Cargo Van Discovery

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
ZigZag
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Fade to White

Cargo Van Discovery

Post by ZigZag » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:49 am

I just discovered something that might turn out to be a great "Best Kept Secret" for anyone thinking of renting a cargo van to get to the playa.

Since I am going solo, I don't need a big box truck, a cargo van will suffice and get me better gas mileage from Minnesota.

I've looked around at all the rental outfits and many of them are not offering vans and those that do are charging dailies plus a rate per mile plus fees. I kept digging and found a local Ford dealer who is renting out their cargo vans at about half the weekly price and though they are charging a mileage rate, its nearly half what the truck rental companies are charging and they are giving me 1000 miles free.

I have not finalized my deal yet and I can't name names or rates here, but its a big ray of sunshine in this otherwise miserable rainy and dreary day,
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Cargo Van Discovery

Post by maladroit » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:48 pm

Bring that thing back SPOTLESS and don't tell anyone, keep this deal going for yourself.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue May 03, 2016 1:45 am

And by spotless, Maladroit means SPOTLESS. Take that puppy in for a full detailing, including the engine & air conditioning ducts. Playa dust is basically fine talcum powder, it will get everywhere and there is no way to stop it from getting in your vehicle (you do have to drive for miles across it with hundreds to thousands of other vehicles, all kicking up dust). Bringing it back clean means you're more likely to get the deal next year.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

ZigZag
Camp Name: Fade to White

Post by ZigZag » Tue May 03, 2016 8:02 am

It turned out that (name redacted by moderator) had a cargo van that was even cheaper. Probably because its a Chevy. Oh well, gotta cut costs somewhere! :P

I'm sort of hoping that driving back to Minnesota for 3 days will blow alot of the dust out of the system. Probably not eh? Should I plan on taking along an extra air filter?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

EGAZ
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Tue May 03, 2016 8:17 am

I have read some lists that say to bring an extra filter & change it once you're down the road, say first pit stop. It would be cheap insurance I guess. You could always return it if you don't use it. Much depends on how long the motor is running while on the Playa. Waiting in line both in and out. Running to charge batteries.

Hoping the vets chime in on this for clarity....
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Tue May 03, 2016 8:46 am

eldergeekaz wrote:I have read some lists that say to bring an extra filter & change it once you're down the road, say first pit stop. I
I definitely recommend that. Air filters are generally pretty cheap, and I've found my mileage improves more than enough to make it worthwhile. I also do my best to park my vehicle pointed away from prevailing winds, which seems to help a bit.

I wouldn't count on road driving to blow anything out. I drive 1000 miles one way, and there's always dust remaining on the outside of my vehicle. For areas that are at all shielded, it's even worse. My trailer hitch is black, but still looked like it had been painted the color of the playa last year after I got home, despite the fact that it rained the last portion of the trip.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Tue May 03, 2016 11:13 am

Whatever doesn't blow off in the first half hour at speed, will not come off without a more physical interaction. Actually some of those filters on those vans and trucks can run $30-50.

Do you know how many Indian Tacos you can get for that kind of coin?

Take the air filter out and slap it against the pavement until nothing comes out of it, blow it out a bit with some low pressure air at a gas station, wipe out the air filter box and slap that thing back in. Save that money for Indian Tacos and quarters for the car wash and laundromat, you're gonna need it.

Unless of course you're into performing preventative maintenance on a rented vehicle, at a cost to yourself... Why not change the oil while you're down there?
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Repair

Post by dragonpilot » Wed May 04, 2016 4:08 pm

A 1:10 ratio of white vinegar to water is about the only thing that cuts thru the playa dust...mix it in an old spray bottle. Playa dust is almost magnetic and gets in every nook and cranny of everything.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

fireheadwhale
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Pen is Mightier

Post by fireheadwhale » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:51 pm

The first time I turned on the AC in my car this spring, I could smell playa dust. Nostalgic.
You can apply any terms to any situation to rationalize bias or perspective.

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:03 pm

Thinking the playa is going to just blow off while driving is very naive.
It won't. And washing it isn't going to fix it, it will need a very thorough detail job.
As mentioned, that includes under the hood, door jambs, all over. The playa really trashes vehicles.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”