't panic if I got to BRC and realized I'd forgotten my hammer. I could probably borrow one for an hour or two and be done with it. Wipes on the other hand: you will need daily, and they are finite in supply. :)

This year I tried baby wipes (one of the major brands) that are the size of a refill bag, but is actually a clear-wrapped container for 3 smaller, self-contained units that snap shut and allow hardly any air. These are my new favorite way to go.

(Previous favorite: refill-sized baby wipes, kept inside a 2.5 size gallon ziploc. The wipes don't dry out . . . but it takes more time to open/close).
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

s_ting

Post by s_ting » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:44 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:i am dying to find out exactly how you came to this number.

is it number of wipes per crevice per day?

what is the exact formula you are using.....just curious.
Walmart happens to sell 480 that comes in two large resealable packs for only $9. It seemed more reasonable than 800 which was the other option I considered ahaha. 480 seemed like an okay figure, as 480 / 2 people / 5 days = 48 per day. I'm not gonna lie, I have no intentions of showering so I will happily be baby wiping myself down every night (please hug me if you see me).

Savannah wrote:Vinegar and wipes are cheap and frequently needed, don't reconsider your position. :lol: If you're hoping to share items with a neighbor, let them be things you won't need daily. For example: I actually wouldn't panic if I got to BRC and realized I'd forgotten my hammer. I could probably borrow one for an hour or two and be done with it. Wipes on the other hand: you will need daily, and they are finite in supply. :)

This year I tried baby wipes (one of the major brands) that are the size of a refill bag, but is actually a clear-wrapped container for 3 smaller, self-contained units that snap shut and allow hardly any air. These are my new favorite way to go.

(Previous favorite: refill-sized baby wipes, kept inside a 2.5 size gallon ziploc. The wipes don't dry out . . . but it takes more time to open/close).
Man, so vinegar really should go on my list? I guess in the end t wouldn't take up much room if I bought some at the SaveMart. Hammer has been on the "might need" list since I know there will be plenty to go around. I just don't want to be a hassle to anyone! I'll keep the 480 baby wipes on my list (: They're a lot heavier than I expected, so into my carry-on backpack they go!

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:52 pm

The baby wipes may not be allowed in your backpack. Mostly liquid and alcohol/flammable based. I would check that on the airline list. They get stupid sometimes.

s_ting

Post by s_ting » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:57 pm

Sham wrote:The baby wipes may not be allowed in your backpack. Mostly liquid and alcohol/flammable based. I would check that on the airline list. They get stupid sometimes.
Wow this is something I 110% had not considered. I will definitely check on that before lugging it through my carry-on bag.

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:06 pm

s_ting wrote: My concern with camp options is that since we intend to go with other friends from SF and LA, it may be hard to find a theme camp that's willing to accept 6 of us when people in the camp only know two of us (for example, my boyfriend and I may get to know the Boston burners, but they won't have met my other four friends). But of course, I'll never know until I actually try and talk to people.
The plot and the camp thickens. How many of 6 are virgins? Are they all in, or maybe in?

One virgin ePlayan organized a camp of all virgins. She may have insights.

The camp leader, council, cabal, politburo can come to agreement to divide camp infrastructure, shared by all, among campers. That includes who might be driving what in in what kind of vehicle.

Common camp shared infrastructure might include, shaded hang out space, tools, chairs, kitchen, shade for tent, more water, shower+evaporon, shared food, drink, plates, eat-cook utensils, washup, washup supplies, camp mailbox, camp flags, signs, camp WiFi, camp art, camp sounds, generator/solar/batteries, lighting, trash out handling. Sure there are many more, and you don't need 6 footbaths and 6 individual supplies of vinegar.

One person with a roof rack vehicle can bring a good shade setup and more. But plan for last minute dropouts.

I would not suggest over building first year with 6 virgins, but dividing the work and things to bring benefits all.

TL:DR 6 can be a camp unto itself.

s_ting

Post by s_ting » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:03 pm

some seeing eye wrote:The plot and the camp thickens. How many of 6 are virgins? Are they all in, or maybe in?

One virgin ePlayan organized a camp of all virgins. She may have insights.

The camp leader, council, cabal, politburo can come to agreement to divide camp infrastructure, shared by all, among campers. That includes who might be driving what in in what kind of vehicle.

Common camp shared infrastructure might include, shaded hang out space, tools, chairs, kitchen, shade for tent, more water, shower+evaporon, shared food, drink, plates, eat-cook utensils, washup, washup supplies, camp mailbox, camp flags, signs, camp WiFi, camp art, camp sounds, generator/solar/batteries, lighting, trash out handling. Sure there are many more, and you don't need 6 footbaths and 6 individual supplies of vinegar.

One person with a roof rack vehicle can bring a good shade setup and more. But plan for last minute dropouts.

I would not suggest over building first year with 6 virgins, but dividing the work and things to bring benefits all.

TL:DR 6 can be a camp unto itself.
All virgins, all in, though I'm the only one who's pouring her heart into it at the moment. To give you more unnecessary detail (I might as well draw a "virgin family tree" for you at this point), the group consists of three couples. The SF couple lives with a group of veterans so I think they aren't as concerned with planning so far in advance since they see their housemates go out every year. I question the girlfriend of the LA couple's level of seriousness since I don't think she has a clue what she's signing up for but I trust the boyfriend with all my heart so there's that. SF couple and LA couple also don't know each other...

The girlfriend of the SF couple is my best friend and we actually discussed being some sort of "unofficial camp" of sorts... We wanted to be eskimo-themed (we're both originally from Michigan) and wanted to do something like serve snow cones and camp in "igloos" and we'd have hanging icicle lights and all that jazz. Then I think we realized we were getting way ahead of ourselves and maybe should think smaller for our first year. Said friend also thinks I should calm down with my planning haha.

I'd like to have shared shade structure and shared resources, I guess we'd still be a little "camp" of our own? Just not officially and not with placement.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:20 am

Being a little camp of your own is often the best kind of camp. While I do have a registered theme camp within a village, it only consists of six to ten people. You don't have to be big to do it well.

Continue on with the Eskimo planning! It is fun to have a unifying individual theme. While you might think no one notices, if you are having fun with it, that is what matters.

Serving snowcones may require a food permit, depending on how you do it.

s_ting

Post by s_ting » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:59 am

AntiM wrote:Being a little camp of your own is often the best kind of camp. While I do have a registered theme camp within a village, it only consists of six to ten people. You don't have to be big to do it well.

Continue on with the Eskimo planning! It is fun to have a unifying individual theme. While you might think no one notices, if you are having fun with it, that is what matters.

Yeah, I saw the potential of needing a food permit and I think that was what put the initial pause on our planning. I'll re-raise the topic with my friend--you guys got me all excited about having a unifying theme again! (: Unfortunately that would make traveling light and bringing just the necessities a bit harder on my end.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:48 am

A theme can be a simple as a banner!!! 8)

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:48 am

s_ting wrote:
AntiM wrote:Being a little camp of your own is often the best kind of camp. While I do have a registered theme camp within a village, it only consists of six to ten people. You don't have to be big to do it well.

Yeah, I saw the potential of needing a food permit and I think that was what put the initial pause on our planning. I'll re-raise the topic with my friend--you guys got me all excited about having a unifying theme again! (: Unfortunately that would make traveling light and bringing just the necessities a bit harder on my end.

Make friends on eplaya, con us into hauling stuff ....

s_ting

Post by s_ting » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:03 am

FIGJAM wrote:A theme can be a simple as a banner!!! 8)

Hah! I love it!
AntiM wrote:Make friends on eplaya, con us into hauling stuff ....
I'll burden my campmates with that first. Though I make some mean baked goods and ice cream sundaes (:

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”