Spirit Airlines Warning

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
PlayaPatrol

Spirit Airlines Warning

Post by PlayaPatrol » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:28 am

Spirit Airlines has a terrible record of low performance for delayed and cancelled flights. It also nickel and dimes and bait and switches for all services. For example they charge for water. If you want to sit next to your loved one they charge for that. Free carry on is the size of a loaf of bread. Even after you pay for extras there is a high likelihood of a cancelled or delayed flight. Before buying please read the many bad online reviews. In the end Spirit costs more and delivers less then a real established airline. This warning isn't just for Burners. It's for all travelers. Spirit is a 4th class airline. Please spread the word.
Anyone taking offence at anything in my posts - tough. It's only an internet forum. Stop being overly sensitive. you are shallow and banal. Eplayans who spend hours a day posting need to make in person friends and mentally masturbate less.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Spirit Airlines Warning

Post by maladroit » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:06 am

Oh absolutely. I think this is especially good info for international travelers, as they might not have heard about this.

Some people convince themselves the extra fees etc are OK. But it's hard to convince yourself that the delays are OK. I've been on two Spirit flights...which was one round-trip ticket. It was delayed 8 hours both ways and they were booting people off the second plane in order to wait for the next morning's flight (which was chronically delayed until the evening). I talked to people in the waiting area who had unluckily gotten booted off multiple flights and had been in the airport for 30 hours. This was not during a heavy travel season and there was no bad weather in the whole country.

The great part is that they act like they're doing you a favor to "let" you get on the next flight. Because the contract allows them to fully cancel a flight and they DO NOT HAVE TO REFUND YOU. So they can cancel 50% of their flights, jam-pack every plane, and anyone who can't take it anymore is still money in the bank.

One illustration of the extra fees, though. If you have a carry-on (normal size that fits in overhead) you can pay $35 to $45 to check it in before getting to the airport. If you check it at the Spirit ticket counter, it's $55. If you just roll it up to the gate, they'll charge you $100. For checked luggage, it's $30 to $50 for one bag depending on when you check it in.

Oh I forgot to mention: That's one way. So if you're doing round-trip, you pay the above fees twice. For my flight I had a carry-on and a suitcase. I booked it ahead of time and therefore paid ($35 + $30) * 2 = $130 on top of my ticket price. But if I didn't know to check in the bags online and didn't realize I had to purchase carry-on permission (you know, handle things at the ticket counter like most experienced travelers), I could have paid ($100 + $50) * 2 = $300 on top of my ticket price.

So Spirit currently has a round-trip flight for PDX-Vegas for $77. The closest competitor is Alaska (which is pretty good in my experience) at $145. Why not save 70 bucks, right? Or even more with Virgin charging $200. But Alaska lets you have a free carry-on and charges $25 for a checked bag. Assuming we did everything right, Alaska will cost $165 and Spirit will cost $207. If we did everything wrong (by assuming a normal airline checkin process) Spirit will cost $377.

And then you get on a cattle car with three inches less legroom than economy class on other airlines, in a plane that is about 30% full of children, who get to watch someone collapse in the aisle and have to receive CPR after OD-ing in the bathroom.

I spoke to several other passengers who were on their first flight with Spirit who vowed it was also their last.

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:47 pm

Good to know! Thanks, Maladroit!
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:13 pm

I've flown Spirit a couple of times now. I was searching for flights from Los Angeles to Cleveland and Spirit came up the cheapest rate by far. So, knowing nothing else about them, I bought the ticket. I had my normal size carry-on bag and was totally shocked to find I had to pay $100.00 to take it on the plane. OK, live and learn. So after boarding, I went to recline the seat and it wouldn't recline. So I called the flight attendant over to tell her that my seat must be broken because it wouldn't recline and she explained that they don't recline. I was livid.

So I just decided to get drunk and sleep through the flight as best I could. You paid for everything you requested, even non-alcoholic beverages. But I had no choice and just go with the flow best I could. The did offer discounts for ordering things in quantity so, I ordered the maximum number of bottles of wine that I could, which was three. I drink red wine and wouldn't you know it, they came back with one bottle and said that they didn't have any more red. :(

I needed to go the restroom, so when they turned off the seat-belt light I called the attendant over to ask how much that was going to cost me. Fortunately, it was the only free service available on the plane and of course, they have heard that question from about a million people before me, so my joke question fell flat. :(

So, I too vowed to never fly them again and bought the big reclining seat option and paid for my "oversized" bag for the return trip.

Both flights were on time, and on the return trip I started thinking about why the flight was so miserable and the answer was that I didn't know and didn't prepare properly. So, the next time I had to go to Cleveland, I booked with them again--and again paid for no extras.

However, this time I was prepared. I bought a carry on bag that was exactly within their size requirements, I bought a pillow that could be tied around the back of the seat to that you could actually sleep leaning in any direction including forward and sleep comfortably. I studied their in-inflight menu and knew exactly what I was going to order. I also download an entire season of a TV show to binge watch on the flight.

Again, the flight was on time. I knew what to expect and was prepared--no surprises this trip. And to pay less than $60.00 for round trip to Cleveland was way worth it.

Now if I were going on a vacation for pleasure and relaxation, I'd use for a different airline with more amenities and pay the higher price, but for going to Cleveland to visit with family, Spirit is well worth it.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

PlayaPatrol

Post by PlayaPatrol » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:43 pm

If we had gotten to the destination on time I wouldnt have posted. We were scheduled on a Red-Eye flight from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. We had one connecting flight in Las Vegas. The day we were set to leave, I received notification that our outgoing flight was delayed while our connecting flight was on time. The outgoing flight, in fact, was so severely delayed that there was no possible way we would be able to make our connecting flight. Concerned, I first called the airline directly to see if they could arrange an alternative route that would still get us into Fort Lauderdale the following morning. Unfortunately, there were no other viable options. We were told we could either take the flight to Las Vegas and see what could be done for us there, or cancel the trip and receive full reimbursement. We did not want to take the chance on being stuck in Las Vegas, so we opted to book a flight with another airline and cancel the flight with Spirit for a full refund.
Surprisingly, Spirit air refused to cancel our trip and reimburse us over the phone. They insisted that we could only do this at the airport, in person. I must have argued with them and begged and pleaded that they just cancel the flight over the phone for 30 minutes, but they refused and insisted we cancel at the airport. Finally, I relented and said that we would do as instructed, but before hanging up I asked for assurance that the airline would indeed cancel and refund the trip without penalty. We were assured that this would be the case.
So, we play their game and get to the airport, arriving early so as to give us a large window of time in which to wait in line and cancel out our flight. At the ticket kiosk, we presented our boarding passes, explained the problem, and requested a cancellation and refund. We were then told that no refund would be given because, as it so happened, all flights were now on time and we would be able to make our connecting flight. We were perplexed as to how a flight which, only moments ago, was delayed for over an hour could suddenly now be on time. They explained that the plane had been switched out and everything was fine. Still, we were shaken by the earlier delays and we expressed concern that the flight might somehow again be delayed, so we again requested the cancellation and full refund. A supervisor was brought out to speak to us. He heard our concerns, we told him that we had a separate flight with another airline all set to go and that had no delays, and we wanted to cancel out the Spirit flight and take the separate flight since we felt safer going with the other airline. He reassured us, over and over again, that our flight was on time and would not possibly be delayed. He expressed full confidence that the plane would go out on time and there was nothing to worry about. Moreover, as the flight was scheduled to go out on time and there was no delay, the best he could offer us was a credit towards Spirit airlines good for 60 days only. No refund whatsoever.
This violates Spirit contract of carriage.
We then asked him what would happen if our flight suddenly got delayed and caused us to miss our connecting flight, and this is where he blatantly lied to our faces: he told us that if that should happen, the connecting flight would wait for us. He insisted that the connecting flight would be held and would not leave without us. Feeling somewhat better due to his confidence and his insistance that no plane would leave without us, we agreed to keep the Spirit flight and we cancelled the backup flight we had set up with the other airline.

Long story short, not only was our flight delayed, the connecting flight would not wait an additional 15 minutes which is all that would be needed to just make our connection. Twenty others on our flight needed to make that connection. Our flight would literally be touching down in Las Vegas about 15 minutes before the connecting flight was scheduled to take off. We begged and pleaded that they hold the connecting flight a little while as was promised to us to no avail. We were told that we would miss our connecting flight and the most that Spirit would do for us was cancel our trip and refund us (which is what we had originally asked for, many times, in the first place). To our chagrin, it was too late to try to make the flight with the other airline as the airport was close to shutting down. Had they just let us do what we had wanted to do when we first approached them at the airport, we would have made our trip and disaster would have been avoided altogether. Due to their greed, they preferred to lie to our faces in order to prevent us from cancelling our flight with them. I love saving money but don't need the stress and hardship with being stranded. We will never fly with them.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:54 pm

Must be especially frustrating for a guy who gets pissed off because people in trucks & trailers don't drive 70 MPH on HWY 447.
Or is it karma?
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:41 pm

Oh Captain you are such an asshole. I love you.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

SnowBlind

Post by SnowBlind » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:15 pm

Elderberry wrote:I needed to go the restroom, so when they turned off the seat-belt light I called the attendant over to ask how much that was going to cost me.
You joke, but IIRC Ryan Air actually tried to do that a few years ago. The backlash was harsh and immediate, and they ended up backpedaling, but the way airlines are going I am not going to be surprised when the day arrives that they start doing it.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:01 pm

I think some of the toilet use charge was to encourage flyers to empty their bladders prior to boarding the flight, conserving fuel. I'm sure that even if airlines continued to charge fees for toilet use that people would find other creative measures to dispose of their urine out of necessity or protest.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:55 am

Over the years, Spirit has worked to get publicity, good and bad, by advertising using current controversial events.

In 2006, the airline released a “Hunt for Hoffa” advertising campaign with the tagline “Help us find Hoffa with our Hunt for Hoffa game and enjoy fares from just $39 each way.” The point of the game was to dig for Jimmy Hoffa’s body by clicking grids on the airline’s website, and “winners” were taken to another webpage, saying "You found Hoffa!" thanking them for assisting the National Spirit Sale Center find the union leader’s body.[46] Within hours of the campaign debuting, the airline received a large number of complaints. The promotion was quickly taken down and changed to another promotion, simply titled Happy Sale. This promotion was later listed as #8 on CNN Money’s 101 Dumbest Moments in Business that year.[47]

In December 2007, the airline released a sale with the acronym MILF, standing for “Many Islands, Low Fares.” Online and TV media picked up on this and noted that MILF was popularized in the movie American Pie. This controversy was covered on CBS and ABC News, Countdown with Keith Olbermann, and The O'Reilly Factor.[48]

In April 2008, the airline sent an email to its marketing subscription list announcing “We’re having a threesome. Join us in the fun.” Offering "three sales in one," the email repeatedly proposes the "threesome."[49]

On January 8, the airline reintroduced the MILF Special, described as meaning "Many Islands, Low Fares".

On December 2, shortly after a well publicized car accident involving golfer Tiger Woods, Spirit launched lowered fares in a promotion called the "Eye of the Tiger Sale". Imagery for the campaign featured an SUV crashing into a fire hydrant, with a tiger leaning out the driver's side window.[50]

On February 2, the airline offered the "Many Unbelievably Fantastic Fares (MUFF) to Diving Destinations" promotion. Many of their prominent Caribbean or Floridian destinations were featured.

On June 22, the airline offered the "Check Out The Oil On Our Beaches" promotion. The ad was in reference to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, the largest in United States history.[51]

On August 12, the airline offered the "Don't Be Blue, Slide Down To Low Fares with Double Fisted Savings". The ad was in reference to an incident aboard a jetBlue flight where a flight attendant deployed an emergency slide and left the aircraft with two bottles of beer. Imagery for the ad featured an opened aircraft door and a flight attendant going down an emergency slide with two beer bottles.[52]

On January 12, the airline offered a promotion entitled "Free at Last! Free at Last! Air travel is Free at Last!", which applied for travel the following weekend, celebrating the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Spirit made a "Go south" Valentine's Day themed ad showing a woman in a bikini and placed a candy heart with the initial "VD" on her crotch, poking fun at venereal disease.

Shortly afterwards, Spirit made another Valentine's themed ad comparing a diamond ring to vacation packages (while saying "Why not slip her a big package") then showing a gift box directly in front of a man's crotch.

On June 7, amidst the Anthony Weiner Twitter photo scandal, Spirit offered "The Weiner Sale: With Fares Too HARD To Resist." The email promotion included the subject line "Want To See Our Weiner?"

Spirit capitalized on the Summit of the Americas prostitution scandal by featuring an advert with women in pink bikinis, around an agent implying secrecy, and the slogan "More Bang for your Buck" for flights to Cartagena, Colombia – the location of the scandal – as well as other destinations. Colombian officials complained, and Spirit removed the ad after its scheduled 36-hour run.[53]

In November 2013, Spirit advertised flights to the Greater Toronto area (Niagara Falls NY) using an ad reading "Flights to Toronto for $29.99, we're not smoking crack." This campaign was launched following Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's admission to smoking crack cocaine, along with many other behavioral issues that got media attention across Canada and the United States.
Frida Be You & Me

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:01 am

some of those are funny.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

silvergirl70
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Freestyle Palace

Post by silvergirl70 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:10 pm

Spirit definitely is the worst of the worst. I use them ONLY if I need a quick jaunt from A to B without luggage or schtuff. I feel they suck in general. They aren't even as bad a People's Express (OK, I'm dating myself) where you paid for the ticket while you were on board. Ha.
We all have stories about the airlines. I've had shitty service (almost always pre flight) from the major carriers, even when I point out the 500,000 actual flight miles I might have with them. They are interested in the corporate accounts, not the private payor individual flyer.

I find that when hauling a lot of stuff, better to avoid the airlines with the hidden fees and nickel and dimers, e.g. Spirit. They are much more likely to WANT to fuck you at the drive thru.

I try to pay a little extra to do curbside check-in when my bags are close to or over that 50 lb mark (a secret toe at the edge of the bag lifting it up off the scale a bit doesn't hurt). The curbside guys will let some things slide with a $5+tip. This is better than oversized bag fees. The usual check in people tend to be automatons and can't/won't deviate from an algorithm (except the management, who usually are pretty cool).

I also found (accidentally, actually) that bringing a bag of wrapped treats (e.g. chocolates, dried fruits, teas and stuff) for the flight staff gets you some nice perks. They work hard and never really get the appreciation. I write my name and seat # on the bag and thank them for their hard work.

It's a quid pro quo world out there, but you definitely catch more flies with honey.
:coffee: Never play leapfrog with unicorn. :coffee:

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:41 pm

silvergirl70 wrote:I use them ONLY if I need a quick jaunt from A to B without luggage or schtuff.
That's really what it's there for. It's just funny that people expect great service from a bottom-of-the-barrel priced product.

"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

mentalfloss
Burning Since: 2014

Post by mentalfloss » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:17 am

why do i see this thread now ? when i just bought a Spirit Airlines ticket for LAX -> PDX (Portland), to arrive for the shuttle bus to the Oregon Eclipse festival.

i paid for the carry-on bag and check-in bag, but from this thread, i am dreading my decision altogether...and may need to fork out the penalty for not having luggage that fit their "template sizes".

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:06 pm

There is a significant chance that you will miss the eclipse. My recommendation is to fix the problem, rather than say "oh well, how bad could it really be?" There is a chance you'll make it there on time. It's not odds I would play, considering that they can't avoid huge flight delays or cancellations even during times when millions of people aren't flying to the West Coast that same weekend.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:46 am

Mmm yeah, don't let one bad ingredient spoil the whole broth.

PlayaPatrol

Post by PlayaPatrol » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:58 am

Small claims court date approaching in case against spirit. Will update later. If you place zero value on your time fly spirit
Anyone taking offence at anything in my posts - tough. It's only an internet forum. Stop being overly sensitive. you are shallow and banal. Eplayans who spend hours a day posting need to make in person friends and mentally masturbate less.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”