Fat Tire Bikes

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
pedroescobar
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Fat Tire Bikes

Postby pedroescobar » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:57 am

So I picked up a single speed fat tire bike for myself, but I'm trying to decide if I should go single speed or 8 speed for my wife. She is a little less comfortable on a bike as she didn't grow up riding them. I'd prefer the simplicity of the single speed vs dealing with gears but I'm wondering if it will be a lot easier for her to have gears.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Re: Fat Tire Bikes

Postby TT120 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:08 am

Yes, it will be MUCH easier with gears. I have been bringing a bike with gears for the last 5 years and never had a problem. Just make sure it's working before you get to the Playa.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Postby ACfromSAC » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:47 am

Yes, gears. There will inevitably be some point during the week where she's pedaling against the wind through the dunes. She'll be happy that she has gears when that time arrives.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Postby Papa Bear » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:40 pm

Gears do add some complexity, and you'll need to do a little more maintenance after the event on them, but as someone whose knees are a little dodgy I definitely appreciate having them.

I wouldn't suggest a front derailleur on any playa bike, though - there's no need for that many gears, and they're less mechanically sound. In fact, I believe Elliot's technique for "fixing" them is complete removal.

(That's obviously not an issue for the one you're considering, just thought it would be worth repeating for other readers who may wander along in the future.)

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:49 pm

Don't forget spare bike innertubes, a LOCK, a basket (perhaps), and chain lube (White Lightning clean ride is nice). :)

Never leave your bikes unlocked, even at the portos. Lock bikes to themselves so they can't be ridden, if there is nothing else.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:51 pm

If you do decide to get a single speed you might want to swap out the gears for a lower gear ratio to make it easier to pedal. Wading through dunes is no joke.

Oh and as mentioned above: get a lock!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

rmc50
Burning Since: 2013

Postby rmc50 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:46 pm

I second the change in gearing idea.

I have a fat tire bike, single speed. While the stock gearing was fine for paved roads back home it was a bit much for the playa. Changing the gear was very easy, and didn't cost much.

You can go up a tooth or two in size easily. Beyond that you might need to add links to the chain.

R.Mc.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”