Where To Donate Bicycle After BM ?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
mentalfloss
Burning Since: 2014

Where To Donate Bicycle After BM ?

Post by mentalfloss » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:44 pm

I searched the ePlaya forums, but wasn't able to find some discussion about which Theme camps accept donated bicycles, at the end of the week of BM ?

I know the 'Yellow Bicycle' program only accepts a specific bicycle model but are there any other camps ?

Do Reno Bike Project have a camp there ?

:?:

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Where To Donate Bicycle After BM ?

Post by trilobyte » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:34 am

I can appreciate that you want to be a single use/disposable burner, but the idea is that what you pack in, you also pack out. If it is a Huffy Cranbrook the yellow bike program can accept it, but otherwise you would want to plan on hauling the bike back out with you. I have occasionally seen roadside stands that accept bike donations, though depending on when you're leaving they may not be open or may be overwhelmed with traffic. You may also care to look up the Reno Bike Project, I believe they have at least one location in Reno where they accept donations after the event. You might also want to try having a discussion on playa with one of the bike camps, though since they tend to get overwhelmed with people wanting to dump broken, damaged, or just junky gear... as well as hauling their own stuff, they may not be interested in random dropoffs. Again, plan to pack it out with you - that way if you're unable to find a taker, you aren't either leaving a trace (bikes are MOOP) or risking an improperly secured load on the highway.

DrCook
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Cosmic Giggle

Post by DrCook » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:53 am

Stars and Bikes, at 5:30 and L this year, takes bike donations of all kinds. http://www.starsandbikes.com/

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:18 am

Also check out art bikes.
Apparently liaised with Community Bike Program, Burners Without Borders and Department of Public Works.

Not sure if you can just 'drop' a bicycle at their site, probably best to walk / cycle by and ask.

On the other hand they may end up with surplus for the Stars and Bikes?
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:33 am

And this is exactly how good intentions become a clusterfuck.

If these good samaritans want to do their thing, they should do it off-playa. Set up shop in Reno and take the bikes here.

Eventually, there will be a big assed pile of unwanted bikes left over by one of these camps.

Not to mention that it sucks to enable and entitle a few schmucks who think their shit smells like roses and they cannot be bothered to pack-it-out. "But, I'm donating my trash for free, really, I'm doing a generous thing here".

Fun fact:

Every time you take a shit in a JOTS-box you are donating your excrement to the garlic farm just up the road where it is used as fertilizer.

Now you can feel good about yourself donating every morning. Philanthropist, every last one of us.

Violentlyunoriginal
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Violentlyunoriginal » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:30 pm

The Kiwanis Bike Program accepts bike donation's at the airport, whole foods, and their bike shop in North Reno. We fix them up and sell them to burners in need of basic dusty bikes and use the proceeds to fund our children's programs. We are able to give about 1000 children a year free bikes, largely due to our Burning man sales and some dedicated volunteers.

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:56 pm

Reno Bike Project
541 E 4th St
Reno NV

Just east of Valley Rd, ALMOST catty corner from the Burner Morris Hotel
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”