Burner Air Express - Now Open and Taking Reservations.

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:59 pm

If you are flying a commercial airline into Reno or other selected cities in California, Burning Mans own Burner Air Express is now open and taking reservations for one way and round trip flights to the playa.

One way from Reno is only $265 and round trip from Reno is $495. I doubt that you could rent a vehicle at the Reno airport for a week-plus for very much less than that.

With between 3,000 - 5,000 Burners expected to arrive on the playa via Burner Air Express this year, that number of Burners frees up a measurable number of Vehicle Passes for those who are arriving via personal transportation and need a Vehicle Pass.

Most all of your questions can be answered here:
https://burnerexpress.burningman.org/bu ... t-bookings
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Burner Air Express - Now Open and Taking Reservations.

Post by lucky420 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:54 pm

:lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:44 pm

Never mind, of course, that the form of transportation a person chooses to use to arrive and depart the playa has jack squat to do with whether and how much that person contributes to the event.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:50 am

You'd be surprised to know which eplayans have to use the flights because some years time and circumstance dictate they cannot drive in. There's levels and layers and nuances, some burners have built social capital which can provide what cannot be hauled themselves, and people need to not act like sanctimonious jerks. We all know there's no One True Way to Burn.

A horse trailer can haul workhorses and mustangs as easily as sparkleponies.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:00 am

Here is a fun article about the history of the airport:

http://www.airspacemag.com/flight-today ... -19858092/

The Burner Bus and Burner Air are the strategy being used to lift the population cap above 70K in future years. That is because the Nevada State Patrol limits exodus traffic to 1000? vehicles per hour for safety reasons. In 2015 6200 used air or bus. The organizers are offering 1000 tickets to bus burners. A wild ass guess would be more than 8K using the bus or air in 2017. The interesting data would be how many bus and air burners return beyond year one and participate in regionals. If the Org were smart, they would build a lightweight ticketing infrastructure built on burner profiles to the regionals at no charge.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:29 am

The Black Rock City Municipal Airport has come a long way.

Several thousand Burners who drive/truck in through the main gate prefer to camp out there on acres and acres of free and open camping area; instead of camping in the City.

There is even a membership based them camp (Black Rock Travel Agency) that has a Thursday morning Pancake Breakfast and a Saturday open bar -- to which the whole City is invited to attend.

Airport website:
http://airport.burningman.org

Black Rock Travel Agency website:
http://blackrocktravelagency.com
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:59 am

AntiM wrote:You'd be surprised to know which eplayans have to use the flights because some years time and circumstance dictate they cannot drive in. There's levels and layers and nuances, some burners have built social capital which can provide what cannot be hauled themselves, and people need to not act like sanctimonious jerks. We all know there's no One True Way to Burn.
How wonderful that each of us can have a different opinion. One person can look at a Commodified Service which allows non-contributors to pay Other People to compensate for their lack of interest in the Ten Principles, while some of us fund, plan, build, pack, drive, wait, build, run, deconstruct, re-pack, de-moop, drive home and store absolutely everything that IS Black Rock City.

Some others of us pay somebody else to place and clean their RVs on site, rent water delivery and grey water pick-up, private toilets, rented bicycles, rented art cars, rented costumes, paid staff, paid chefs, paid photographers and paid "experience concierges".

You can stand up and praise the Airport all you like, claiming "there are many ways to burn" and those of us who ACTUALLY make it happen are "sanctimonious jerks".

And I can stand up and say to vets and virgins alike, those people are useless takers, contributing nothing.

If you and Paris Hilton and Default World EDM DJ and P Diddy can't make it to the burn under your own power, tough, Don't go. Save that ticket for someone who is actually contributing.

Yes, to all the opinions!

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:23 am

This has nothing to do with the airport bringing different people in. Anyone can fly in, as do many hundreds of private pilots who can camp right at the airport and by their planes. These are just regular, participating burners.

If it's anger against wealthy people coming to BM, you get people driving in with 40 foot motor homes worth more than many real homes. You can rage at some of the larger RV's.

Then you have the Burner Bus, which brings people in for a fee. That bus gets to use a different entrance and skip the long lines. Most of the people on the bus have other camp mates bring the heavy infrastructure. The bus doesn't allow for larger loads, just suitcases and basic supplies.

I'm not sure what the gripe is. Is it the fast mode of transportation? The cost of it? Skipping the gate line? Hate/anger/rage/jealously of people you perceive to be rich?

Personally, I don't think it's the ultra-wealthy taking the Burner Air Express. It's the moderate burners who can afford the reasonable ticket price and are possibly short on time to drive.

I think you are a bit misdirected in your anger of planes. You might want to shake your fist at the more luxurious planes with less passenger seats.

As far as the airport itself goes, that is an amazing asset of BRC and it needs volunteers to staff it so it can be just another portal to the city. This helps cut down on traffic, so the poor commoners don't have to wait in line so long.

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:26 am

Thank you for your opinion. It is different than mine. Here's mine:

Decommodification matters. Radical Self-reliance matters. Airline passengers don't care about either of those. The Commercial airport should simply charge fees to the Parasite Class who fly in while others do their work, and pay employees to further their Premium Luxury Experience. Do not expect Burners to volunteer for other people's Commodified Experience.

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:15 am

Meat Hunter wrote:The Black Rock City Municipal Airport has come a long way.

Several thousand Burners who drive/truck in through the main gate prefer to camp out there on acres and acres of free and open camping area; instead of camping in the City.

There is even a membership based them camp (Black Rock Travel Agency) that has a Thursday morning Pancake Breakfast and a Saturday open bar -- to which the whole City is invited to attend.

Airport website:
http://airport.burningman.org

Black Rock Travel Agency website:
http://blackrocktravelagency.com

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:43 am

While I think there is some truth to what Chowski has said, I don't believe you should paint everyone with such a broad brush. From what I read in Chowski's postings you either bring it all with you, you do it all yourself, and take it all out on your own or you're not a true burner. I bring it all with me, set up my own camp, and bring it all back out, but I have my art trucked in by others. Have I violated sacred rules? I have bought fuel out on the playa to keep my lights working on my art. Is that wrong? I am using extremes here, but my point is only that it is a slippery slope to judge and decide who's "doing it right." I am not a fan of plug and play and I do think there are definite abuses by people who really are just well heeled spectators. But I do believe there are plenty of people who contribute mightily to the Burn's success who may not follow the exacting rules Chowski espouses. And to me, that's fine.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:19 am

Meanwhile, this is a transportation thread, where things about transportation and getting people transported.

When it turns into a philosophical discussion about how much people within different modes of transportation make, and how much they contribute, and whether one class considers them burners or not, then it's no longer a transportation thread.

This topic will probably need to be split and recategorized.

kenbrand
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Cirque Gitane

Post by kenbrand » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:56 am

What AboutThis: Radical Inclusion
Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community.

And This: Radical Self-reliance
Burning Man encourages the individual to discover, exercise and rely on his or her inner resources.

Ummmm, I'm flying in. I live in Texas, not as far away as many. I wish I could, but I can't take two weeks off to drive out and back. So I practice a little self-reliance, using my inner and outer resources, and figure out how to get me, and my stuff there. I fly to Reno, then the Playa to meet up with my daughter. I mail all my stuff to her and she includes it with her stuff when she drives out from Cali. I don't think I'm an asshole because of that. Our camp provides, music, open bar every day from 11am to 2pm and 10pm to 2amish. We're wide open sharing. If we meet and chat, you may come to the conclusion that I'm an asshole, hopefully not, but then it would be based in your-truth, not prejudice.

Personally, I don't care how someone arrives and experiences their first, fifth or thirtieth Burn. If you somehow get there, welcome and congratulations, you're a rare cat. Hat tip.

Last year due to flight delays out of Houston, etc., when I got to the Burner Express airport that last plane of the day had left. There were three of us, strangers all, stranded. We called Uber and Ubered out from Reno, arrived about 11:30pm Sunday night in a raging dust storm, no line. It was an awesome ride out and in. After we arrived at the gate, a beautiful young couple in an RV let us hop a ride past the gate an into wonderland. Fyi, you can't walk in. One of our three had just flown in from Europe and he HAD to be at his camp that night (Sunday) because he was the head sound technician/engineer for the camp Star/Star and they need to be ready to roll Monday. He wasn't an asshole, he was a volunteer busting his ass, flying across the planet to get where he need to be so he could create gifts for everyone else.

Criticize, judge, diminish others, it's sorta common defacto real world behavior. One of the most remarkable things I experience at BM is the lack of competition, judgment and prejudice.

This will be my 3rd glorious year. What I've learned from the people I talk to about their experience is that generally, nobody has any real idea what it's all about until their first Burningman has ended. After the first time, most have their eyes, minds and hearts opened and future trips grow their behaviors/beliefs/actions/participations and attitudes towards others to incorporate the Principles into their future visits. Like Radical Inclusion for example. Me too.

Can't wait till August, hopefully I'll magically bump into some of you. High-fives, smiles and big hugs all around.

Papa Bear
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:47 pm

Chowski wrote:
You can stand up and praise the Airport all you like, claiming "there are many ways to burn" and those of us who ACTUALLY make it happen are "sanctimonious jerks".

And I can stand up and say to vets and virgins alike, those people are useless takers, contributing nothing.
Sure you can say that, but it doesn't mean you're right.

I’ve never come to the playa in anything other than my own personal vehicle. I’ve never stayed in an RV. When I've shared meals as part of a camp, they’ve generally been meals I’ve helped prepare. When I’ve enjoyed a shower in a camp, it’s in a structure I helped build, and produces gray water I’ve helped plan for and participated in getting rid of. I've never had water delivered or used a gray water service. With the exception of handing someone a can of beer now and then, every gift I’ve given has been one of my own time and labor. I've never even been part of a camp that did a fundraiser - they've all been self-supported.

That said, I have also hauled gear for others who came in on the bus or plane. I've worked with others who've come in from even further afield, sending their gear ahead in either a shared camp trailer or a regional shipping container, flying commercial to Reno, and using one of the Burner Express options for the last leg in or out... and *all* of them have been contributors to the event.

In fact, the only perceptible difference it made to their contribution was that they were able to spend *more* time contributing on playa because they didn't have to drive their stuff out over long distances themselves, that they didn't use up another of the limited number of vehicle passes, and that they didn't contribute to more traffic on 447. They gave more gifts, they built more art, they did more ranger shifts - all because they were able to take advantage of another transportation option.

It is the height of hubris to suggest that since those people didn't haul every bit of gear they used personally, that they somehow aren't the people who really contribute and make the event happen. It's utterly ridiculous to accuse them of not caring about radical self-reliance, decommodification, community effort, or any of the other ten principles. Some of them have been coming since well before those principles were codified, meaning they helped create the very culture the principles attempt to describe, and that you are so passionately convinced you are defending.

Sure, you can espouse your opinion however you like - radical self-expression, baby. You can be a legend in your own mind, and revel in delusions of your own supreme importance to the event. You can dismiss the contributions of people you've never met and know nothing about. You can argue that it's better for someone flying in from the east coast to rent a car they don't need than to catch a Burner Express Air flight at similar cost. You can even rail against a single mother who buys, restores, and tows out a 45-year-old trailers for her and her teenagers to stay in on-playa. That's all within your rights.

You can have those opinions. Just don't expect any of us to respect them, because they're complete bullshit.

Eric
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:40 pm

kenbrand wrote:Criticize, judge, diminish others, it's sorta common defacto real world behavior. One of the most remarkable things I experience at BM is the lack of competition, judgment and prejudice.
This. So much this.

I have friends who've been Burning since the 90s, both of whom are part of legacy & legendary BM camps, one who's had to use Burner Express & one who flew in (pre-Burner Air), both because of outside work commitments. They still were part of all the off-playa planning and organizing for their camps, and once on the playa they were both part of making them functional and were quite active participants. To claim that people using a form of public transportation don't make BRC "happen" is to live in a Trumpian world where conspiracy theories are reality and anyone who disagrees with your view is obviously wrong. The world is billions of shades of grey, with a tiny thread of black on one end and a tiny thread of white on the other, and nobody lives on those two threads, no matter how much they (or others) think they do. Learn to recognize nuance.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

JohnEBGud
Camp Name: Play-a Piano

Post by JohnEBGud » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:47 pm

It is the height of hubris to suggest that since those people didn't haul every bit of gear they used personally, that they somehow aren't the people who really contribute and make the event happen. It's utterly ridiculous to accuse them of not caring about radical self-reliance, decommodification, community effort, or any of the other ten principles. Some of them have been coming since well before those principles were codified, meaning they helped create the very culture the principles attempt to describe, and that you are so passionately convinced you are defending.
Eric wrote:
kenbrand wrote:Criticize, judge, diminish others, it's sorta common defacto real world behavior. One of the most remarkable things I experience at BM is the lack of competition, judgment and prejudice.
To claim that people using a form of public transportation don't make BRC "happen" is to live in a Trumpian world where conspiracy theories are reality and anyone who disagrees with your view is obviously wrong. The world is billions of shades of grey, with a tiny thread of black on one end and a tiny thread of white on the other, and nobody lives on those two threads, no matter how much they (or others) think they do. Learn to recognize nuance.
What a pity there's no "Like" button on this site.

For the record I'm a tent camper that doesn't stay in a theme camp and drives 800 miles to the event.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.
--Wm. Blake

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”