transporting gear on playa (from camp to camp)

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
nightflora
Burning Since: 2016

transporting gear on playa (from camp to camp)

Post by nightflora » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:26 pm

Logistical question from a first time Burner, apologies if this has already been asked or belongs elsewhere- ran a search but couldn't find the answer I'm looking for.

I'm hopping a ride with someone to Black Rock City, it would spare both of us from an exhausting 3-day solo drive there. Issue is that he is building a theme camp and needs to enter with early arrival by Saturday, I do not have early arrival access.

Thinking to resolve this by staying overnight in Reno, then catching the Burner Express from the airport in on Sunday once general entry starts-

My question is, how do I transport my gear from his camp (7:00) to mine (3:00)? It's my understanding that driving on the playa is not allowed, and I'll have a significant amount of gear as a solo camper hauling all survival stuff in. Would appreciate any help on this, it would make the entire rest of the plan gel and make for a safer trip for two people-

Thanks in advance!
=)

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Re: transporting gear on playa (from camp to camp)

Post by mudpuppy000 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:45 pm

Driving after the gates open is discouraged but it's not completely forbidden. People still need to drive in to their campsites up until the end of the week, or need to run to gerlach, etc. Just don't speed, drive on Esplanade or A street or the open playa.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:19 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:Driving after the gates open is discouraged but it's not completely forbidden. People still need to drive in to their campsites up until the end of the week, or need to run to gerlach, etc. Just don't speed, and don't drive on Esplanade or A street or the open playa.
Edited for a little clarity

As long as you drive 5mph on the back streets and are actively doing something - like moving your stuff - (not just cruising) you'll be fine. He'll be fine to follow the same rules to get the car back to his camp.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

nightflora
Burning Since: 2016

Post by nightflora » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:41 pm

Thanks Mudpuppy/Eric- you guys have been very helpful. Much appreciated!

ladydex
Burning Since: 2018

Post by ladydex » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:58 pm

Grateful to find this question!!

I’ll be showing up in one RV, camping solo in another area and then departing with a different RV group. So I’ll be in the same boat - needing to get my entire camp set up from E & 6:30 to somewhere around K & 7 to leave on Monday.

Hopefully I can find a ride over coz my shade tent is heavy as a mutha. Plus rebar. Plus all the things 😂

Wish me luck!!

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”