Planning Arrival After The Gates Open 2016

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Planning Arrival After The Gates Open 2016

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:55 pm

ygmir wrote:
JaimeGrant wrote:Hi,

I've searched available info and can't find an answer to this query. I am picking up a ticket, which is a gift, for my father on the playa that I must get to my dad before he gets to the gate the following day. Can I ride my bike back to Will Call and leave it? Can I ride my bike to meet his car in line? Do I need to drive my car out to Will Call?

I'm sure there must be a protocol, I just can't find it. Any help please.

Thanks,

Jaime

hi jaime,
is this ticket, an actual ticket? IE: paper.
That will matter to an answer.

You can ride out, to gate, but you must ride right next to the flag line, outside the traffic lanes, and you must have your ticket stub. You can do this only for official purposes, like a ticketing thing.
If you do this, be prepared to be stopped and asked for your stub.
When you get to gate, seek out a lead and explain what you are doing. Do not just wander around. It'll make life much easier.
If found outside the trash fence, with no proof, you could be asked to leave, directly. Not saying it will happen, but it could.
you may not ride out to the gate lanes/line.
you may not drive your car, unless you are leaving, or, have approval in the form of one of several stickers, once the event starts.
I'm more Perimeter than Gate, so someone may have more accurate info, but this is the best of my knowledge to your situation.

Thank you, Yggy, great information!
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

JaimeGrant
Burning Since: 2016

Postby JaimeGrant » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:46 pm

Thank you so much. Yes, the ticket is a physical ticket and I'll bring my own stub. It sounds as if you are suggesting that I cannot meet my party in line, but right at the gate. In any event, it sounds like the protocol is ride to the gate along the lane and then directly to get to take direction from someone there. Sounds like I can't leave a physical ticket at Will Call.

Thank you,

Jaime

JaimeGrant

Postby JaimeGrant » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:56 pm

And thanks for redirecting my query, Savannah. The issue seems to be that the person gifting the ticket is, himself, picking it up at will call and ticketfly doesn't have a transfer ticket option for the tic, so...we're trying to figure out the analog solution. :-)

Correction: Sorry, Ygmir, my reading comprehension is better than my post-work typing. What I meant to confirm is 'ride along the flag line outside of the lanes until I reach the gate'. I'm just trying to make life on my dad a little easier as he is turning 80 for his first burn.

Thanks again,

Jaime

JaimeGrant

Postby JaimeGrant » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:22 pm

Dr. Pyro,

At my age, I don't really require much encouragement. However, I'm delighted to be pointed in the right direction lest I end up wandering into someone stranger's living room and mumbling to the furnishings. :-)

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:01 pm

JaimeGrant wrote:Thank you so much. Yes, the ticket is a physical ticket and I'll bring my own stub. It sounds as if you are suggesting that I cannot meet my party in line, but right at the gate. In any event, it sounds like the protocol is ride to the gate along the lane and then directly to get to take direction from someone there. Sounds like I can't leave a physical ticket at Will Call.

Thank you,

Jaime
HI,
correct, you may not meet your party in line....or at the gate.
You can indeed go to will call, and leave the physical ticket, in his name, for him to pick up.
And, I'm pretty dang sure, Ticketfly has a process for changing the name on "will call" tickets....you can usually do it through your Ticketfly account, on line, and also, in person, when he picks up the ticket himself. He can then transfer for your dad to get when he arrives.
yeah, please have your own ticket stub with you, and know your camp address. And just to be double clear, ride along the flag line, but outside it IE: no in the vehicle traffic lanes. It's also best to exit and ride on the side gate is on, which is usually the south/east side of Gate road.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:22 pm

JaimeGrant wrote:I am picking up a ticket, which is a gift, for my father on the playa that I must get to my dad before he gets to the gate the following day.

This all sounds awfully sketchy.

Why can the ticket not be express mailed, FedEx, UPS, DHL ... shipped right now?

I'd be nervous about this scenario.

Besides the logistics nightmare for the will-call folks, I don't think this would be practical and I would check by contacting ticketing for the official answer.

I doubt will-call will do this.

JaimeGrant

Postby JaimeGrant » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:44 pm

Thanks all, I'll try to contact ticketing tomorrow and see what they have to say on the matter.

Thanks,

Jaime

JaimeGrant

Postby JaimeGrant » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:06 pm

Okay. For those who are curious, per BM ticket support, physical tickets can be left at Will Call under the recipient's name. Thankfully, pretty straight forward.

- Jaime

mrchiff
Burning Since: 1999

Postby mrchiff » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:01 pm

Token wrote:I doubt will-call will do this.

They do it frequently.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:31 pm

mrchiff wrote:
Token wrote:I doubt will-call will do this.

They do it frequently.

Never late to be educated! Much Obliged.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:19 pm

The 2017 thread can be found here.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”