Traveling From the East Coast

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Sarah143
Burning Since: 2017

Traveling From the East Coast

Post by Sarah143 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:07 pm

Hi Everyone: I'm 35 years old & planning to make my first trip to Burning Man in 2017!! I live in Philly, USA. I wanted to know if anyone who has traveled from the East Coast had any advice. Such as: Where to fly into, how to rent an RV, how can you join a camp, etc. Also, i heard it's hard to get tickets...any tips? I've recently started a spiritual journey and i'm looking forward to experiencing Burning Man!! (/|\)

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Traveling From the East Coast

Post by BBadger » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:06 pm

Try searching for "East coast" on the forum. There is a lot of info. Radical self-reliance and all that.

I will say this: if you want an RV, you should to consider flying into some city farther than the adjacent cities (Reno, San Francisco, etc.) and obtaining and driving the RV from there. It'll take more time, but RVs in nearby cities are generally booked early and not available around that time. Also don't be a dick and return the RV dusty and shitty, or you'll ruin it for other burners.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:28 pm

Welcome to Eplaya.

As mentioned above there are a few existing threads about this as well as about joini9ng a camp.

The later you book your RV the further away you will need to pick it up. At this point you may have trouble finding one within a few hundred miles of the burn.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:06 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:24 am

Hello and welcome! Feel free to circle on back to the greeter's station if you'd like to post a bit more of an introduction, but I'm giving this a nudge over to the Bikes & Transportation board, since that's a better fit for discussions about transportation logistics. You'll find more info about tickets here, and the board should hopefully have loads of information that will help you plan your adventure.

Ann_Vader
Burning Since: 2016

Post by Ann_Vader » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:41 pm

There is a pretty big burner community in Philly. PEX does a lot of parties, you have the Space Pirates and someone from one of those groups or their friends does a container truck out of Philly to the playa. Then you fly, burner bus, maybe burner bus to Walmart for food, and pick up your stuff on the playa at the container.

RVs these guys can tell you about.

Leap
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Big Puffy Yellow

Post by Leap » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:57 am

Consider going to the PEX event this Saturday on the Battleship New Jersey.

Also, the Philly community sends containers to the playa every year. You can ship some of your heavier items out there. For your first burn, you might want to get a tent and keep it simple.

Straightveg
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Straightveg » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:00 am

East coaster checking in! I went for the first time in 2012, finally going back for my second burn this year. I flew in to Reno and rented a box truck from the folks at the Budget on Gentry Way (burner friendly business, positive experience with them, would recommend) and just camped in the back. It was cheaper and easier than trying to find an RV, and I didn't have to be panicky about tracking dust everywhere. Back in the day (around 2012+) there was a big and quite helpful thread about box truck camping that seems to have gone down the memory hole now that I'm looking for it. For something somewhat similar, check out the advice over in this thread. I didn't join a camp my first year (woo, solo camping!) so no advice there other than know that you don't *need* to camp with others unless you want to. If you do decide to look for a camp check out this post and this site. Tickets are hard. You've already missed the presale, the (expensive!) easy way to get tickets. Low income ticket applications open soon, then there's the main sale, STEP, and the OMG sale later. If you haven't visited http://tickets.burningman.org/ recently, or http://ticketsupport.burningman.org/ or signed up for the Jackrabbit Speaks Newsletter here yet, do it now. As for the spiritual journey, there are camps out there for that. I'd hazard a guess that the theme for this year (Radical Ritual) is especially conducive to personally meaningful spiritual experiences in the dust. Also read the first timers guide and the survival guide, and keep lurking the forums. Don't mind the trolls.
Good luck, and I hope to see you in the dust.
Black Rock City or and Bust Dust!
torrey.smith wrote: As they say, make a man a fire and you warm him for a night. Set a man on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life. (Or was it a fish?)
-Sarge

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”