Protecting my trip and ticket when carpooling with strangers?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Protecting my trip and ticket when carpooling with strangers?

Post by lucky420 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:54 am

Yes SPARR,come to the meet and greet. Most of us are much nicer in person.

I'm being sincere.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:59 am

lucky420 wrote:Yes SPARR,come to the meet and greet. Most of us are much nicer in person.

I'm being sincere.
Speak for yourself.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:43 am

-With the Doc on that-
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:50 pm

And so we come full circle-jerk on this topic.

Awesome thread.

All puns intended.

justanta
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Whore's S'mores (in Ill Ville)

Post by justanta » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:28 pm

Protip sparr: The people on the sub suggesting you do that were being sarcastic and trying to fuck up your burn for laughs. They are almost as good at sarcasm there as people are here :D
I thought so, too, until I got banned for "challenging" the bad advice.
You didn't get banned for challenging bad advice. You got banned for challenging all advice.

FWIW, I was annoyed you got banned. Everyone seemed to enjoy those threads but there is one mod on the subreddit who is very overzealous.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:40 pm

Yeah Sparr, you should attend M&G. Despite my anxieties, the first time I attended it was great. Nothing like meeting in person the people you've only conversed, or had heated arguments, with in the forums. The reactions of people recognizing or learning who you are are also a lot of fun.

Plus, then we'll know that you've survived the trials and tribulations of getting to the event.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:40 pm

justanta wrote:
Protip sparr: The people on the sub suggesting you do that were being sarcastic and trying to fuck up your burn for laughs. They are almost as good at sarcasm there as people are here :D
You didn't get banned for challenging bad advice. You got banned for challenging all advice.

FWIW, I was annoyed you got banned. Everyone seemed to enjoy those threads but there is one mod on the subreddit who is very overzealous.
He's been unbanned. Personally I think that mod is one of the more evenhanded ones.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:05 pm

Jovankat, You're a mod there. Was it you?
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:09 pm

Yes I am. No it was not.

justanta
Camp Name: Whore's S'mores (in Ill Ville)

Post by justanta » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:26 pm

Jovankat wrote:
justanta wrote:

He's been unbanned. Personally I think that mod is one of the more evenhanded ones.
Perhaps I am being unfair.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:49 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:-With the Doc on that-
I second. Do we have a motion for closure?

Actually I must recuse myself as I am not attending this year.

Sparr. Go to the M&G. Everyone is much less of an asshole in person. Myself included :-)Not really And I'm sure you are not as big of a Jack Wagon as some of us assume you are. I think you will regret not going. That is assuming you ever get beyond gate with all the schemes you have proposed.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:18 pm

I have never made it to the M&G but one time I ran into junglesmacks because he was a walking lighthouse seizure. I bonded with him because I was also wearing really bright LED pants.

sparr

Post by sparr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:47 pm

BBadger wrote:just ask to have everyone verify that they have a ticket. It would be in the best interest of all people in the vehicle. You can volunteer to show your ticket first just to prove to them that you're not a problem to break the ice.
One thing I learned last year is that I need to actually *see* people's tickets. I had a passenger last year who said they had a ticket, but ended up needing to go through will-call. Never again.
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:21 pm

Yup, one in the hand is worth two in the booth! I've never understood why anyone considers Will Call a "convenience."
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: The Chariot Project

Post by Zubeneschamali » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:01 pm

My experience last year was completely different. I had extra space in my truck and was forced to travel alone so I arranged a share ride on this board a few weeks in advance. I was tasked to stake out our camp perimeter so my plan was to get in at opening line. I was completely packed and prepped and wasn't looking to drive anyone around Reno "for last minute errands". My posting communicated this and I received half a dozen replies, which I pared down thru a vetting process.

In person she was exactly who she claimed to be online: punctual, ready, and packed. I picked her up in Reno at the designated location at the arranged time, we quickly loaded her gear which was no more than she told me she was preparing.

We stopped off in Sparks for a coffee and had a great conversation and counted down to our departure time. She was a fabulous traveling partner, we hit the opening line and gate and I dropped her off at her camp.

It was drama free, stress free, and a fabulous experience. Could something have happened that could have jeopardized my plans? Yes. Was the risk offset by the act of helping out a fellow burner? Absolutely. If I'm in the same situation this year I'll definitely rideshare again.

sparr

Post by sparr » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:52 pm

Zubeneschamali wrote:Could something have happened that could have jeopardized my plans? Yes. Was the risk offset by the act of helping out a fellow burner? Absolutely. If I'm in the same situation this year I'll definitely rideshare again.
I am 100% with you on this. It makes me sad how many people here are saying to not do this :(
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:01 pm

sparr wrote:
Zubeneschamali wrote:Could something have happened that could have jeopardized my plans? Yes. Was the risk offset by the act of helping out a fellow burner? Absolutely. If I'm in the same situation this year I'll definitely rideshare again.
I am 100% with you on this. It makes me sad how many people here are saying to not do this :(
Wait a minute. Aren't you the one sparr who got all weird about stranger danger?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

sparr

Post by sparr » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:23 pm

lucky420 wrote:Wait a minute. Aren't you the one sparr who got all weird about stranger danger?
No, I'm the one trying to figure out the best way to give rides to strangers and accept rides from strangers. Other people are the ones saying not to do either of those things.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:38 pm

Ah ok, I didn't feel like going back through all the pages
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”