Flame effects for mutant bicycle (approval/licensing)

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Shoeshine
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp DIY

Flame effects for mutant bicycle (approval/licensing)

Post by Shoeshine » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:54 pm

Hola Eplaya,

Not sure if this is the best spot for this (mods feel free to move if appropriate)

In the middle of my build of my mutant bike. Adult "Big Wheel" Rear and drive train from a Schwinn 26" tricycle, front wheel custom built at 66". Should be a fun pedal around the playa.

Also been reading Make: Fire by Tim Deagan
Thinking a "poofer" would be a fun thing to add to this boondoggle.

pretty standard build from what I've seen around. 10' in the air, accumulator run off a standard grill propane tank with pilot and 12v solenoid.

Been looking through the online documentation from FAST, and I admit I'm lost. Most of the info seems to be about large scale projects with burn perimeters and the like.

What are the actual requirements for a project at this small scale?

DMV has an inspection station for MV's, so does artery for installations. Who if anyone do I go through? Do i need to?

anyway, any direction appreciated

Cheers
Shoe
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Jackass

Re: Flame effects for mutant bicycle (approval/licensing)

Post by Jackass » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:45 pm

I'm going to run a propane-explosive tail pipe this year on my bike. Since it won't be running a pilot light or anything else to give me away, I'm just going to run it and see how it goes. Your effect is going to be a bit more dramatic, so build it right in case you need to get licensed from the fire folk. Lightweight pipe and the such won't fly with them.
http://www.spontaneousfire.com/TOD_firecannons.htm
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:07 pm

I get an official 'Flame Effects' sticker for my pedal trikes by going to the DMV night time check, they have a guy doing flame effects inspection. Things he looks for are a fire extinguisher, 1/4 turn shutoff valve (separate from the tank valve), no soldered fittings (use flared, threaded, or compression), propane rated SOG valves and lines, 10' flame effect min. height (that has a bit of wiggle room if pointed straight up). Other info on the FAST pages. Have fun!
Burning Man 2003-18; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

Shoeshine

Post by Shoeshine » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:39 am

Cool, Thanks Tiahaar.

That's easily done. good info though, Think I have all that covered. DMV it is.

Do you find you have to line up with all the other MV's or is it a separate station?

Shoe
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:32 pm

lined up with the other mutants but didn't have to wait for all in front of me to go through licensing (thank the playa)...the fire marshal and his minions were walking down the line checking flame effects, gave them a heads up that that was all I needed and I got looked at in turn. post up a pic of your rig when its done! :-)
Burning Man 2003-18; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

Shoeshine

Post by Shoeshine » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:28 pm

thanks T, will do.

SnowBlind

Post by SnowBlind » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:38 pm

Shoeshine, you do *not* need to get in line with the MVs. If there is any confusion, make sure you tell them that your vehicle is human powered and you are only there for the flame inspection. Ask for a place called 'Salem's Lot'. That's where FAST does the flame inspection.

Note that technically you do not have any dealings with the DMV, as the FAST team is a separate department. For convenience they do inspects at the DMV however. Also they are only there at certain hours. Don't know what those hours are this year.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”