2017 Travel Logistics

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
sdudzic
Burning Since: 2017

2017 Travel Logistics

Postby sdudzic » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:57 am

I will be flying in to Reno from Connecticut and intend on taking the Burner Bus.

Questions:
- Should I fly in the opening day and take the bus straight from the airport?
- Should I arrive early and buy a bike or try an use a commuter/fold up bike?
- For those that took the burner bus, how far do you have to carry your bags from the bus to the camp location? (thinking 2/3 bags plus bike = a couple trips)

Any other recommendations/trips for making the journey from the east coast is most welcome. Thanks in advance

-Steve

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: 2017 Travel Logistics

Postby Ratty » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:05 am

sdudsic welcome to eplaya. There are several informative threads on how to get you and your stuff from point A to point B. Search this site using a search engine like google. the search function here isn't so effective. After you get off the bus at the event there is a shuttle bus to take you most of the way to your camp. Then feel free to ask people to watch your bags at their camp and make a couple of trips. A sturdy rolling carry-on can be a big help.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:16 am

I have heard of Burner Express people using a roll-up flexible sled (basically just a sheet of strong plastic) or a tarp. Pile everything on it and drag to your destination. Small wheels are difficult on the playa.

sdudzic
Burning Since: 2017

Postby sdudzic » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:15 am

Good call maladroit thanks!

danibel
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby danibel » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:24 am

I recommend flying in a day or two early. This will give you some extra time to shop/pack and prepare in Reno instead of rushing in on a bus. Maybe rent a car for day and find a friend to shop with (always funner with friends!).

If course this is dependent on being able to take the extra days off work. I highly recommend a day or two on the back end in Reno before flying home. Showers and a meal are sooooo welcomed after a week in the dust. Plus, sometimes plans don't work well (traffic, gate closures, ect) and having an extra day for what may come up is invaluable. Keep your re-entry as stressless as possible and take that extra day or two in Reno to decompress/shower/eat/sleep.
In dust we trust.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Postby VultureChow » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:37 am

Welcome fellow East Coast Burner!

Indeed the logistics of long distance burning add an additional challenge, but there are great resources here to help. Let me start off by answering your questions:

1)If time and money allow, absolutely plan for an overnight stay in Reno before you get on that bus. Even though flying out we don't lose much time in flight, when you roll into BRC at 8pm, that will be 11pm our time and you will be exhausted. Get a nice fresh start if you can.

My first year I made the mistake of trying to get all my flyin, shopping and driving done in one day. Never again if I can help it.

2) I wouldn't recommend a commuting bike. Or buying one really. There are a number of on playa camps that will rent you a bike for the week. Some of them are quite reputable (and naked). You can pay attention as the event gets closer for reservations.

3) I've never seen the sled thing done, but I have seen the fold up luggage cart and rolling bags. There is now a shuttle within the city that will take you closer to your final destination.

For two EXCELLENT posts on using Burner Express, let me suggest these:

viewtopic.php?t=71830#p1043968

viewtopic.php?f=286&t=76278&start=30#p1124834

Any other questions, just ask. You can PM me if you want. We're a crusty bunch, but each helpful in our own way.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:47 pm

Remember, Burning Man is not a destination, it is a journey.

Book a room on way in, way out.

Uber is your friend.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”