Check and Confirm your Vehicle Rental Reservations!

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
MacGlenver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Check and Confirm your Vehicle Rental Reservations!

Postby MacGlenver » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:56 pm

We just called u-haul to check on our reservation (which we made in September 2016) and were informed of a policy change. In the past, you could only select "24 hours" for the reservation length online. When you spoke to them on the phone they'd tell you to just select that and you'd keep the truck longer (eg. 13 days). We've done this for the past 2 years. The person we spoke to just now said that 2 months ago their policy changed and your reservation needs to reflect the true length, and now they don't have availability to extend our reservation.

Anyone run into this? Any suggestions?

We've got a second (backup) reservation in Reno that is likely going to have the same issue, and I've just made a reservation in another city for a truck since none are available in SF; however, we've seen that uhaul's policy is to give preference to people who reserved earliest and they don't manage their inventory of trucks well, so people often get screwed with a small truck (or no truck in many cases).

Thanks!
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: U-Haul Reservation Policy

Postby lucky420 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:05 pm

There was something about this on a FB page. Something about Uhaul not honoring reservations, I'm sorry I really don't remember the exact snafu. I called the phone number on my confirmation to check on my reservation. I was told it was still good. On my confirmation paperwork it states that I'm having the truck for 1 day but the agent told me when I called that I've got it for 15 days.

Did you call the # on your confirmation paperwork/email? I hope this gets worked out for you.

I hate the feeling of never really knowing until you're driving away in the rental
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Postby Admiral Fukkit » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:06 pm

Strong arguments for using your own truck!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:11 pm

MacGlenver wrote: Any suggestions?

Call Hengehold Trucks in Palo Alto.

http://www.htrucks.com/burningman.php

lucky420

Postby lucky420 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:30 pm

Admiral Fukkit wrote:Strong arguments for using your own truck!

My Subaru could never...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Goldies

Postby Zubeneschamali » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:18 am

Nothing against call center people, but a lot of call center people can't think outside of the manual.

If I don't like the answer, I call again until I get someone who can make it work the way I want. Or at least a workable compromise.

If you're located in the South Bay I can give you a couple of options that worked for me in the past, PM me.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:32 am

The AVIS/Budget dealership in midtown Sacramento is very burner-friendly. We have rented our 16' box trucks from them for the past three years without a hitch. PM me if you want the info.

Papa Bear 2014
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Atomic Pussy Photo Lounge

Postby Papa Bear 2014 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:26 am

I reserved a 17' truck in Reno back in June. I checked on the rental several times to make sure that I wouldn't have any issues and was told I was good to go. I wasn't 100% comfortable with the whole "we will call you the day before and tell you where and when you can pick up your truck" concept so I tried again to get my truck scheduled for an early pick up on the morning of the 25th. After being transfered to a few different people I finally spoke with someone that had a clue. When she said " I'm surprised no one called you yet about your rental" I knew there was trouble. I was then told that there would be no truck for me in Reno. Because I kept on top of it we were able to make an alternate but much less convenient plan. I will now have to drive the truck from Salt Lake City but will at least be able to drop it off in Reno after the burn. I can't imagine the chaos that would have ensued if I just showed up at the U-haul counter and was told I wasn't getting a truck. Bottom line, stay on top of your rentals and make sure they will be there for you when you go to pick them up.

lucky420

Postby lucky420 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:33 am

I prepaid mine early yesterday.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:20 am

lucky420 wrote:I prepaid mine early yesterday.

Yeah, but don't you have a Reno address on your license? Makes a difference. :wink:

lucky420

Postby lucky420 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:29 am

Yes I do but I still get the jittery nervous stomach pee mah pants feeling til I'm actually driving it off the lot
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Leap
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Big Puffy Yellow

Postby Leap » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:34 am

I just called to confirm my rental. Good to go!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Check and Confirm your Vehicle Rental Reservations!

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:50 pm

I made a tweak to the subject line of this thread, since that removes the company name from the subject line, and really this is a good discussion filled with solid advice for anyone renting equipment from any company for the event.

Here is what's worked for me and my camp needs.

When you make your bookings, make sure to take note of the booking number (you never know when a company's web site redesign may lose the 'order history' info). Print or save to PDF a copy of the rental agreement and confirmation emails. At that time, double check the fine print to see if they may have a problem with you're renting it for, or the dates you're looking to rent for. If the web form only lets you specify x number of days and you need x+ additional days, get in touch with that company's customer service department. Sometimes they can make these arrangements through email or a web form, other times you'll need to call and talk to someone on the phone.

If you're calling someone, make sure to get their name, and take note of the time and date you spoke to them and they confirmed that things have changed. Many companies, once a change in the schedule has been made, will re-send you the confirmation email. Double check the pickup and dropoff days and times. Print or save new confirmation that to PDF.

If you're renting/returning gear in Reno or San Francisco, I would also suggest periodically checking on the status of the reservation. I check my equipment reservation by logging into the web site and looking at my order. If the site has changed or anything doesn't look right, I call the customer service number.

Another piece of advice that pays off in the long term... make sure you return that equipment cleaner than it looked when you picked it up. People returning trashed vehicles and sacrificing the cleaning deposit only serves to do two things... one, it goes into the order notes that they can see for future orders... and two, it reinforces the negative stereotype that burners treat the equipment badly.

MacGlenver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Re: Check and Confirm your Vehicle Rental Reservations!

Postby MacGlenver » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:07 am

A post-burn update on how this turned out:

1) Because of the uncertainty in our bookings, we reserved a 26 foot U-haul truck from "The Rental Place" in Sonoma, CA using U-haul's website (Sonoma was the closest site with availability). We did this on Aug 1 (~3 weeks before pickup), and it ended up being the truck that we used. We got an email confirmation from uhaul 24 hours before pickup, and the ppl at the shop were very helpful in confirming that the truck was actually on site, etc. Worked out without a problem, and our mileage rate was $0.99/mile instead of the $1.89/mile we had on our original reservation in SF that we made a year ago.
2) Our original U-haul reservation in SF (the one we booked 1 year ago for 1 day, which their original policy let you keep as long as you needed) didn't call us to confirm our pickup time within the 24 hours they say they would. They eventually called us at our scheduled pickup time to say they had our truck, but by that time we already had our other truck and the problem with the 1 day rental duration remained, so we just let it go.
3) Our backup Reno Uhaul reservation called us 24 hours in advance and they also had the truck we reserved, but we passed on that as well.

As an aside, we are now the proud inheritors of a bmorg 20x8x8 storage container, and all our shit fit in it (amazing), so we will (hopefully) never have to deal with this truck mess again.

Thank you all for the advice and support!
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”