Belt Bikes

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
XXIII
Burning Since: 2017

Belt Bikes

Post by XXIII » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:30 pm

Had this idea a while ago. Thought I'd bring it forward. In lieu of a chain/gear system that is vulnerable to dust, why not convert a bicycle to use a pulley/belt drive system? Belts are available in a myriad of sizes, as are pulleys. Probably wouldn't take much fabrication expertise to build one..

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Re: Belt Bikes

Post by EGAZ » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:15 pm

Given the dust being basically silt, I suspect there would be some slippage at take off. Along with build up over time as you would never have enough torque to really get the belt to bite and clean the surfaces thoroughly. Assuming you mean V-belt. Now a cogged belt might be the answer. Like a timing belt only thinner. It can be done. And I am betting Elliot has either seen one or has built one. :mrgreen:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:09 pm

In production by many now:
belts.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:31 pm

Yup. Gilmer (cog) belts work fine.
Forget V belts! Huge friction loss.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:12 pm

Bring a replacement belt. I've got replacement chain but no replacement belts and this year we had someone come in to the shop looking for a replacement belt.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:24 am

There are also completely enclosed multi-speed shaft drive bikes. I had one, sold it.
Probably shouldn't have. That's the ultimate playa bike drive.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Post by spacetime » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:36 am

I ride a Priority bike for commuting and it is a belt drive. I have never seen anyone else riding them in the cities I've lived in with it, they are quite rare. Randoms enjoy remarking on their oddity, bike shop people tisk-tisk at their unfamiliarity.

These things are pretty tight and I don't think dust is going to cause them to slip off. I can see it being less vulnerable to being gunked up by playa than a regular chain, too. Particularly given they are normally paired with in-hub gearing like the Shimano Nexus series. As in, there is less exposed mechanics that can go wrong.

After this past year, I think the major issue to be concerned with out there is bottom bracket service.

That said, if you know enough to build a bike with wide enough tires for be sensible for the playa and can customize it such that you also have a belt drive--you probably are going to have your main mode of transportation in cherry enough shape to make it through the week. Fancy, funky chain or not.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:43 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:Bring a replacement belt. I've got replacement chain but no replacement belts and this year we had someone come in to the shop looking for a replacement belt.
What?
It's the playa.
No pantyhose?
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:42 pm

Canoe wrote:
motskyroonmatick wrote:Bring a replacement belt. I've got replacement chain but no replacement belts and this year we had someone come in to the shop looking for a replacement belt.
What?
It's the playa.
No pantyhose?
Didn't think of that. Do Pantyhose work well in high torque low rpm situations on notched pulleys?
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:01 pm

If you get a Clydesdale stomping on it, not a chance.
Someone wanting to get from A to B, knowing they have to be gentle, (leg push to start?), and I bet enough of it tight enough...
Question is: for how long?

The other question would be, what can joint across the broken ends temporarily. I'd be tempted to see what plastic rope can be bonded/melted across the break. Might even be able to sew some fishing line, dental floss or such across, much like joining leather belts of old. Or sew the rope across the break to the belt. Pain to do, but if you haven't a belt?

There's a 'for rubber' crazy type glue with some type of rubber in it, but I haven't had as much success with it as the ad videos show, even with crazy prep, with easy or nasty solvents.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

highwing
Burning Since: 2018

Post by highwing » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:37 pm

I was thinking about getting a Priority Coast for the burn. Do you have any tips or suggestions about maintenance / extra parts / etc? Thanks!
spacetime wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:36 am
I ride a Priority bike for commuting and it is a belt drive. I have never seen anyone else riding them in the cities I've lived in with it, they are quite rare. Randoms enjoy remarking on their oddity, bike shop people tisk-tisk at their unfamiliarity.

These things are pretty tight and I don't think dust is going to cause them to slip off. I can see it being less vulnerable to being gunked up by playa than a regular chain, too. Particularly given they are normally paired with in-hub gearing like the Shimano Nexus series. As in, there is less exposed mechanics that can go wrong.

After this past year, I think the major issue to be concerned with out there is bottom bracket service.

That said, if you know enough to build a bike with wide enough tires for be sensible for the playa and can customize it such that you also have a belt drive--you probably are going to have your main mode of transportation in cherry enough shape to make it through the week. Fancy, funky chain or not.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:47 pm

highwing wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:37 pm
I was thinking about getting a Priority Coast for the burn. Do you have any tips or suggestions about maintenance / extra parts / etc? Thanks
They are expensive, but if you "go there," I see from their site that not all of their bikes have a 3 speed hub.

I use my 3 speed internal hub gears ALL the time: plow thru soft playa, go as fast as possible on hard playa... I need both.

highwing
Burning Since: 2018

Post by highwing » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:49 pm

Good to know. I was thinking about going with the single speed. Maybe the 3 speed is a better option.. Thanks!

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”