How long will it take to leave BRC?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
StellaDella828
Burning Since: 2017

How long will it take to leave BRC?

Postby StellaDella828 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:32 pm

Hi everyone!

I am trying to plan ahead on what time to leave Burning Man, I will be leaving on the 3rd the day before the man burns, I have a long 10 hour drive ahead of me and a flight to catch the following morning, I'm looking for a ballpark range of how long it will take me to exit BRC that day ? I'm planning on packing up camp and being ready to go by 6:00-7:00am and am just trying to get an idea of how long to expect for wait times getting out. Any tips and advice are much appreciated !

Sham

Re: How long will it take to leave BRC?

Postby Sham » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:10 pm

StellaDella828 wrote:Hi everyone!

I am trying to plan ahead on what time to leave Burning Man, I will be leaving on the 3rd the day before the man burns, I have a long 10 hour drive ahead of me and a flight to catch the following morning, I'm looking for a ballpark range of how long it will take me to exit BRC that day ? I'm planning on packing up camp and being ready to go by 6:00-7:00am and am just trying to get an idea of how long to expect for wait times getting out. Any tips and advice are much appreciated !

Welcome to eplaya. You're asking a perennial question with a movable answer. First, the Man will burn on Saturday night on September 2nd. You are planning on leaving on Sunday, September 3rd. Depending on the weather, you should most likely be able to drive right out of BRC and hit the pavement within a half hour. So many factors play into this. If there were no Amber Alerts, rain, threat of rain, wind, whiteouts etc.
Last year, 2016 was really the only time in years I had a horrible delay in getting out---and that was on Monday morning as the event was winding down.
If your flight is the following morning, you have a nice cushion of hotel time in case you're delayed by an accident you may come across on the highway.

I hope this info helps.

Sham....

StellaDella828

Postby StellaDella828 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:32 pm

Thanks that helps immensely ! I'm (obviously) a virgin, didn't know the man burned before I left, which is awesome!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:07 am

I'm giving this a nudge over to bikes and transportation, since that's a better fit for a discussion about transportation from the playa.

I'll also strongly suggest that if you have not already done so, read through the Survival Guide and first timer's guide, they contain a wealth of information about the event and are considered required reading for all participants (the first timer's guide once, and the SG each year as some info does change from one year to the next).

I'll also echo what Sham said - the answer to that question is filled with a BUNCH of variables that are difficult to predict. I disagree on one point though, in perfect conditions with zero traffic you could theoretically expect to get from your camp site to the paved road in around 45-60 minutes (I stay after the crowds, and that's how long it takes me to leave), and from there it's another 2ish hours to Reno. Weather and the number of vehicles leaving at the same time are major factors, dust storms are pretty much impossible to predict and the number of cars can vary pretty wildly too.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:12 am

Or if there's an "Amber Alert" and some idiot 17-year-old is out screwing her boyfriend and is reported "missing" the entire place can get shut down for hours--I'm talking about eight hours--and you are hostage to the P.C. Nazis. So there really isn't any answer to that question.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:06 am

https://twitter.com/bmantraffic reports outbound gate road to Fernley. BMIR also has departure news. The unpredictable part is the pulse lineup delay. I don't believe that is reported - correct me if I'm wrong. Nor is the camp to pulse lineup delay reported. Someday we'll have a fancy realtime satellite video feed.

It's nice if you have the time on the road for some food and a shower - truck stops have them, with clean clothes to change into. So things like that can be your buffer time.

If you happen to be heading North on 447, there is almost never any congestion, just watch for cattle in the road and do not swerve for jackrabbits. I knew someone who hit a steer with an RV on that road and the RV was in the shop for a year. I also know someone towing a trailer outbound who was tired and flipped it, requiring serious hospitalization. YMMV
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Netty58
Burning Since: 2014

Postby Netty58 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:29 am

aghhhh the cattle on 447.

Big horned thing scared the crap out of me in 2014 during an early early morning exodus.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:22 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Or if there's an "Amber Alert" and some idiot 17-year-old is out screwing her boyfriend and is reported "missing" the entire place can get shut down for hours--I'm talking about eight hours--and you are hostage to the P.C. Nazis. So there really isn't any answer to that question.

Indeed.

I got caught in that Monday mess in 2016, and it took me 7 hours to get from my campsite to the asphalt . . . not counting the driving afterward. In 2015, however, Monday afternoon was easy.

So yeah--no answer. Amber alerts and terrible weather can disrupt anything.

Sundays are not a guarantee of a fast commute either. In 2012 and 2013, it took me 6 hours to get out on a Sunday.

Basically, expect madness and don't cut things too close. Figure that you may have a long wait and then a long drive. Have beverages and protein-filled snacks where you can reach them.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:32 pm

42. Don't forget your towel.

(Edit: There is a fine line between Smartass & Dumbass & I cross it regularly. Do not follow too closely)
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

rbgilbert
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Burner Buddies

Postby rbgilbert » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:49 pm

Are you leaving on the 3rd or the day before the man burns? The day before the man burns is the 1st. The only limiting factor on leaving that day is the speed limit, so that means, what, 45 minutes to pavement if you really restrict your speed.

StellaDella828

Postby StellaDella828 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:21 pm

I'm leaving on the third, and I am prepared for delays to be unpredictable, im just trying to get an rough idea of how long it would take to leave on the 3rd providing that nothing like a huge storm or amber alert happens, if it happens it will require me to drive through the night but and skip getting a hotel before getting to the airport but like I said I can handle that if it does happen. I'm just trying to be as informed as possible and don't worry everyone I've read pretty much the entire Burning Man website including the survival guide, just trying to get some feedback outside of the B.M webpage. Thanks for all your answers so far!!!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:50 pm

The 3rd is going to be one of the two busiest days for people to leave (the 4th is the other). I would honestly give yourself 6 hours to go from camp to pavement, and another 3 to Reno (if you're going that way). We've made it from camp to Reno in as few as four hours and as long as over 12, it seems to average out to around 6-8 when we left on Sundays.

Note: if you go to bed early after the Man burns & have your stuff packed & ready to roll, your best time is probably sunrise-ish or shortly before on Sunday. Unless, of course, it isn't. :lol:
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:36 pm

Eric wrote:The 3rd is going to be one of the two busiest days for people to leave (the 4th is the other). I would honestly give yourself 6 hours to go from camp to pavement, and another 3 to Reno (if you're going that way). We've made it from camp to Reno in as few as four hours and as long as over 12, it seems to average out to around 6-8 when we left on Sundays.

Note: if you go to bed early after the Man burns & have your stuff packed & ready to roll, your best time is probably sunrise-ish or shortly before on Sunday. Unless, of course, it isn't. :lol:

Totally agree about getting up early & beating as much of the crowd as possible. I can never sleep much after the sun hits my tent so I have made a point to ride my bike to 6:00 & watch the exodus on Sunday & Monday & the early risers usually have the advantage & shorter wait.

Of course weather, world events back home, & other factors will always throw a wrench in the best laid plans but having a plan is a start.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”