DPW looking for people to come get some bikes.

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Krokodyle
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too / Camp Space Hole

Re: DPW looking for people to come get some bikes.

Post by Krokodyle » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:12 am

gaminwench wrote:The report from BRC is that almost all of the bikes are gone now.
Yay for local burners going back out to get those things off the playa.
Yay, indeed. Woke up to this news and couldn't be more proud of and grateful to these people. :D
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.

"DON'T TELL ME HOW TO BURN™"

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:26 am

Yup, the pile is much smaller now. Who's that in the background??
bikedump2017.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:34 am

You're right!!!

I think that's Millicent!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:40 am

I think the problem has been ignored too long in order to cling to the "you really should be taking your own bike off the playa" ideal.

Lock your bike, of course. If everyone locked their bike, then 75% of these bikes wouldn't be here.

But maybe facilitate the bike leavers by connecting them to the people who would want to help. On Gate Road during exodus, perhaps have a "leave some bikes, take some bikes" pile. Anything making it to that pile will get a piece of bright colored flagging tape tied to it and considered abandoned, and you can pick some up if you have room.

The existence of such a bike pile would officially acknowledge something shitty about the population of Burning Man, but that ship sailed long ago.

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:01 am

Still entirely possible someone dumps a "borrowed" bicycle
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:15 am

Just heard from a campmate who went up to BRC this morning, bikes are gone. She's coming back empty handed
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:54 am

lucky420 wrote:Just heard from a campmate who went up to BRC this morning, bikes are gone. She's coming back empty handed
YAAAAAAS. Thank God. I hope Elliot made out like a bandit!

Thanks for the report, Lucky!

</Moderator hat>

Now if only we can get a official policy shift re: unlocked, abandoned bikes, based on a reasonable timeframe.

<Moderator hat>
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

cranberries
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Hibernaculum

Post by cranberries » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:48 pm

maladroit wrote:I think the problem has been ignored too long in order to cling to the "you really should be taking your own bike off the playa" ideal.

Lock your bike, of course. If everyone locked their bike, then 75% of these bikes wouldn't be here.

But maybe facilitate the bike leavers by connecting them to the people who would want to help. On Gate Road during exodus, perhaps have a "leave some bikes, take some bikes" pile. Anything making it to that pile will get a piece of bright colored flagging tape tied to it and considered abandoned, and you can pick some up if you have room.

The existence of such a bike pile would officially acknowledge something shitty about the population of Burning Man, but that ship sailed long ago.
Which I totally agree with, especially since bikes are a resource that people want and will stop to harvest.

But one obvious problem is the assholes that will turn a "leave one kind of thing here" pile into a "leave everything I don't want" pile, and the bike station becomes overrun with yurts, fridges, etc. To say nothing of trash. Unfortunately I think the Borg is between a rock and a hard place - cling mercilessly to the Leave No Trace ideal vs. creating an opportunity for people to completely abandon that principle altogether. I would like to think that a leave bikes here pile would not be abused by the subset of people who are already behaving badly, but realistically I think they totaly would.

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:25 pm

It would need to be manned so only bikes & racks go in the pile for sure. And there will still be bikes left on playa and in the city but this would be a good start to centralize the pile. Then see how many continue to be left on playa/city. It would be cheap/easy to implement too. The Burning Man Bike Harvest..... :lol:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:48 pm

Traveller in Time wrote:Still entirely possible someone dumps a "borrowed" bicycle
I'd expect that many of the "borrowed" bikes wouldn't make it out to the pile. They will typically drop them carelessly anywhere rather than work so hard to take the bike over to Cycle Mountain.

Which means that we need a two-pronged approach.

1. Stop the borrowed/lost bike problem. Lock your bike and put your camp address on it. Establish a real lost-and-found for bikes instead of having them exist in a someone-else's-problem blind spot.

2. Recognize that there is already a mistaken belief that you can just leave your unwanted bike, and it seems that no amount of education is working to fight that belief. So provide a place to put your unwanted bike, which then makes them fair game for other burners to take away without fear they are stealing bikes.

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:03 pm

You can't win. Anything like that makes it OK for people to just plan on dumping their bikes.

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:08 pm

One question. How many of the leftover bikes actually still worked? Could it be that a lot of the dumping is people who's bikes fall apart (Cheap or not well cared for) just say "fuck it" and leave them where they finally broke down?
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:39 pm

Maybe if they weren't waving knives around at innocent burners all the time more people would be inclined to leave less of a mess for DPW to deal with.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:05 pm

I vote for: The Fuck It!

BORG and DPW had it coming.

G&P is also on that path... close, very close to assholier than thou.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:13 pm

Admiral Fukkit wrote:You can't win. Anything like that makes it OK for people to just plan on dumping their bikes.
This is about recognizing that we've lost, and dealing with the problem as it exists rather than how we hoped it would be.

Admiral Fukkit

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:38 pm

And all of this shit comes down to all the catering to fly-in people, the camps that provide for total fucking strangers for a fee, the bus service, the new emphasis on carpooling.... more and more ways to sell tickets to people who aren't able to pack it in and pack it out.
Could there be any other outcome?

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:41 pm

It was obvious to anyone who cared about the actual event, rather than getting attention from VIPs via special treatment and feeling a little bit like rock stars. Bad news: we're all roadies.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:53 am

I hate the barrier to entry shift from effort-to-attend to ability-to-just-obtain-a-ticket. It keeps out the people who can dedicate the time, effort, and dedication but may struggle to even find a ticket, and favors those who can just throw money at getting in. At a minimum people should have to drive their own accommodations in, even if carpooling. At least then the struggle is meeting and cooperating with other burners to attend, not just buying some ticket reserved for a bus service.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Bless

Post by Bless » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:13 am

If you thought left-behind bikes were bad, there's at least seven trailers or RVs that have been abandoned between Nixon and Gerlach.

Talk about matter-out-of-place...
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:19 am

That's bad due the scale of the moop, but that's evidence of like seven assholes versus 5,000 assholes. They're off-playa at least.

TT120
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:24 am

Admiral Fukkit wrote:And all of this shit comes down to all the catering to fly-in people, the camps that provide for total fucking strangers for a fee, the bus service, the new emphasis on carpooling.... more and more ways to sell tickets to people who aren't able to pack it in and pack it out.
Could there be any other outcome?
This.

All the BORGS efforts to make it easy to get there are backfiring. Burning Man is hard. It should be hard. People need to be totally invested in coming and making it happen. STOP MAKING IT EASY TO GO!
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:31 am

Bless wrote:If you thought left-behind bikes were bad, there's at least seven trailers or RVs that have been abandoned between Nixon and Gerlach.

Looks as though they had the presence of mind to continue on with the frame and wheels, who wants that rotten old shell anyways?... Keep the meat and potatoes, discard the wilted salad.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Admiral Fukkit

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:45 pm

The word on the street is people can order a new bike, I believe from the WalMart in Reno, delivered to the playa. In the goddamm box.
Then after the event... you, uh, take it home on the airplane... right... ??
A friend of mine who fixes bikes said someone actually brought one of these to him to be assembled. And left the box behind as a gift.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:24 pm

Bless wrote:If you thought left-behind bikes were bad, there's at least seven trailers or RVs that have been abandoned between Nixon and Gerlach.

:o :shock: :o

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:07 pm

There are of course plans to get these cleaned up
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:18 pm

I don't doubt it! I'm just astonished by the number.

Bless

Post by Bless » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:56 pm

maladroit wrote:That's bad due the scale of the moop, but that's evidence of like seven assholes versus 5,000 assholes. They're off-playa at least.
At least moop on the playa is self-contained and not bothersome to the local populace. I think this gives TTITD an even worse reputation vis-a-vis the folks that live there.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:24 pm

Bless wrote:
maladroit wrote:That's bad due the scale of the moop, but that's evidence of like seven assholes versus 5,000 assholes. They're off-playa at least.
At least moop on the playa is self-contained and not bothersome to the local populace. I think this gives TTITD an even worse reputation vis-a-vis the folks that live there.
Not sure how much worse it can get. The problems that have existed over the years have always been amplified to the maximum capacity that anyone there wants to hear about it. So they won't notice a net increase of bad stories. A small number of locals will be in the position to notice an actual increase in problems (gas station attendants, people with houses near the relevant roads) but to most people it will feel the same.

If we somehow fix this problem on-playa it will also help the off-playa problems...and that is the only place we could actually do anything anyway.

Having the whole event take a break for a few years and relocate might be the best thing that could happen.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:36 pm

Actually the playa and surrounding desert as a whole are in better shape due to the LNT scene which came about through BM's use and restoration of the area and more interest and awareness through groups like Friends of Black Rock. From what I understand the margins of the playa used to be the local's trash dump, complete with junk vehicles and appliances and the such...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:36 pm

Savannah wrote:I don't doubt it! I'm just astonished by the number.
Hopefully cycled back to the playa in subsequent years, and a bonus to those providing bicycles to residents of Reno and surrounding.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”