RV pred/Route help please

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
acoldkiss
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: sparkadia east

RV pred/Route help please

Post by acoldkiss » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:19 pm

Hello,

Second time burners and first time RVers.

First question is do we need to do anything to the RV to save the mechanical cogs that make up our RV. Air filters and that stuff. Any advice?

Second we are driving from Vermont. and maps wants us to head EAST from Jungo from Winnemucca. This route looks to shave off about 5 hours of drive time. However is it:

Driveable?
How far is it total?
Does it have gas stations?

Any other advice we would really love!

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Re: RV pred/Route help please

Post by EGAZ » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:39 pm

RV Info

Jungo Road
  • Driveable? -- Yea, but its an un-imporved dirt road.

How far is it total? -- Your 'maps' doesn't tell you? Gerlach to/from Winnemucca, 100miles says Google.

Does it have gas stations? -- I'm guessing no from what I have looked up.
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:45 pm

I'm guessing an RV on Jungo will rattle so badly that at some point you will start to lose pieces of the RV somewhere along the way... Nothingness for miles and miles, including cell service.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:28 pm

Not Enough Info.
What does "RV" mean in this case? "RV" can mean anything from a brand new $900,000 Prevost bus to a $200 1968 Shasta trailer behind a '75 Nova with four bald tires and a leaky radiator.
If you have an Earth Roamer, by all means take Jungo. That's what it's built for. Otherwise, hell no.
What work needs to be done? What the fuck IS it and what shape is it in?!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

mrchiff
Burning Since: 1999

Post by mrchiff » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:15 pm

Unless you have 2 spares, skip Jungo Road.
Hell, even if you have 2 spares, in anything other than a 4x4 I would avoid it. It may be shorter mileage wise but it won't be shorter time wise.

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:45 pm

Welcome from Vermont! Welcome to ePlaya - contribute some posts!

You have to plan a route in and a route out. Jungo Road is no, no, no. Use 80/447.

On your route in plan food shopping and water pickup. On your route out plan showers at a truck stop or burner restover and meals.

If you exit or arrive North through Oregon or Washington East, Summer Lake Hot Springs and Eagle's Nest are strongly recommended.

If you come from 80 through SLC many burners do not want to economically support Winnemucca and Pershing County. Up to you.

Inbound you may find a caravan by social media.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:23 am

The fact that you mentioned Jungo Road as a route at all means you haven't done any legwork trying to look up stuff on your own. There are so many threads on that road. Go look them up. You will have your answer.

The same thing with your RV. If you rented it, did you ask the place you rented from? If you bought it, surely you would know more about the RV you own than we do?

Radical self-reliance, y'know!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

acoldkiss
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: sparkadia east

Post by acoldkiss » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:30 pm

Hey there badger, let's ease off on the finger pointing. I have definitely looked into it, there are many informative threads, I started one so I could ask questions of fellow burners tailors to my experience. I was planning to drive to Reno and go north from there to pick a friend up from the airpoirt, that first isn't going and I recently got an early access for my crew so yes, last minute I am seeking help from my burners. No need to be grim, but I'm sorry if there was an inconvenience. Sincerely.

The RV is a 1994 29 foot winnebago. It's in good condition. Jungo road is out, debating now going north from Fernley!

mrchiff

Post by mrchiff » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:37 pm

acoldkiss wrote: Jungo road is out, debating now going north from Fernley!
Hooray. That winny would be pretty shaken by the end had you decided to go that route,

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:37 pm

acoldkiss wrote:Hello,

Second time burners and first time RVers.

First question is do we need to do anything to the RV to save the mechanical cogs that make up our RV. Air filters and that stuff. Any advice?

Second we are driving from Vermont. and maps wants us to head EAST from Jungo from Winnemucca. This route looks to shave off about 5 hours of drive time. However is it:

Driveable?
How far is it total?
Does it have gas stations?

Any other advice we would really love!
Hey acoldkiss, welcome to ePlaya.

I'm assuming coming from Vermont that at some point you will be heading West on I-80. If you want to avoid a white knuckled rollercoaster ride & add years to your life avoid the pass heading in to Salt Lake City. I did it in my bus one year & wouldn't do it in a large vehicle ever again. Especially if you are not familiar with your RV or don't know how good the brakes are. I strongly recommend taking the I-84 Bypass. It adds a little time to your trip (not much though) & is a much less steep decent. I take I-84 to Ogden & then take I-15 south to reconnect with I-80.

If you are looking for a side trip check out Antelope Island & float in the Great Salt Lake. It's very nice.

Despite the evil attempts of my GPS trying to kill me I have never been on Jungo road. From what I hear, unless you are actually set up for off road cruising avoid it at all costs. What seems like a short cut could leave you stranded in no-mans land with no way to contact civilization.

Once you get back on I-80 take it all the way to Fernley & then take 477 North. By then you should be in the worlds longest conga line & can just follow all the other burners to Gate.

I hope this helps.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:23 pm

Haha! Yeah, thanks for the white knuckle flashback FM! I've made that descent several times in my heavily loaded pickup on the way to the burn, and fortunately, that was without much traffic each time as it turned out, but still it seemed like a big, bad, somewhat unnerving sweep down the drain. I sure would want to avoid it if I was driving anything larger if I could, especially in traffic or bad weather.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:18 pm

Yeah, I think it would be a blast on my cycle or in a small car, but anything bigger & I'm taking the I-84 route. It's a pretty scenic drive too with a river that meanders along the road for a while. There's even a wayside right next to the river/creek that we've stopped at a few times.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:26 pm

I live very near 84 and 15. 84 is indeed less steep. Echo Canyon is visually stunning, and if you can stop at Devil's Slide, that's interesting. Mouth of the canyon has some high winds, usually in the morning. You can feel it push you. The 84~15 junction ... TAKE IT SLOW ... the caution signs say slow way down, do it! We call the one bridge Applesauce Corner because of all the apple trucks which tip on that curve. One time it was cattle, and that was no good. Slow and steady is best.

I-80 sees lots of big vehicles coming down, tons of big rigs, those big wide sweeps are deceptive because they do not look like they are a steep downward angle. People lose their brakes or go off the road, although more often in winter.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:45 am

AntiM wrote: I-80 sees lots of big vehicles coming down, tons of big rigs, those big wide sweeps are deceptive because they do not look like they are a steep downward angle. People lose their brakes or go off the road, although more often in winter.
Yeah, my first year I went as far as to simulate my drive on Street View & thought "those roads don't look that steep". I found out how wrong that was in person taking my bus down that luge run. Very deceptive. I think the scenery on I-84 beautiful. Last year we hit it at sunset & it was awesome.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:01 am

acoldkiss wrote:... First question is do we need to do anything to the RV to save the mechanical cogs that make up our RV. Air filters and that stuff. Any advice?...
Yes.
Many threads re-addressing various issues, but I can't find the RV thread that discusses everything, including: protecting the interior from playa dust & huge cleanup, how to clean exterior & interior, Reflectix covers taped over the outside of the windows to reduce heat gain, Reflectix on the inside of skylights, having spare filters for everything including generator, minimal shower and/or toilet use, taping over vents and window seams you won't use, clean clothes for trip home in plastic bags inside cabinets that are taped closed to keep playa dust out, etc..

Water: it's lighter (safety, less gas used) to get over the hills if you have minimal water on board. I filled up in Gerlach.
viewtopic.php?f=276&t=78718
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”