What happens if a vehicle is turned away from gate, but the tickets aren't voided?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
sparr
Burning Since: 2015

What happens if a vehicle is turned away from gate, but the tickets aren't voided?

Post by sparr » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:22 pm

I've been reading a lot, including sticky threads in this forum, and talking to some people who have worked gate.

I've seen people, some official, saying contradictory things about how the situation is handled if there's a stowaway or a person without a ticket or a person with a counterfeit or voided ticket.

Some people say some/all of these situations result in all the tickets in the car being voided.

Some say they all result in just the car being turned around, and the valid tickets in the car getting re-entry wristbands. If that's true, can someone elaborate on what happens next?

Some say there's a difference in the handling of a hiding person vs a person without a ticket vs a person with a counterfeit ticket vs a person with a voided ticket.

Can someone help me get to the bottom of this?
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Re: What happens if a vehicle is turned away from gate, but the tickets aren't voided?

Post by maladroit » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:27 pm

Yes we can help; go back and talk to the people who have worked Gate some more. They are your authority for how things are actually handled at Gate. It doesn't matter if what they do contradicts any other information: they are telling you what actually happens, which is all that really matters.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: What happens if a vehicle is turned away from gate, but the tickets aren't voided?

Post by Eric » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:03 pm

As far as I understand it (which may be faulty, someone from GPE is free to correct me):

Someone in vehicle has no ticket/ has counterfeit:
other people in vehicle keep their tickets, but entire vehicle is turned around and sent back TO RENO (not Gerlach, not Empire) to leave the unticketed person in civilization. Once that's done, vehicle & ticketed passengers may return to BRC (basically you're looking at 8-16 hours round trip, at minimum)

Vehicle has a stowaway:
Tickets of everyone in the vehicle are confiscated (regardless if they knew about the stowaway or not), vehicle is banned entry in BRC for the entire event (meaning that even if the people in the vehicle found new tickets, they would have to find a new way in)

At no time ever is a person allowed to walk into the city, and no-one may be left at Gate or in Gerlach/ Empire/ Wadworth. Any rooms they have are already taken by law enforcement.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:54 pm

Good God some of you people worry too much. If you're so damned worried about it, bring your own damn car and drive in by yourself. Jesus H. Christ, I swear.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:59 am

Easy. Do exactly what Gate tells you to do. Write it down if you have to.

DON'T BE THAT GUY!
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

sparr

Post by sparr » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:24 pm

Eric wrote:Someone in vehicle has no ticket/ has counterfeit:
other people in vehicle keep their tickets, but entire vehicle is turned around and sent back TO RENO [...] vehicle & ticketed passengers may return to BRC

Vehicle has a stowaway:
Tickets of everyone in the vehicle are confiscated (regardless if they knew about the stowaway or not), vehicle is banned entry in BRC for the entire event
Context for my reply: My arrival at gate last year involved the gate people looking in the back of my ambulance and on the roof, presumably looking for stowaways. This happened at the same time as we were being asked for our tickets.

If someone had been sitting on my roof without a ticket, in a very stupid attempt to hide, it sounds like I'd have had my ticket confiscated. My take-away from all of this is that in that hypothetical situation, I'd be better off to have a spare counterfeit ticket in my pocket, so I could say "Here's their ticket".
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

mrchiff

Post by mrchiff » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:37 pm

You have way too much free time on your hands.

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Fly Ranch Project

Post by Just_Joe » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:00 pm

Bob wrote: Jesus fuck, it's going to be a long year.

dustyfux
Camp Name: Break It Down

Post by dustyfux » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:12 pm

If you have a stowaway in the back of your ambulance, or on the roof, presumably as the operator of the vehicle you know they are there. Therefore fuck the stowaway, your vehicle, and you in this scenario - GTFO.

If you have a stowaway in/on your vehicle and somehow you don't know, then you're a fucking idiot who can't be trusted to survive a week in the desert. They're doing you a favor by turning you back. If you knowingly pull out a counterfeit ticket at that point, go back to scenario #1, because then you knew about it.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:40 pm

Sparr,

Generally, stowaways are sneaked into the event with collusion of the vehicle's operator and occupants. That's why the entire vehicle's set of tickets are confiscated in the event a stowaway is found.

I've never heard of stowaways sneaking aboard a vehicle like hobos on a train. That would be very difficult to pull off. The stowaways would need to first be transported by someone else to the vicinity of the gate line (or hang on for dear life from some previous location), and then surreptitiously attach themselves to some large vehicle without the owner's knowledge or attracting attention of other people in line.

I wouldn't worry about random stowaways hitching a ride aboard your vehicle. Besides the extremely low probability that anyone would attempt it, you would generally hear someone crawling aboard your vehicle. If you're really concerned, you could get out of the vehicle and do an inspection yourself before arriving at the gate.

I'd be more concerned that the occupants of your vehicle were planning some sort of ruse, rather than some stowaway degenerate trying to sneak aboard your vehicle.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:43 pm

I have a utility trailer with 18" sides, and I stack a hexayurt on top of that. There's room in the trailer for three or four people to lie down, though it would be an uncomfortable and dangerous ride. Gate hasn't asked to look inside for two years, and one year I only had to pull off the back gate and let them shine a light up between the bins.

If you're not acting shady and uncomfortable and nervous and defensive and aggressive they are probably not going to tear your vehicle apart looking for problems.

Therefore, sparr, you should expect a cavity search.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:51 pm

Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:51 pm

Prepare for your Goatse.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

sparr

Post by sparr » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:08 pm

dustyfux wrote:If you have a stowaway in the back of your ambulance, or on the roof, presumably as the operator of the vehicle you know they are there. Therefore fuck the stowaway, your vehicle, and you in this scenario - GTFO.
Think about it from the perspective of someone who chose to ride with me. Even if we assume I'm complicit in the stowaway, those other people might want to protect themselves.
dustyfux wrote:If you have a stowaway in/on your vehicle and somehow you don't know, then you're a fucking idiot who can't be trusted to survive a week in the desert. They're doing you a favor by turning you back. If you knowingly pull out a counterfeit ticket at that point, go back to scenario #1, because then you knew about it.
I don't have to know about a stowaway in the future to decide that printing a counterfeit ticket today is a good idea to protect myself if I end up surprised by a stowaway in 3 weeks.

mudpuppy000
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:21 pm

Yeah, great idea, except the whole forgery thing and posting about doing it in a public forum. :lol:

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:42 pm

sparr wrote:I don't have to know about a stowaway in the future to decide that printing a counterfeit ticket today is a good idea to protect myself if I end up surprised by a stowaway in 3 weeks.
emphasis mine

A friendly note: if, for any reason, you were to present to Gate a counterfeit ticket, but then give them your real one (even if "it's a joke, haha"), you risk having your vehicle pulled out of Gate line and completely emptied, every square inch of it & your packing searched for a stow-away (and I wouldn't be surprised if the BLM dogs sniffed around the edges while this was happening). This could take multiple hours. Even suggesting a counterfeit ticket could bring you under suspicion if you happen to get one of the Gate people who are members of this board & if you look like your avatar. Some things are not joking matters, and if you're not joking ... well, if you're not joking you're basically asking for ways to be set up for failure.

Also: if you can print a counterfeit that can get pass Gate ... you are the Leonardo of forgers. Seriously, there is no way someone could make a fake one of these without serious investment in dies & a high-end print shop.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:49 pm

And administrator access to the barcode database...
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

mudpuppy000
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:50 pm

"It’s also a crime in Nevada to, with the intent to defraud, make any false entry into a public record, fail to make a true entry of any material matter in a public record, or forge any written instrument that misrepresents or adversely affects another person’s opinions, property, conduct, interests, or character.

Anyone who commits this offense commits a category D felony. (Nevada Revised Statutes § 205.095)"

Having his vehicle emptied by gate would be the least of his problems.

sparr

Post by sparr » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:51 pm

Eric wrote:A friendly note: if, for any reason, you were to present to Gate a counterfeit ticket, but then give them your real one (even if "it's a joke, haha"),
The hypothetical counterfeit in question isn't for me, and it isn't meant to be good enough to pass. It's for the hypothetical person who thinks they are hiding on top of the vehicle I ride in on. Because people are telling me that it's better for me, as an ignorant-up-to-that-point bystander, for that person to have a bad counterfeit ticket than to not have a ticket at all.

Hell, maybe I even put it in an envelope on the roof with a sign. "Open in case of stowaway capture emergency" (the wording is supposed to be funny but I don't think I've succeeded in that)

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:12 pm

You could then add aiding and abetting to your list of charges. (Not my definition btw. Those pesky laws!!!)
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:24 pm

I often worry about alien abduction while waiting on Gate road.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:31 pm

As you should ^^
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:35 pm

lucky420 wrote:As you should ^^
I am a tender morsel.
ask the Kanamits:
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:02 pm

Yes, you're rare
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:21 pm

Holy shit man, it's not like you're at the entrance of the Chunnel and there are migrants trying to board your vehicle to sneak into the UK.
Calais-Migrants_1_3384582a.jpg
Or navigating the Horn of Africa warding off pirates like you're Captain Fucking Phillips.
captain-phillips-2013-hoses-fired-cargo-ship-somali-pirates-best-picture-review.jpg
Or driving through a flash-horde of hippie-hobos trying to latch on like you're a delivery truck in India.
india-truck.jpg
Why don't you just put a bunch of electrified razor wire on top of the vehicle?

Stay off!

But alas, it may not protect against those horse-bound stowaway boarders. You'll need to practice your fighting arts.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mrchiff

Post by mrchiff » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:45 am

sparr wrote: I don't have to know about a stowaway in the future to decide that printing a counterfeit ticket today is a good idea to protect myself if I end up surprised by a stowaway in 3 weeks.
It won't save you and will probably make things worse. You should stop thinking already.

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:33 am

The weird scenarios are starting to make sense. Yes, it's possible for someone to be hiding in the dust, then jump out and leap on top of your vehicle. Thank goodness you'll have a counterfeit ticket taped on the roof for them.

How's your real ticket coming along?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:37 am

I come in early packed to the gills. They almost always search my van thoroughly. Last year I spent an hour driving in a circle. D lot, will call, gate, repeat. We became old friends so I didn't need to be searched.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

ZigZag
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Fade to White

Post by ZigZag » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:58 pm

Well, just in case you need something new to worry about. There is this: FLIR at BM!

Don’t Sneak In! 2016
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:25 pm

Easiest way to get past the FLIR and microwave is to just make sure the people hidden in your rig aren't breathing or warm.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”