LAST MINUTE PREPS: BURNER EXPRESS - WATER ADD ON option related

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
prashant
Burning Since: 2017

LAST MINUTE PREPS: BURNER EXPRESS - WATER ADD ON option related

Postby prashant » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:38 pm

Hello all,

Looking for clarification on my understanding around water add-on option on the burner express. I'm virgin burner from abroad (far far away).

Burner express has an option of water add with below info on the ticket purchase screen: [ https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bxb-reno-t ... 3376531103]

''
WATER ADD-ON (5-Gallons): Sunday 8/27 more info
Pre-purchase water to have it waiting for you at the Burner Express Depot in Black Rock City and avoid hauling it on the bus. YOU MUST BRING YOUR OWN CONTAINER! We recommend collapsable 5-gallon containers so they fit in your luggage & don't require additional fees. There's a limit of 20gal/rider & water must be filled upon your arrival in BRC. Water is only available to riders of the Burner Express, please do not purchase for others.
''
The price for this add on is 7.50 + 1.41(fees), approx 9 dollars.

Now it makes 9 X 4 (20 gallon is the limit to pre-purchase per ticket) = 36

Now my questions

1. The above cost is for the water and transportation cost?

2. On a quick research i found a 5 litre collapsible container cost about 9 dollars each. Is there place to buy at a better rate than 9?

3. I would need 4 containers to collect at the bus depot or I can buy 2 containers and come back when its over to collect again anytime during the week? i think lugging more than a gallon on bike would be a challenge in itself?

4. Is 20 gallon sufficient for the week? I need to have shower everyday even if it is very brief

p.s. I would have 2 more questions seperately raised regarding a) bike rental vs buy and b) a ride share request from Reno to playa. If you like the quality of my question and have advice on these, please do spare a minute more and share your advice on those too.

Cheers
Prashant

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Re: LAST MINUTE PREPS: BURNER EXPRESS - WATER ADD ON option related

Postby BBadger » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:40 am

prashant wrote:Looking for clarification on my understanding around water add-on option on the burner express. I'm virgin burner from abroad (far far away).

The answers below are just speculation. You ought to contact the service directly if you need to be sure.

You're purchasing access to fill up your own containers at the BxB depot at Burning Man with the amount of water you purchased -- provided you brought your own water containers.

2. On a quick research i found a 5 litre collapsible container cost about 9 dollars each. Is there place to buy at a better rate than 9?

You need a five (5) GALLON container, not liter. Again, gallon, not liter. A 5-gallon container is roughly 19 liters in volume. We do not use the metric system here for camping water containers.

Paying $9 a container is just fine. What's more important is that you get a good one that doesn't leak.

3. I would need 4 containers to collect at the bus depot or I can buy 2 containers and come back when its over to collect again anytime during the week? i think lugging more than a gallon on bike would be a challenge in itself?

You probably need to fill all your water at once. I've heard that they do a shuttle or something to some areas of the city, so you might be able to transport that close to your camp. Otherwise, you'll probably need to make multiple trips.

4. Is 20 gallon sufficient for the week? I need to have shower everyday even if it is very brief

You tell me. How much water do you think you'll drink per day, and how much do you need to wash with? Calculate it out.

The BM website suggests 1.5 gallons of water per day. If you're staying the whole week, that's about 10.5 gallons for a week, or about 2x 5 gallon containers.

That probably includes short showers too. Some people like taking longer showers; some people don't shower at all. I think that 1.5 gallons/day is often excessive, but it errs on the side of safety, and I usually have a ton of other drinks.

I'd probably just bring 10 gallons of water and call it good if you have other drinks available.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:22 am

Adding to Mr Badger's good advice...

5 gallons = 19 kg = 41 pounds

While you may think you need a shower, on this campout you can only take a shower if your camp has a way to manage the shower water. That is legally required by the US Bureau of Land Management, the US federal government parks agency that is responsible for the land where the event is held. They have strict rules and have a large enforcement group. In fact they gave a citation to a camp I was visiting at the moment I was there for not following the grey water rules.

The term for that here is grey water or gray water.

https://burningman.org/event/preparatio ... ray-water/

The problem is that after you shower, the water is not clean. It has body hair and whatever material was around your poop hole - poop. Those cannot touch the ground.

I would argue that it is impossible for a Burner Express solo camper to manage grey water.

You can search eplaya for wipe bath.

Maybe next year in addition to the Bx* ticket option, water option, the bike option and garbage service, they will add the grey water-shower service, the sound system service, the shade structure service, air conditioner + power grid service, grill and propane service, hand truck-wagon service, sherpa delivery service, concierge language translation service, USA SIM card service, build your camp and they will come serviceTM, fresh produce and grocery delivery service and a meal plan? They could call it the Lost Gypsy Flower Power Expresscicle Service.

There have sometimes been a few camps, like Astral Headwash, the Human Poly Carcass Wash and others you will have to find on your own: hours long lines with a communal wash. I'm not big on lines, but they are great for conversations!

Welcome to your first burn! (It is not necessary to use CAPS in titles or posts)
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

prashant
Burning Since: 2017

Postby prashant » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:46 am

BBadger wrote:
prashant wrote:Looking for clarification on my understanding around water add-on option on the burner express. I'm virgin burner from abroad (far far away).

The answers below are just speculation. You ought to contact the service directly if you need to be sure.

You're purchasing access to fill up your own containers at the BxB depot at Burning Man with the amount of water you purchased -- provided you brought your own water containers.

You need a five (5) GALLON container, not liter. Again, gallon, not liter. A 5-gallon container is roughly 19 liters in volume. We do not use the metric system here for camping water containers.

Paying $9 a container is just fine. What's more important is that you get a good one that doesn't leak.

You probably need to fill all your water at once. I've heard that they do a shuttle or something to some areas of the city, so you might be able to transport that close to your camp. Otherwise, you'll probably need to make multiple trips.

You tell me. How much water do you think you'll drink per day, and how much do you need to wash with? Calculate it out.

The BM website suggests 1.5 gallons of water per day. If you're staying the whole week, that's about 10.5 gallons for a week, or about 2x 5 gallon containers.

That probably includes short showers too. Some people like taking longer showers; some people don't shower at all. I think that 1.5 gallons/day is often excessive, but it errs on the side of safety, and I usually have a ton of other drinks.

I'd probably just bring 10 gallons of water and call it good if you have other drinks available.

Thanks BB for your reply !!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:35 am

I bring 11 gallons and clean up with handy wipes and a spray bottle.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

AfricanFire
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash formerly Kidsville

Postby AfricanFire » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:25 pm

some seeing eye wrote:There have sometimes been a few camps, like Astral Headwash, the Human Poly Carcass Wash and others you will have to find on your own: hours long lines with a communal wash. I'm not big on lines, but they are great for conversations!

Just to clarify. Astral Headwash will be there for its 20th year. 4.45 and E or thereabouts. But, we only wash heads, not bodies. And it's not a 'communal' wash - individual head washing with clean water. Hours are Noon - 4pm Mon- Fri. Get there early because there will be a line. If you are willing, we will train you to wash the heads of others in line and keep your place in the line so you can spend your wait time under shade with your hands in cool water, and getting to know a bunch of people instead of standing in the sun. We have volunteer head washers who wash well past their line spot because they have so much fun doing it.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:29 am

Please note that water is picked up when you arrive so be prepared to get all your water at the depot when you get there. It is in the paragraph you quoted.

water must be filled upon your arrival in BRC.

For your showers, try at home, right now and see how much water you need.

I would look at using a hand sprayer similar to this one

Set down a small plastic tarp, put a towel on it, stand on towel, use sprayer for your shower, make sure all water gets caught by towel.

Then you hang the towel to dry while placing the tarp under it to catch any drips.

General water use is 1 gallon (3.89 L) for drinking, 0.5 gallon for washing. Maybe more, maybe less, depends on the person but a good starting point.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”