Just booked RV for 2017!!!

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Rusty Needles
Burning Since: 2016

Just booked RV for 2017!!!

Post by Rusty Needles » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:39 pm

We had the best fucken time ever!! My wife Sharon Needles and I (Rusty Needles) can't wait to get back.

It was so sad to leave. We met and hung out with so many great people. Just getting the RV and planning for next year brings the excitement back!

Be sure to book your RV early. Our place said they already had 3 rented for next year.

Rusty

Nacho
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Just booked RV for 2017!!!

Post by Nacho » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:35 pm

Hi, it's nice to heard that you had such a good time there. I've never been but i'm planning when I'm going (It's expensive because I'm from Spain).
Where did you rent the RV? And how much is it?
Thanks man!

tattooedreceptionist
Camp Name: Fhloston Paradise

Post by tattooedreceptionist » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:05 am

SMART MOVE!!! I waited til FEB last year n almost got nothing.

Now if the place you're renting from didn't include BURNING MAN clean up fees, be careful. They know where you're going n some RVs have GPS (I rented one that didn't but the guy sure as hell knew where his RV was for a week). Look into blue tape and how to keep dust out of the vent system. WORTH IT :D
Norma Jean
Don't forget the pantalónes!

NicoleJR
Burning Since: 2017

Post by NicoleJR » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:53 am

Where are you renting from? I've never rented an RV and really do not want to pay over $5,000 for one....any advice will be appreciated! Thank you!!!

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:15 & D

Post by Molotov » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:29 pm

Do you have a way of getting your money back if you are unable to score an entrance ticket? It happens, you know...

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:42 pm

Rusty Needles wrote:We had the best fucken time ever!! My wife Sharon Needles and I (Rusty Needles) can't wait to get back.
Your playa names make me cringe. Well done!
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

tattooedreceptionist
Camp Name: Fhloston Paradise

Post by tattooedreceptionist » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:42 am

Molotov wrote:Do you have a way of getting your money back if you are unable to score an entrance ticket? It happens, you know...
Ask the place before you book, most require a security deposit that is refundable uf you cancel before a certain point...but it'll vary by the place, sooo ask!! Good luck!
Norma Jean
Don't forget the pantalónes!

LukyPhil
Camp Name: Straya

Post by LukyPhil » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:04 am

Aussie Burner coming over for 2017 and I can't get over the level of profiteering going on with RV rentals for the period encompassing burning man. Prices are running at $400 a day on sites such as RV Share, almost beyond the means of most people especially if your traveling in from overseas just for this event.

Happy to report I got an RV in Salt Lake City 14 day for $2500 with insurance but that was a deal made before I picked up the tickets in pre-sale. :mrgreen:

It will be an expensive time for burners who haven't got the RV locked in for 2017.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:08 am

The tiniest violin in the world, which you may mistake for a period on the end of this sentence, is playing for those poor international burners who simply don't have the means to pay for an RV rental to attend some festival in the middle of nowhere, especially after buying pre-sale tickets. Woe is to them!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

LukyPhil

Post by LukyPhil » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:26 am

BBadger wrote:The tiniest violin in the world, which you may mistake for a period on the end of this sentence, is playing for those poor international burners who simply don't have the means to pay for an RV rental to attend some festival in the middle of nowhere, especially after buying pre-sale tickets. Woe is to them!
So you consider $400 a day reasonable?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:32 am

I think he may be saying a tent is lot cheaper.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:32 am

LukyPhil wrote:
I certainly do. Most people won't rent an RV as a single. If it's four people, then it's only $100/day. It's all perspective. Some people will say, "You paid $425 for a party in the desert?" where I'd say "I paid $1 for 425 parties in the desert."

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:07 am

LukyPhil wrote:
BBadger wrote:The tiniest violin in the world, which you may mistake for a period on the end of this sentence, is playing for those poor international burners who simply don't have the means to pay for an RV rental to attend some festival in the middle of nowhere, especially after buying pre-sale tickets. Woe is to them!
Doesn't sound out of line to me. Oh and BTW, what do you expect the RV Rental places are going to do? It's called SUPPLY AND DEMAND. They know the dates for BM and price them out accordingly. Just like hotels do at certain times. And I did have to laugh when I read you had bought pre-sale. I completely understand why you would, coming from so far away, but to then complain about the price of RV's feels a bit disingenuous to me. I'd say just be glad you have both in hand at this moment. Most others are not so lucky.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

VgKing
Burning Since: 2002

Post by VgKing » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:13 am

It's a bit too early to be planning for your December holiday don't you think?

LukyPhil

Post by LukyPhil » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:13 pm

Just to clarify my question of if $400 per day is reasonable was in relation to the doubling of prices by private owners who rent out there RV’s on sites such as RV Share, it was not intended as a price comparison for commercial RV rental companies. Thanks everybody for the local prospective.

Bearing in mind that I’m trekking in from Australia; My personal experience with renting an RV for 2017 was that making a deal for the RV in 2016, paying $2500 up front with a 50% cancelation fee and a guarantee of tickets in the pre-sale is superior to the possibility of tickets in the main sale then paying $5000 for an RV in a high demand season.

Now I know anything positive said about pre-sale is fighting words to the ePaya townsfolk but I feel it’s the way to go especially if coming in from overseas.

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Post by JayBobBoy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:39 pm

Hi LukyPhil,
I bring my old travel trailer with me each time I go. It's an old piece of shit I bought and refurbished for the family. We dragged it all over the country before I took it to BM and I'll tell you what...the ten days I spend on the Playa are harder on my rig than any roadtrip I've ever taken.

That being said, private owners who rent their rigs are not really keen on you taking it to the desert for BM. And if they do let you rent it, I don't blame them one bit for getting top dollar.

There may be a bit of gouging going on, but it seems like those prices are a reasonable "wear and tear" upcharge to me. Chances are the've rented it before and that's why you see the price so high.

One thing I've learned over the years is that ANY vehicle taken to the playa for a few days or more...will NEVER be the same again!

Best of luck!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:50 pm

I just checked RV prices in the Seattle area...about $400-$450 a day for a small Class C. I was paying about that much in my rental RV days 8-10 years ago. Loaded that baby up with 8-10 travelers sharing the cost...made it affordable, but being camp Mom was no picnic.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Raoul
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Honest MiSteak

Post by Raoul » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:04 am

We rent out of Portland and are at just under $400 per day for a large Class A. We've been renting from the same place for several years now, so they take care of us. Even still, I think full freight wouldn't be much less than $425 per day. For those coming from outside the US, keep in mind that Burning Man also crosses a holiday weekend that, for many, is sort of a last hurrah of summer. With so many other attractions in that part of the country, Burning Man isn't the only placing higher than usual demand on RV rentals. Just be glad you're not stuck trying to rent one in Reno.
"No problem is ever solved in the same consciousness that was used to create it." --Albert Einstein

Honest MiSteak: 2018
Hookah Lounge\Black Rock Power Co-op: 2014 - 2017

moonshinethemermaid

Post by moonshinethemermaid » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:44 am

[quote="LukyPhil"]Aussie Burner coming over for 2017 and I can't get over the level of profiteering going on with RV rentals for the period encompassing burning man. Prices are running at $400 a day on sites such as RV Share, almost beyond the means of most people especially if your traveling in from overseas just for this event.

Happy to report I got an RV in Salt Lake City 14 day for $2500 with insurance but that was a deal made before I picked up the tickets in pre-sale. :mrgreen:

It will be an expensive time for burners who haven't got the RV locked in for 2017.[/quote]

Where did you rent from??

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”