Bus to the Greeter Station??

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Moxie1
Burning Since: 2010

Bus to the Greeter Station??

Post by Moxie1 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:38 pm

I read somewhere that it's necessary to take a bus to the greeter station. When I pick my shifts I want to be sure I can be on time.

When/where do we pick up the bus to the entrance and how long does it take to get out there? I was just planning to ride my bike out...

Thank you!

Moxie1

Re: Bus to the Greeter Station??

Post by Moxie1 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:53 pm

Never mind... I was just told the bus is fictitious... Doh!

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:28 pm

In any case, it's best to take the subway.
Much cooler and you can put on your makeup during the ride.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:36 pm

Moxie1 wrote:Never mind... I was just told the bus is fictitious... Doh!
Yup. :twisted:
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Moxie1

Post by Moxie1 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:54 pm

I'm a dork! (FYI, I would LOVE a subway token - for a not-subway...)

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:21 pm

The bus to greeters is good old fashioned misinformation, a grand old tradition on the playa. However, the BRC subway is real, it wouldn't be possible if it weren't for pre-existing mining tunnels. It's not just random that BRC is located on the particular spot of Black Rock Desert that it is.
It's an old, janky trolley that has only barely been fixed up enough to operate but you'll see BRC subway signs at a few Esplanade camps. Those camps have entrances to the tunnels.
It's not generally public information but statistically only a few percent of burners are here on eplaya, so screw it.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:30 pm

The Captain is always lets the cat out of the bag.

The main entrance to the Black Rock City Subway System is the little green house behind Burno's gas station in Gerlach. The end of the line is at the little green house at the airport.

Purchase your $15.00 round trip ticket inside of Bruno's and he will give you the key to unlock the door and two tokens. Insert one of your tokens in the slot and wait until the subway makes it's return trip. It only takes about 5 min. to make the trip to Black Rock City and it is so much better that sitting and waiting hours in that darn hot and dusty line.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:51 pm

One of the factors that drives that disclaimer on the back of your ticket ("you may die...") are some of these old artifacts.

The "subway" as its called, is pushing 70 years old and is a remnant from the gypsum operations in both Gerlach and Empire. If you google around a bit, you'll see these all shutdown in the last 10'years (google for the exact date, but this link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire,_Nevada says it was all done abandoned by 2011). Much of that old gypsum mining infrastructure was simply abandoned in place.

The subway runs from the railhead in Gerlach (close to Brunos), towards Empire behind the water tower, and then straight out towards the playa. It forms a lopsided "T". There is also a derelict spur that ran off in the general direction of Jungo Road, but the quake in 1966 damaged it beyond repair. Because that segment was lower, it has mostly collapsed. What is left looks like a ditch when viewed from the air.

In recent years, BLM has been considering knocking-out the west connector near Empire and using it, for lack of a better term, as a drain for the playa. The ditch behind the old school is about 6 feet lower than most of the playa, and this slight change in elevation over those 10 miles would allow for a controlled, non-erosive flow. (The logic is that BLM basically wants the playa as dry as possible early in the year for max revenue. They always wrap these things in some bogus "land stewardship" verbiage, but its purely revenue driven). Because BLM is federal, the water laws basically say the state of Nevada cant stop them.

Anyway, I was going somewhere with this entire rant, but I seemed to have been derailed so I'll leave it be except for this: to the inevitable genius who thinks they can use the Subway to sneak-in... Fuggettaboutit. Both of the remaining off-playa access points are under the watchful eyes of GP&E. Its been tried before, and unless you have a token or a staff badge, you'll wind-up sitting in a BLM SUV in cuffs. Not a great way to start your burn.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:21 pm

What we cannot talk about could be how Empire has been purchased by a black budget shell corporation because it has access to tunnels. But what could really revive the local economy is the Yucca Mountain II project.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

mojo

Post by mojo » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:21 pm

Real answer:

The Greeters Station is close to the city, but not so easy is Gate. Greeters is easily bikeable, or walkable, from the city. Most of us walk or bike ride to the Greeter's station. I have walked it many times for 18 years. Gate volunteers need to arrange for transport which is provided for them to get out there.
Cum catapulte proscripte erunt tum soli proscripti catapultus haebunt.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:28 am

Before the event officially starts you can easily see the Greeters in the distance. They're not that far away. After the city fills up you can still hear virgins ringing the gong all night. Ahhhh. Music to my ears.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:48 pm

Ratty wrote:Before the event officially starts you can easily see the Greeters in the distance. They're not that far away. After the city fills up you can still hear virgins ringing the gong all night. Ahhhh. Music to my ears.
True. Greeters is closer than Gate. It's not a bad walk, but allow yourself a good 30 minutes to walk there (or bike it). And bring supplies for your comfort for the next 4 hours.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”