can a 20' fordable bike be useful at BM?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
cabreranat
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: O C

can a 20' fordable bike be useful at BM?

Postby cabreranat » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:13 am

can a 20' inch tires fordable bike be useful at BM?
Last edited by cabreranat on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: can a 20' fordable bike be useful at BM?

Postby Token » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:24 am

cabreranat wrote:can a 20' fordable bike be useful at BM?

Well, the lake on the Playa has fully evaporated and the surface is hard-pack clay.

There will be no need for fording anything out there, but even if there were any fordable stretches of water a bike would not be the best vessel to cross.

Now a 20 foot bike, that I would like to see regardless of any river crossing ability.

If you are actually talking about a 20" (inch) tire sized folding bike, they work OK out there, just like any bike. Not really heavy duty enough in my opinion, but workable.

cabreranat
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: O C

Postby cabreranat » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:39 am

Yeah, cause if i bought a 20' inch tires fordable bike I can take it with myself going back to my country
Txs

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:11 pm

It should work fine. Be sure to lock it always when not riding. Lots of bikes get "borrowed" out there.

I'd also clean it well and lube all the important points with a dry lubricant before flying back home.

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:13 pm

cabreranat wrote:can a 20' inch tires fordable bike be useful at BM?

Reports has the hard surface breaking up into the fine dust we're all used to.
Sometimes that can result in pools of dust or mini berms of dust that bog a bike with narrow tires (or any bike in some years) down.
But any bike is considered better than no bike, even if you have to get off and push it through an occasional obstacle.

Do search on how to protect it, both from the environment and from two-legged hazards.
Various threads on that.
If it is a special bike (cost, or special to you), then pay even more attention to the recommendations.
"My favorite people are the people of the dessert", said Lawrence as he picked up his fork.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”